Franchise and draft apathy

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
You mean how fans of all 32 teams boo Goodell? lol He still there.

I work hard all day and during the season come game day I look forward to the games, especially the Cowboys game. If I felt it was a punishment or I did not enjoy it then why in the world would I watch it? What is it just a habit? lol
I really do not know what to say to anyone who will sit there and watch and so call pull for a team and is miserable doing it.
Given the turnover in players from 1 season to the next I think more than ever this is a year to year league, before FA you built a team, you had guys on the bench who sat a year or 2 before becoming starters but those days are gone. Now it a year to year game. So I don't care about 27 years ago, I care about this year.

I was a fan of this team before the Jones's ....... And I will be a fan of this team long after Jerry is worm food.

But I am not gonna smile and say "oh Jerry you are the best"

Guy is a piece of trash GM and Owner and I will say it everytime it is brought up until he is not.

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
The Cowboys often have good drafts. And in a few years the good players they draft and their agents take advantage of team with terrible contract extensions. Even so the draft is not management's biggest area of weakness. Jones & Son are very reluctant to sign quality FA talent and seem to shy away from trading for name players. IMO if you are going to build a quality roster with the potential for making a deep playoff run you must use all three available channels....the draft, free agency and smart trades. It is a tough business building a roster and takes sound management and a generous amount of good luck. Jones & Son seem to lack both.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
The only thing that would frustrate the fan base even more is to watch Jerry trade out of the first round to pick up an extra third and fifth.

You say that like it's a bad idea.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I was a fan of this team before the Jones's ....... And I will be a fan of this team long after Jerry is worm food.

But I am not gonna smile and say "oh Jerry you are the best"

Guy is a piece of trash GM and Owner and I will say it everytime it is brought up until he is not.

who said anything about saying Oh Jerry your the best? lol I don't watch the Cowboys because of Jerry Jones, I don't have the same hate as other do because in the end I hope he gets what he is trying to get and that is SB. People can disagree about things he is doing and at times I have as well but ultimately we all want the same thing which is a SB.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
It is what it is and we all know why. Still follow, still look forward to the draft and games, but not emotionally invested anymore.

The Cowboys are now just a distraction from an otherwise crazy world. Don't get your hopes up and enjoy the show. :popcorn:

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I'm right there with ya, duder.

I love draft coverage, and usually build my own board in an excel file. Love listening to Broaddus, Cavanaugh, and Brugler break it all down too but haven't tuned into a draft show once and the draft is less than a week away. Been focused more on hockey and baseball, hilariously.

Crazy.

Same

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
I almost think of the draft as separate of the Cowboys and even in some small way kinda an art and science guessing enigma, so even not a sports thing altogether. This year I am committed to the belief the Cowboys will mess it up big time, kinda like how that third round unfolded last year it was overdraft mayhem. This draft will not fix the woes this offseason, but might slowly help the longrun of 2023-24. Let's just hope they have the best draft in the entire history of drafts.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You say that like it's a bad idea.

It would be a bad idea. Recent history has shown trading out of the first round for extra picks hasn’t worked for the Cowboys. All we did was trade down in 2009 with our first pick being in the third round. We ended up drafting 12 players that didn’t amount to anything.

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
We all knew these days were coming. We're no different than the Lions or the Jets. The shine has worn off and the glory days of "Americas team" are gone.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I will be excited for the draft because the only way this team can win is if we have hall of famers at each position ...... But I will no longer fall for the Jones's bull crap.

If the crowd would start loudly roaring boos at the Jones's every time they show their face, maybe something would change, but I do not think this fan base is smart enough to do that.
I'm not even sure that would matter, as Jerry's puppet coach would have them anything but ready come playoff time.

He fully thinks it's all about the players and that coaches mean nothing. Meanwhile there's been several HOF players in and out of here that didn't sniff an NFC CG, nevermind a ring, and the only time we had success was when we had credible coaches as opposed to Jerry's puppets training on the job.

I thought MM was supposed to have some magic words to tell the team in January since he won a SB before. Great stuff lol. Jerry got sold and he knows it.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
It would be a bad idea. Recent history has shown trading out of the first round for extra picks hasn’t worked for the Cowboys. All we did was trade down in 2009 with our first pick being in the third round. We ended up drafting 12 players that didn’t amount to anything.

There's always a first time! Go for it, Jerry!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
There's always a first time! Go for it, Jerry!

I’ll promise you there will be a mega meltdown on this board if he trades out of the first round. lol It’s not like our second round picks have turned out well.

RS12

Reaction score
The people that own the Honda Accord still don't know how to drive it.

Verdict

Reaction score
Year after year, fans are relegated to hope and optimism that "this year will be different" only to realize after every season, "It was the same result again."

I think the biggest issue with many fans is that everything has been changed from the head coach down and none of those changes have produced any better results. New coordinator? Same result. New quarterback? Same result. New coach? Same result. The only unchanged variables in the Cowboys equation is team ownership and the front office.

What adds salt to the wounds of many fans is that every year fans have been filled with hope and optimism only to be let down and get nothing in return while the team owners continue to see their revenues climb and their wealth increase due to the Cowboys financial valuation increasing every year.

In other words, fans get misery and disappointment from failed seasons, team ownership gets financially rewarded for them.
I totally agree with everything you just said. The Cowboys organization certainly shares its part of the blame and its significant.

But we have really been hosed by the NFL (Goodell) and the officials. I don’t care whether people want to acknowledge it or not, it’s real.

I don’t think Jerry “meddles” that much anymore. I see the main issues, organizationally as follows:

1. We WAY overpay to keep marginal/over the hill talent.

2. We have historically failed and refused to cut our losses and remedy mistakes. (We seem to be doing better there)

3. We insist on maximizing W/L records every year which kills draft position. This is one of the main mistakes we continue to make year after year.

Creeper

Reaction score
I think what has happened so far this off-season has a lot of people feeling apathetic. The world is wondering what the Cowboys thought process has been so far. Dumping 2 quality players and messing up the re-signing of Gregory without replacing any of them adequately has a lot of people down on the Cowboys. The best analysis of the Cowboys I have heard so far was that they will not be as good as the 2021 team but they should still win the NFC East. As soon are you realize the team is not getting better this off-season the apathy sets in quickly and deeply. Then we have to listen to Son of Owner say "you don't win Super Bowls during the off-season and any last bits of hope you had were just obliterated.

As for the draft, the reason why I am not as hyped as I was in the past is because the Cowboys have painted themselves into a corner by not doing anything to shore up the OL in free agency. Drafting anything but an OG in the first round is going to be a disappointment. If they could go best player available it makes the draft more interesting. I hate drafting for need but the thought of playing 2022 with a scrub at LG is frightening.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I love the draft and this time of year in general. So do a lot of people.

But I can't remember a more apathetic and lethargic feeling among the Cowboys fan base this close to the draft.

The a creep of sameness and almost boredom surrounding this team right now. We want that new vette, but we know it's the same ole Honda Accord.

I want the center from Iowa, or the guard from A&M, but honestly, I kind of don't care what they do this year because the end results seem predetermined and inevitable. Rack up wins in a weak division and contend for the playoffs, then fall on their faces.

I hate it because, again, I generally love the draft.
Interesting because Ive never seen you active in draft talk previous years

CWR

Reaction score
That SF loss was a gut punch this year, I'm excited for the draft, shrug.

I expect they will have a solid draft and then replicate last years early exit. That is the reason for my apathy. We went about this off-season without a shred of aggression and I'm not sure how this roster improves on the roster that wasn't good enough to get past the wildcard round. Maybe we make some unforseen moves?...