Franchise and draft apathy

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Our ownership priority isn’t winning or they’d step aside .

Can't agree with you on that part of your comment. Jerry's ego is huge, winning is paramount in his mind, and I suspect even Stephen has a lot of that as well.

Jerry, and Stephen to a lesser extent, are so confident in themselves they just can't comprehend their failure, like a compulsive gambler who, despite all his losses, feels that the NEXT hand or roll of the dice or whatever just has to be "the one", they are such a good gambler SURELY it will pay off eventually.

And if Jerry/Stephen step aside and somebody else wins a SB or has great playoff success, it will mean Jerry/Stephen were essentially a failure, knowing (rightly or wrongly, doesn't matter) Jimmy was by far the biggest reason for the 3 SB wins under Jerry's ownership tenure.

And Jerry can't stand failure....

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Can't agree with you on that part of your comment. Jerry's ego is huge, winning is paramount in his mind, and I suspect even Stephen has a lot of that as well.

Jerry, and Stephen to a lesser extent, are so confident in themselves they just can't comprehend their failure, like a compulsive gambler who, despite all his losses, feels that the NEXT hand or roll of the dice or whatever just has to be "the one", they are such a good gambler SURELY it will pay off eventually.

And if Jerry/Stephen step aside and somebody else wins a SB or has great playoff success, it will mean Jerry/Stephen were essentially a failure, knowing (rightly or wrongly, doesn't matter) Jimmy was by far the biggest reason for the 3 SB wins under Jerry's ownership tenure.

And Jerry can't stand failure....
But only wanting to win your way isnt doing everything possible to win.

Yes, we know how bad he wants to win and prove himself but ultimately that’s not what is best for Cowboys Football.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
The draft is very exciting, almost like winning the lottery. CeeDee Lamb, Micah Parsons.... But if things don't change during the season & in the playoffs, does it really matter who Dallas drafts?!

Jarntt

Reaction score
The only reason to get excited is that a good string of drafts might set you up to be good in a couple years. However, that is tempered by the history of this leadership group squandering good opportunities. So, I only see the slightest of chances that we might succeed in spite of ourselves.
I think where we pick in the first round there will be a lot of talent. I'm hoping for one of the Georgia defenders or a OL that can step into the starting lineup. With our cap space if we don't draft an OG I think we will sign one in free agency. We have a decent amount of space now and that goes up 6/1 due to designating Collins a post 6/1 cut. I'm actually totally psyched for this draft

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I think where we pick in the first round there will be a lot of talent. I'm hoping for one of the Georgia defenders or a OL that can step into the starting lineup. With our cap space if we don't draft an OG I think we will sign one in free agency. We have a decent amount of space now and that goes up 6/1 due to designating Collins a post 6/1 cut. I'm actually totally psyched for this draft

I too doubt they feel a huge need to draft an OG (at least not early). OT is more likely cause those aren't so easy to find.

I agree there will be talent. In that range though, it's hard to know exactly where first round talent is depleted. If you think you are getting 2nd round talent, for the love of God please try to trade back. On the other hand, an immense talent may fall in your lap. If it does, take the player even if it isn't a "need". Or make someone pay dearly for the pick.

McKDaddy

Reaction score

Forgot to say "Enjoy the draft!!"

fivetwos

Reaction score
The main reason that nobody is excited about the draft this year is simple....the dye was already cast on our season during Free Agency. If Booger and Chuckles aren't going to get excited about Free Agency, then I'm not going to give two S's about a Draft. Especially when I know that teams that lapped us in Free Agency, will also be drafting more talent.
Well the kid is all excited over the draft because early on you get high performers at bargain rates.....if you don't bust your early picks that is....which they seem to think will never happen again.

Since Marinelli is longer in the room, I do give that a somewhat better shot though....

But counting on it for immediate help, as well as to take 12-5 to the next level is....well, ya know.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I love the draft and this time of year in general. So do a lot of people.

But I can't remember a more apathetic and lethargic feeling among the Cowboys fan base this close to the draft.

The a creep of sameness and almost boredom surrounding this team right now. We want that new vette, but we know it's the same ole Honda Accord.

I want the center from Iowa, or the guard from A&M, but honestly, I kind of don't care what they do this year because the end results seem predetermined and inevitable. Rack up wins in a weak division and contend for the playoffs, then fall on their faces.

I hate it because, again, I generally love the draft.

Good post. I think its just a collective recognition that this team isn't going anywhere and we aren't picking high enough to add anyone thats going to make much difference. Many are still stunned the team settled for losing Amari, Gregory, and La'El while adding nobody of similar quality. The lack of front office activity is stunning. Hard to get excited about the team right now.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I love the draft because college football is my #1 sport and I watched most of these kids play and seeing where they get picked is fun.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I love the draft and this time of year in general. So do a lot of people.

But I can't remember a more apathetic and lethargic feeling among the Cowboys fan base this close to the draft.

The a creep of sameness and almost boredom surrounding this team right now. We want that new vette, but we know it's the same ole Honda Accord.

I want the center from Iowa, or the guard from A&M, but honestly, I kind of don't care what they do this year because the end results seem predetermined and inevitable. Rack up wins in a weak division and contend for the playoffs, then fall on their faces.

I hate it because, again, I generally love the draft.

How people feel heading into a season is so irrelevant. What was the consensus by the crowd here heading into last year? Were they thinking we would have won as many games as we did last year?

How about 2014? That team was as good as any and it was doom and gloom everyday leading up to and after the week 1 butt whooping.

2016..... more doom and gloom with Romo going down, and the season was pretty good.

How many drafts has a player been drafted and people say what a waste the pick was, and the player was a stud or the exact opposite.

Im gonna enjoy the draft and Ill enjoy the season same as I always do. As a long time coach, my team lost a heartbreaking championship game many years ago.

