Frank Pollack Out as Cowboys O-line Coach

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Colombo is massively inexperienced and unless he is some sort of savant, I don't think he is prepared to handle the responsibility yet.

Even Pollack spent two years as an apprentice learning from Callahan before taking over. Prior to that he learned from the best in Alex Gibbs, spending five years as an assistant OL coach in Houston. He was given the Raiders OL job and was fired after a year. Before he came to the NFL, he was responsible for an OL at the college level.

Colombo is not even close to being as experienced as the coach they are getting rid of.

I get the inexperience concern. My intention was not to say Colombo is the perfect candidate. But while it's true Colombo isn't as experienced as the coach they are getting rid of, the coach they are getting rid of was not remotely as experienced as Colombo at actually playing the position being coached. I would view this differently if we were talking about a head coach, or even a coordinator who have a much wider range of responsibility than an offensive line coach, who largely teaches the blocking that is called for with the offensive scheme and particular plays the O-Coordinator wants to run. I believe a guy who has actually done it has a very good chance of being able to do that, and especially a guy that has the kind of character and respect Colombo is said to have.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm less understanding. A position coach should know if a player will be a train wreck if he has to start a game.

Suppose that player has performed well in practice, and on multiple occasions has played well in games before the one game that went bad? It would be like a QB who has played consistently well (not necessarily great) and made good decisions both in practice and games, and then in 1 game and throws 4 INTs. Nothing in the history of the player suggested that kind of melt down, but it happened. Coaches can't foresee everything.

A couple of other points. 1. Colombo was the assistant - Pollack had the responsibility. 2. A coach can only work with the players the team gives them, and if they didn't feel good about Bell, what other choice was there?

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
which college programs turn out consistently great OL?
Iowa? Wisconsin? Ohio St?
Why not reach out to Ed Warinner at OSU or TJ Woods who is now at Oregon St I believe but was at Wisconsin?

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
for those worried about austin and columbo as coaches I dont think thats realistic.

I think leon lett has a real chance to be the defensive line coach.

I get the sense the other guys are just starting out still, columbo is about 4 years I think into this but I do not think they will hand over the most important group on the team to him. Unless he is really ready for the job.

There is no chance on Austin being the wr coach however. He has a lot of time to put in before he gets a job like that.

Plankton

Reaction score
Why not reach out to Ed Warinner at OSU or TJ Woods who is now at Oregon St I believe but was at Wisconsin?

Warriner is at the University of Minnesota now.

I'd definitely advocate for Joe Rudolph from Wisconsin.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Of course schools like Ohio State consistently have one of the top recruiting classes every year. Programs like that get their pick from the cream of the crop. Accordingly it's a little difficult to tell how much of the O-Line success is due to coaching and how much is due to having dramatically better players.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Where is Garrett's loyalty for his coaches?

This isn't just a Garrett thing, Every head coach makes changes in their staff at times, and that's especially true after a disappointing season.

khiladi

Reaction score
So the guy that built the line left because Garrett ‘beefed’ with him (Garrett obviously jealous of his growing influence on the team) and Garrerr thought that same OL wouldn’t lose a step, but he clearly couldn’t so he’s out too..

So why is Garrett still here again?

The funniest thing is Garrett-homers try and credit the OL being built to him..

Reactions: BAT

khiladi

Reaction score
The drop off between him and Callahan was enormous. He was given the keys to a Ferrari and it wound up in a ditch. In 2016, the line was great in spite of him.

Blame the guy that forced Callahan, the guy that built the Ferrari out..

Just like Wade before him.. another scapegoat..

khiladi

Reaction score
Remember, Garrett and Jerry brought back Houck.. it was luck that Callahan was available in 2012 and he implemented a totally different scheme than Dallas was running under clown Garrett and him and Jerry were picking players for.

Our first OL pick under Callahan (we took Smith because that was obviously going to happen since we lost Flozell at our LT and the importance of that position in this organization was well known) was Leary as either a 6th round pick or undrafted FA, who ended up being huge for us.

And we then went Frederik, because of Callahan and Romo while Garrett and his groupie Stephen were still thinking we were going to pick Floyd.

Collins than picked us, not the other way around.

So if anything, the FO and this HC haven’t shown any ability to build and coach an OL unless the stars align and a great coach ‘tragically’ ends up working here for a brief stint.

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
Tom Manning, currently OL coach at Iowa State, and formerly OL coach at the University of Toledo has done an amazing job at those two locales build O lines. Just a a name to throw out there.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
So the guy that built the line left because Garrett ‘beefed’ with him (Garrett obviously jealous of his growing influence on the team) and Garrerr thought that same OL wouldn’t lose a step, but he clearly couldn’t so he’s out too..

So why is Garrett still here again?

The funniest thing is Garrett-homers try and credit the OL being built to him..

The guy that built the line moves around a lot.

He left because his contact expired and he was pissed that the team blocked him from interviewing for OC jobs in the previous off season.

But yeah, just default to putting it on Garrett

khiladi

Reaction score
The guy that built the line moves around a lot.

He left because his contact expired and he was pissed that the team blocked him from interviewing for OC jobs in the previous off season.

But yeah, just default to putting it on Garrett

And he was ‘pissed’ because because of Garrett. He was made OC in Dallas and after Garrett’s interference with his influence on the offense, Dallas would not let him interview for OC position on a technicality, because of his title. It was a ‘lateral’ move when in actuality it wasn’t.

Of course it was Garrett...

Reactions: BAT

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett doesn't have loyalty to anyone.

Just Jerry.

So, your belief is head coaches should never change assistant coaches? Do you think Garrett is the only head coach that does this, and if you don't think that do you believe every other head coach that changes assistants is being disloyal?

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Of course schools like Ohio State consistently have one of the top recruiting classes every year. Programs like that get their pick from the cream of the crop. Accordingly it's a little difficult to tell how much of the O-Line success is due to coaching and how much is due to having dramatically better players.
I agree but if they consistently churn out goid OL it's we worth the look imo...

AbeBeta

Reaction score
And he was ‘pissed’ because because of Garrett. He was made OC in Dallas and after Garrett’s interference with his influence on the offense, Dallas would not let him interview for OC position on a technicality, because of his title. It was a ‘lateral’ move when in actuality it wasn’t.

Of course it was Garrett...

Garrett is the one hiring coaches and negotiating titles? Right.

Oh yeah. How'd it go after Callahan was no longer calling plays? (Hint: 12-4). But, yeah. Terrible decision

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I'm starting to wonder how this exodus will affect the communication and continuity of the coaching staff. I've always looked at the staff as I'v looked at the offensive line, chemistry and a clear direction is needed for the unit to succeed.

Another built in excuse for Garrett next season. Perfect.

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
What makes you guys think that Colombo do the job? He had a nasty mean streak in him and he may be able to impart some of that on those big uglys...