Frank Pollack Out as Cowboys O-line Coach

Sydla

Reaction score
I’m really hoping we bring in Mike Tice, he has ties to Linehan from his Minnesota days & is a fantastic Oline coach, additionally Todd Downing was Scotts QB coach in Detroit & is also available as both Tice & Downing were part of Del Rio’s staff in Oakland.

Downing would be a nice hire as QB coach.

John813

Reaction score
The 2016 line clicked after Leary went in for Collins, coincidence or not.
Only "weak" link was Free, but that wasn't due to coaching but a decline in play probably due to age having issues with speed rushers.
Pollack had to deal with moving Collins to Right Tackle, Cooper at LG and Smith dealing with injuries that actually had to make him sit last year.
While I don't care that he's out, I'm not sure he was the reason why the line had setbacks. Some were out of his control(GM moves) and injuries.

Plankton

Reaction score
This is somewhat reminding me of Notre Dame this past year, where there was a huge purge of the coaching staff and keeping Brian Kelly in place. Only difference is that ND got three new coordinators (Chip Long - OC, Mike Elko - DC, Brian Polian - ST), in addition to new WR, TE and LB coaches. Keep an eye on this - wholesale coaching changes like this doesn't always result in positive changes immediately. ND went 10-3, and it wasn't expected.

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
I hate to say it but I don't like the odds of Garrett, Marinelli, and Linehan putting together a staff that will make a difference. The coaching staff to take us to the next level should already be here. The rebuilding should be over by now. I get there will always be some turnover on a staff and I've defended this staff for awhile but I have zero faith in their ability.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
You can kill all the fire ants you want but if you don’t kill the queen it’s a waste of time. We had a good O-Line guy but they ran him off forcing JGs garbage playbook on him when he was the OC then bring in a worthless hack like Scott to be the passing game coordinator.

Sydla

Reaction score
This is somewhat reminding me of Notre Dame this past year, where there was a huge purge of the coaching staff and keeping Brian Kelly in place. Only difference is that ND got three new coordinators (Chip Long - OC, Mike Elko - DC, Brian Polian - ST), in addition to new WR, TE and LB coaches. Keep an eye on this - wholesale coaching changes like this doesn't always result in positive changes immediately. ND went 10-3, and it wasn't expected.

But not much changed in reality. ND still spit the bit in most of their big games and limped down the stretch with a playoff spot on the line.

If the head coach is flawed, in the end shuffling assistants rarely works out.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m really hoping we bring in Mike Tice, he has ties to Linehan from his Minnesota days & is a fantastic Oline coach, additionally Todd Downing was Scotts QB coach in Detroit & is also available as both Tice & Downing were part of Del Rio’s staff in Oakland.

Tice was the first name I thought of. What’s Downing’s reputation? Sounds like it’s pretty good.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Always thought Stepnoski would have made a great OL coach, considering how he over performed his entire career at only 260lbs.
That was light even back in his day.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

:clap::clap::clap:Don't believe Tice was a good OL coach? Google it...

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I’d be with you if the coordinators were flipping over, too. But our staff has been in the league forever, and our offensive position coaching positions are desireable jobs, since we have both talent and a national spotlight. We’ll attract some good coaches.

The question will be how the whole staff fits together with this many moving parts.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Another thing I like about bring Tice in is his experience as head coach and offensive coor also. Remember how all been saying we need fresh plays and ideas.......well here's your man

Plankton

Reaction score
I’d be with you if the coordinators were flipping over, too. But our staff has been in the league forever, and our offensive position coaching positions are desireable jobs, since we have both talent and a national spotlight. We’ll attract some good coaches.

The question will be how the whole staff fits together with this many moving parts.

I think it's too much change to get people on the same page philosophically when the team thinks that they are close to being a real threat for a SB berth. If you're changing that many coaches, you may as well sweep them all out and start anew.