I made sure I let the team know that the game cant only be fun when you win. Someo fthe greatest games I was ever involved in were loses. That is what makes the wins so sweet.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I love the draft because college football is my #1 sport and I watched most of these kids play and seeing where they get picked is fun.
I like the draft, but because I do not watch college... I only know a few players. So its fun to see who we get and hear the "Experts," give their opinion.... but that is about it.

I was in Nashville these past 4 days and holy cow I cant imagine what it was like being there on draft day.

id like to attend a draft some day.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If you truly think you're the greatest football mind out there your view is that staying in charge is the best way to win.

Jerry's ego blinds him to seeing it any other way....
I don’t necessarily think he believes he’s the greatest mind. Remember he’s admitted years ago that he would have fired a GM with his record.

No, this is about him being the face of his franchise and wanting to be a celebrity football guy.

It’s why winning championships with Jimmy wasn’t enough.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I don’t necessarily think he believes he’s the greatest mind. Remember he’s admitted years ago that he would have fired a GM with his record.

No, this is about him being the face of his franchise and wanting to be a celebrity football guy.

I was a supervisor at UPS many years ago. I had a young guy tell me I was on a power trip. I calmly said no... people on a power trip want power. Im the supervisor of this shift, I already have all the "Power."

Jerry has been a "Celebrity football guy," for well over 30 years now. He doesnt want to be, he is.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Jimmy winning was too much because so much of the credit went to him and the local media still has a JimFest when he comes to town.

Jimmy replaced a legend and Booger caught all the heat for making that happen.

Booger is trying to keep his club financially in line with player salaries and has to acquiesce to Emmitt and who gets the credit? Jimmy while Booger was getting death threats taken seriously.

Do not underestimate this contest going all the way back to college when they were roommates and Booger was on the OL and D was all the rage and the reason the team won the championship, the offense was barely an after thought, all the stars and studs were on the D. Think Jimmy's swagger didn't start in Fayetteville?

Booger buys the team and hires Jimmy and he barely gets credit for anything and all the blame about the break up and years since. That part is not fair. I guess Jimmy never heard one of the jobs a manager has is to make his boss look good too. I do not see Booger ever getting over that.

One thing Jimmy should have noticed when he came into the NFL, few owners were even considering college coaches and they sure as hell weren't turning the football operation over to them. He got spoiled in Dallas and when he went to Miami thought he'd swing weight and replace the franchise, not a chance.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Jimmy winning was too much because so much of the credit went to him and the local media still has a JimFest when he comes to town.

Jimmy replaced a legend and Booger caught all the heat for making that happen.

Booger is trying to keep his club financially in line with player salaries and has to acquiesce to Emmitt and who gets the credit? Jimmy while Booger was getting death threats taken seriously.

Do not underestimate this contest going all the way back to college when they were roommates and Booger was on the OL and D was all the rage and the reason the team won the championship, the offense was barely an after thought, all the stars and studs were on the D. Think Jimmy's swagger didn't start in Fayetteville?

Booger buys the team and hires Jimmy and he barely gets credit for anything and all the blame about the break up and years since. That part is not fair. I guess Jimmy never heard one of the jobs a manager has is to make his boss look good too. I do not see Booger ever getting over that.

One thing Jimmy should have noticed when he came into the NFL, few owners were even considering college coaches and they sure as hell weren't turning the football operation over to them. He got spoiled in Dallas and when he went to Miami thought he'd swing weight and replace the franchise, not a chance.

Here is what I don’t get about Jerry after Jimmy though…..it worked with Jimmy. They won. Jerry looked good like he hired the right guy. Besides Parcells he’s never gone this route again. That floors me. As a businessman and an ego driven guy what is the harm in hiring a real GM and coach and putting your team closer to a SB if it makes you look good? It’s the one question I’ve never been able to answer. People were singing Jerry’s praises with SBs. Rinse/Repeat…don’t hire a Garrett to show what you can do or to do it your way….hire smart folks and get out of the way and when the team is in the SB again, you’re getting that credit

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Here is what I don’t get about Jerry after Jimmy though…..it worked with Jimmy. They won. Jerry looked good like he hired the right guy. Besides Parcells he’s never gone this route again. That floors me. As a businessman and an ego driven guy what is the harm in hiring a real GM and coach and putting your team closer to a SB if it makes you look good? It’s the one question I’ve never been able to answer. People were singing Jerry’s praises with SBs. Rinse/Repeat…don’t hire a Garrett to show what you can do or to do it your way….hire smart folks and get out of the way and when the team is in the SB again, you’re getting that credit
It all goes back to his ambitions and passions to ge a football guy. This is why he wanted to buy a team. Being an owner and getting credit for hiring the right people like Jimmy isn’t enough.

He wants the celebrity status and credit Head Coaches receive along with being the face of the franchise without being held directly accountable to someone who could fire him.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I was a supervisor at UPS many years ago. I had a young guy tell me I was on a power trip. I calmly said no... people on a power trip want power. Im the supervisor of this shift, I already have all the "Power."

Jerry has been a "Celebrity football guy," for well over 30 years now. He doesnt want to be, he is.
Of course . And that’s what he wanted. Not just being an owner . I didn’t mean to come off like he wasn’t a celebrity football guy. The fact he’s isn’t as good of one as he had hoped is another discussion. But it doesn’t matter to him anymore . Sure, he’d like to have more success on the field but the revenue juggernaut allows him to continue his ways .

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can you imagine what percolated in Booger's mind when he's being hated for firing Landry and making Emmitt hold out and Jimmy has turned into an overnight sensation with the media and public and that "put it in 3" tall letters" stunt made him legendary?

"What about me?" kept playing over and over in his head.