Frank Pollack Out as Cowboys O-line Coach

Doomsay

Reaction score
I hate to say it but I don't like the odds of Garrett, Marinelli, and Linehan putting together a staff that will make a difference. The coaching staff to take us to the next level should already be here. The rebuilding should be over by now. I get there will always be some turnover on a staff and I've defended this staff for awhile but I have zero faith in their ability.
These moves are analogous to rearranging the deck chairs in steerage.

Carson

Reaction score
Regardless of coach here ...

If you have
3 all pro lineman
1 former first round pick
1 would’ve been first round pick, had he not been falsely accused.

No excuse to fail.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is no ploy, you are just unable or incapable of understanding my comments. Your argument is circular to support your stance. You are saying that a change of coaching assistants is proof against excuses for Garrett next season since he "hand picked" them. One, when has Garrett actually hand picked anything, coaches or players? And two, this goes against real life - when change is not successful due to timeliness, system unfamiliarity, injury, etc. the change itself is used to support reason to wait until these issues are resolved. Jerry/Stephen have used these arguments repeatedly during Garrett's entire tenure as rationale to retain him.

Expecting improvement to occur automatically or immediately is unrealistic. The change could produce worse results. Jerry/Stephen have always used these adverse scenarios to support keeping Garrett. 2 playoff appearances in 7 seasons is abysmal, yet Garrett is singularly protected and only his coaching assistants are ever changed/blamed. Who is the constant again?

Again, that you do not see or accept any of this history must mean you are new to the Cowboys. If you are not new, then let's just agree to disagree - you can place me on ignore or I can place you on ignore, that works too.

First. when you say things like "you must be new to the Cowboys" and "if you don't know I don't need to talk to you", that is a ploy - an effort to dismiss the other party without saying anything of substance. At least you made the effort this post.

I do get your point about Jerry making excuses, but when have you ever heard Jerry or any GM say the head coach doesn't have to take blame for failure because the WR coach or O-Line coach didn't know the system?

Frankly I think you are trying to hard too find a complaint, and it's causing you to overthink. First you said the excuse will be that the new coaches need time to implement a new system, which they aren't doing because the guys that implement the system (head coach and coordinators) aren't changing. I pointed that out it and now the you say the excuse will be the new coaches don't know the system. The reality is what the Cowboys do is not wildly different from what other teams do, and in fact many complain the schemes and play calls are too vanilla. We aren't changing from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense like we did when Parcells came, nor are from a pass oriented offense to a run based offense like a few years ago (which is why hiring a pass first O-Coordinator like Linehan was stupid). There aren't a million plays with a million different blocking schemes, or a million pass routes with a million different ways to run them. A new O-Line coach and WR coach aren't creating the wheel, or learning to use a completely different wheel than they have ever seen before.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I did, and your comment still make's no sense. The fact that there is no guarantee of success with new coaches doesn't give Garrett an excuse for not having success with new coaches. In fact, it actually removes excuses because he is the guy picking the coaches. Having hand picked coaches doesn't create excuses, it eliminates them.
In most business yes, but in Jerry' world logic does not always,apply.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
First. when you say things like "you must be new to the Cowboys" and "if you don't know I don't need to talk to you", that is a ploy - an effort to dismiss the other party without saying anything of substance. At least you made the effort this post.

I do get your point about Jerry making excuses, but when have you ever heard Jerry or any GM say the head coach doesn't have to take blame for failure because the WR coach or O-Line coach didn't know the system?

Frankly I think you are trying to hard too find a complaint, and it's causing you to overthink. First you said the excuse will be that the new coaches need time to implement a new system, which they aren't doing because the guys that implement the system (head coach and coordinators) aren't changing. I pointed that out it and now the you say the excuse will be the new coaches don't know the system. The reality is what the Cowboys do is not wildly different from what other teams do, and in fact many complain the schemes and play calls are too vanilla. We aren't changing from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense like we did when Parcells came, nor are from a pass oriented offense to a run based offense like a few years ago (which is why hiring a pass first O-Coordinator like Linehan was stupid). There aren't a million plays with a million different blocking schemes, or a million pass routes with a million different ways to run them. A new O-Line coach and WR coach aren't creating the wheel, or learning to use a completely different wheel than they have ever seen before.

For the love of Pete man!!!! You must be part pitbull, you are not going to let go of this bone will you? You agree that Jerry and Stephen have enabled and excused Garrett in the past (this was the whole point of my initial comment) but you are still droning on and on and on about much to do about nothing.

