Franchise and draft apathy

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
As long as winning the NFC East is your Superbowl. Lol

At least ya can win some good money come playoff time if ya don't drink the koolaide.

Especially if we're playing at home lmao

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
That's true, and we all have our thoughts on it.

Are you confident the TEAM understands why and are capable of fixing it?

Do they even recognize a problem or do they think they just simply fell short?

I would have to hope so but I can't be fully confident.

I dont at all get the impression that they feel like they need to feature a run game much more so than Prescotts arm, but I'd also hope they wouldn't have told the world....but they usually telegraph their intentions, partially as some sort of excuse/reason as to why next year will be better.

There are wrong thoughts and then actually the ones that are accurate and correct.

Oline was the #1 problem with the blocking and the penalties.

Cowboys need to decide what kind of offense they want to be. Its almost impossible nowadays to have a great pass offense AND a great run offense. You almost have to decide which one you want. When you pay a QB 40 million per year, then the choice should be obvious.

Now its great to have balance and you need to run the ball too, but with Dak, the Cowboys need to commit to a pass heavy offense. combine that with a big play, explosive back that can make you pay for playing a two deep zone. Pollard is great at that. We don't need a plodding running game.

Now if you want a run first offense, then get blocking TE's and you need a stable of quality back. Not all your money invested in one back.

Cowboys, again, fail to have a coherent plan.

fivetwos

Reaction score
There are wrong thoughts and then actually the ones that are accurate and correct.

Oline was the #1 problem with the blocking and the penalties.

Cowboys need to decide what kind of offense they want to be. Its almost impossible nowadays to have a great pass offense AND a great run offense. You almost have to decide which one you want. When you pay a QB 40 million per year, then the choice should be obvious.

Now its great to have balance and you need to run the ball too, but with Dak, the Cowboys need to commit to a pass heavy offense. combine that with a big play, explosive back that can make you pay for playing a two deep zone. Pollard is great at that. We don't need a plodding running game.

Now if you want a run first offense, then get blocking TE's and you need a stable of quality back. Not all your money invested in one back.

Cowboys, again, fail to have a coherent plan.
Fully agreed, I would just tend to rather have the run game, as the QB has shown he can have success that way, but not so much as a featured passer.

My hope is that either I'm wrong, or the light goes on in this regard over next offseason....because I agree in the sense that they don't want a 40m QB handing the ball off.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Fully agreed, I would just tend to rather have the run game, as the QB has shown he can have success that way, but not so much as a featured passer.

My hope is that either I'm wrong, or the light goes on in this regard over next offseason....because I agree in the sense that they don't want a 40m QB handing the ball off.

On the contrary Dak has showed he has had plenty of success without a a great run game. Lets not confuse scoring lots of points and a great offense with team success. All Dak can do is score points and run the offense. The Cowboys offense was #1 in NFL history the first 4 or 5 games of last year when Zeke was plodding along before Dak got hurt. Dak doesnt needs a great run game he just the line to do their job.

ESisback

Reaction score
I didn't post once the entire season last year. I'm a season-ticket holder, and I went to one game. Actually didn't watch a couple of games on TV because there were just other things I'd rather do.

That hadn't happened before.

And now I have zero anticipation for next season. Waiting for that to change, but not holding my breath.
Just find another hobby. Simple!

shabazz

Reaction score
I love the draft and this time of year in general. So do a lot of people.

But I can't remember a more apathetic and lethargic feeling among the Cowboys fan base this close to the draft.

The a creep of sameness and almost boredom surrounding this team right now. We want that new vette, but we know it's the same ole Honda Accord.

I want the center from Iowa, or the guard from A&M, but honestly, I kind of don't care what they do this year because the end results seem predetermined and inevitable. Rack up wins in a weak division and contend for the playoffs, then fall on their faces.

I hate it because, again, I generally love the draft.

The one good thing is that they aren’t wasting the career of a generational talent quarterback. Hated to see Zack Martin and Tyron Smiths careers wasted but that’s the breaks.

fivetwos

Reaction score
On the contrary Dak has showed he has had plenty of success without a a great run game. Lets not confuse scoring lots of points and a great offense with team success. All Dak can do is score points and run the offense. The Cowboys offense was #1 in NFL history the first 4 or 5 games of last year when Zeke was plodding along before Dak got hurt. Dak doesnt needs a great run game he just the line to do their job.
Yep but I think thats where I start to get careful.

I DO think we can win with him, but I would want a strong run game no matter who my QB is, so I'm probably the wrong guy.

I just don't want to rely on him dropping back and finding WR downfield as our top weapon.

I think a run game opens up certain things for him and he can be effective that way.

Either way we agree there can't be a thoroughly ineffective run game.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yep but I think thats where I start to get careful.

I DO think we can win with him, but I would want a strong run game no matter who my QB is, so I'm probably the wrong guy.

I just don't want to rely on him dropping back and finding WR downfield as our top weapo.

I think a run game opens up certain things for him and he can be effective that way.

Either way we agree there can't be a thoroughly ineffective run game.

Sure, give me a great run game too. Any QB would love one. And it certainly makes the job easier. But if I have to pick two things............give me Dak and the passing game and the defense. No sense in spending 40 million on a QB if he needs a great run game.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Sure, give me a great run game too. Any QB would love one. And it certainly makes the job easier. But if I have to pick two things............give me Dak and the passing game and the defense. No sense in spending 40 million on a QB if he needs a great run game.
Yep, and we can loop around all that endlessly and would only be repeating ourselves.

csirl

Reaction score
I cant remember any year where there has been so little hype over the draft - its become a non-event this offseason.

ghst187

Reaction score

But I can't remember a more apathetic and lethargic feeling among the Cowboys fan base this close to the draft.

The a creep of sameness and almost boredom surrounding this team right now. We want that new vette, but we know it's the same ole Honda Accord.

I want the center from Iowa, or the guard from A&M, but honestly, I kind of don't care what they do this year because the end results seem predetermined and inevitable. Rack up wins in a weak division and contend for the playoffs, then fall on their faces.

I think you captured the feelings of most on this board perfectly

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Actually those first 4 or 5 games last year when we had the #1 offense Elliott had his best production of the season with his only 2 games over 100 yards and an other 95 yard game.

The Cowboys record when Elliott rushes for 100 yards or more is 26-4. And about .500 when he doesn’t.

https://www.footballdb.com/players/ezekiel-elliott-ellioez01/100-yard-rushing-games

visionary

Reaction score
GM, head coach, & starting QB.

3 pillars of successful winning championship organization that if head by quality individuals the trajectory of that organizational culture will only be positive, & upward.

In Dallas, the GM is a dysfunctional/fraud/broken absence of accountability position that has failed for over 28 years, combined with a puppet head coach who has no command in the locker room, and lacks the authority with both roster moves, and his own coaching staff, and finally a QB who is overpaid, & lacks talent.

The draft ain't gonna fix those problems.

Been saying this for a while

GM, HC and QB are the pillars that set the tone and culture
We have slop at those positions
Any changes are window dressing

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Actually those first 4 or 5 games last year when we had the #1 offense Elliott had his best production of the season with his only 2 games over 100 yards and an other 95 yard game.

The Cowboys record when Elliott rushes for 100 yards or more is 26-4. And about .500 when he doesn’t.

https://www.footballdb.com/players/ezekiel-elliott-ellioez01/100-yard-rushing-games
I was referring to 2020.

problem for us with zeke is he doesn’t rush for 100 very often anymore. I also think you could plug in pollard into that formula and the wins would pop up too.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
12 and 5 isn't a loser. I would be happy if they go 12 and 5 again this year.
Season record is often misleading, whether is is 9-8 or 12-5.
Some teams with 11+ wins, just are not that good, and yeah not a loser in that sense, but still a loser in post season.

kumizi

Reaction score
Not doing a draft party for the first time in a long time.

Part of it is the pick is relatively low at 24 and part of it is the team isn’t a draft pick away from contending.

Whyjerry

Reaction score

I am rocking PFF mock draft simulators. Addicted to that crap for some reason. The draft is great. Jerry and Stephan will screw it up again. I have no doubt. Those 2 are idiots.

rambo2

Reaction score
Season record is often misleading, whether is is 9-8 or 12-5.
Some teams with 11+ wins, just are not that good, and yeah not a loser in that sense, but still a loser in post season.

You are what your record says you are. The Rams lost twice to the 49ers. In one game they lost by 21. The Cowboys lost by only 6 points to the 49ers. The Cowboys were favored and lost. They could have easily won that game. The bottom line is 12 and 5 is good. To say the Cowboys were not a good team is a falsehood.

Pokes12

Reaction score

The reason we are so uninterested and lethargic is that we know that no matter what the draft, no matter what the free agency period, the results will always be the same. We used to predict 8-8. Now we have to account for another game and the fact that the NFC East is so meager that the Cowboys win it every two years and then fall on their faces. Was there anything more pitiful than watching our Boys coming out of the tunnel in the SF game. It appeared as if we had 53 Craig Mortons. But in the end, it does not matter. No matter who wins or who loses, the NFL owners and the players make big money.