If you have ever developed a management team, whether in sports or in business, there is always a transition even if they are completely familiar and have proficient experience in the industry. We are talking about people, not robots, not numbers. People. An experienced WR coach does not automatically equal knowledge of the Air Coryell system. Do you understand that? And our OL coach needs to be proficient in both power and zone blocking because Cowboys employ a hybrid scheme. And there are several ways to coach power and/or zone. Alex Gibbs version of zone was not the same as used by 9ers under Bill Walsh. Houck's power blocking scheme not the same as Tony Wise. All OL use some zone and some power, but not necessarily in the same ways. THERE WILL BE A TRANSITION NO MATTER WHO IS BROUGHT IN and therein lies the built in excuses for Garrett. Just like if injuries happen. Or bad ref calls. Poor game management. Poor development of back ups. Poor play calling. Etc.

This is the Cowboy way under Jerry and Stephen.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For the love of Pete man!!!! You must be part pitbull, you are not going to let go of this bone will you? You agree that Jerry and Stephen have enabled and excused Garrett in the past (this was the whole point of my initial comment) but you are still droning on and on and on about much to do about nothing.

If you have ever developed a management team, whether in sports or in business, there is always a transition even if they are completely familiar and have proficient experience in the industry. We are talking about people, not robots, not numbers. People. An experienced WR coach does not automatically equal knowledge of the Air Coryell system. Do you understand that? And our OL coach needs to be proficient in both power and zone blocking because Cowboys employ a hybrid scheme. And there are several ways to coach power and/or zone. Alex Gibbs version of zone was not the same as used by 9ers under Bill Walsh. Houck's power blocking scheme not the same as Tony Wise. All OL use some zone and some power, but not necessarily in the same ways. THERE WILL BE A TRANSITION NO MATTER WHO IS BROUGHT IN and therein lies the built in excuses for Garrett. Just like if injuries happen. Or bad ref calls. Poor game management. Poor development of back ups. Poor play calling. Etc.

This is the Cowboy way under Jerry and Stephen.

The offseason is plenty of transition period for a WR coach or other position coach. They learn the playbook and know the routes and they hit the ground running at OTAs and TC. As for Jerry and Stephen, while it's true they have given Garrett leeway, this is not their history - Gailey, Campo, Parcells and Wade didn't get that kind of leeway. And even with Garrett, there isn't an endless supply of it. There will be a breaking point. But realistically, when have you ever heard them say Garrett failed because the team had the wrong WR coach? That's a bit of a stretch.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Regardless of coach here ...

If you have
3 all pro lineman
1 former first round pick
1 would’ve been first round pick, had he not been falsely accused.

No excuse to fail.
one excuse are the injury's and transition from the start of the year and finally getting going and boom Tsmith goes down, zeke gets suspended same game and than next game no smith no martin most of the Chargers game and no zeke..also no baily etc..so failure was mostly do to early season with Collins in new positions, Green failing at LG , than Cooper finally getting the job, some transition there...the season just never got on track and moving in one direction and it started with this line ..

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
The offseason is plenty of transition period for a WR coach or other position coach. They learn the playbook and know the routes and they hit the ground running at OTAs and TC. As for Jerry and Stephen, while it's true they have given Garrett leeway, this is not their history - Gailey, Campo, Parcells and Wade didn't get that kind of leeway. And even with Garrett, there isn't an endless supply of it. There will be a breaking point. But realistically, when have you ever heard them say Garrett failed because the team had the wrong WR coach? That's a bit of a stretch.

I am glad you are so certain about how long a transition will take and how successful it will be. We are not discussing ONE assistant changing, almost the entire Offensive staff will be new - WR Coach, QB Coach, RB Coach and OL Coach. Thank god you are the authority here otherwise I would still be concerned.

Please tell me how many yards Elliott will rush for or what our W-L record will be as well, that will save me the trouble of watching the games. Thanks for being on the job and having all the answers.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am glad you are so certain about how long a transition will take and how successful it will be. We are not discussing ONE assistant changing, almost the entire Offensive staff will be new - WR Coach, QB Coach, RB Coach and OL Coach. Thank god you are the authority here otherwise I would still be concerned.

Please tell me how many yards Elliott will rush for or what our W-L record will be as well, that will save me the trouble of watching the games. Thanks for being on the job and having all the answers.

And I'm glad you are so certain a transition will take a full year, as if position coaches are going to be struggling to grasp pass routes and blocking assignments like they are starting from scratch. Now we are all happy.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
And I'm glad you are so certain a transition will take a full year, as if position coaches are going to be struggling to grasp pass routes and blocking assignments like they are starting from scratch. Now we are all happy.

You are like that college graduate with a business degree and a year or three of internships and insists they know everything while interviewing with a manager or owner who's had 20+ years in the industry running multi-million dollar projects.

It's cute in the beginning but the arrogance and ignorance get old really quickly. Yes, transitions can take a year for many reasons including bad hires, lack of supporting infrastructure, unforeseen condition changes, poor ideation/execution, uncorrected errors, logistical issues, force majeure, etc.

Not everything, especially human beings, are plug and play.

blueblood70

Reaction score
there might be some transition with new coaches but they aren't the play callers at key positions and i doubt it carrys over into the season..