Twitter: Frederick restructured; 7.5 million cap space cleared up

yentl911

Reaction score
I would have thought the contracts would have been restructured BEFORE the start of FA.

Seems like they are never on top of their game IMO

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I would have thought the contracts would have been restructured BEFORE the start of FA.

Seems like they are never on top of their game IMO

Maybe they found someone they really want and are looking at ways to free up the right amount of cash?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
You should have some basic understanding that today was not the 1st day they could have announced this. Several other teams have already restructured players and also used said restructure $ to sign free agents.

They could not make the move until Wed.

Why on Earth would they announce it earlier? What's the point?

Any team could come to an agreement with a player Monday or Tuesday, regardless of cap space. Nothing could officially happen until Wed.

I swear, some of you just can't see the obvious.

Aven8

Reaction score
Cut Witten for 7 million off cap and zero dead money. This is a no brainer for a team looking to develop younger players.

And lose our leader that's showing all these young guys what it takes to be a winner?? :rolleyes:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I know it will be lost in all the Eeyore posts, but thanks Travis.
This is not something Frederick had to necessarily cooperate with or agree to in order to get done.

The team decides when to trigger the method of executing the terms of the contract.

If there is any input required from him, it is the "oh, sure" in response to the question "Hey Travis, you want a bunch of money now as a bonus"?

That is why a lot of these players are used as banks.

So, thanks. I guess.

erod

Reaction score
In before someone says free agency just started yesterday at 4PM.

What he was proposing couldn't happen until June 1st for available cap money. What good is $22.5 million of cap space in June?

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
What he was proposing couldn't happen until June 1st for available cap money. What good is $22.5 million of cap space in June?

We can only designate 2 players as a June 1 cut. Witten doesn't need to be designated June 1 because he doesn't have any pro-rated bonuses that need to be kept into 2019. He can be cut outright.

Designating Scandrick and Dez as June 1 cuts will free up $15.5 million. If we did make them June 1 cuts we'd be waiting to keep $5.6 million dead money in 2019. So, the question is do you want $9.9 million in cap space now or $15.5 million in June (if we're going to cut Scandrick and Dez).

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This is not something Frederick had to necessarily cooperate with or agree to in order to get done.

The team decides when to trigger the method of executing the terms of the contract.

If there is any input required from him, it is the "oh, sure" in response to the question "Hey Travis, you want a bunch of money now as a bonus"?

That is why a lot of these players are used as banks.

So, thanks. I guess.

Well, I've seen many times over the years where a player has chosen not to restructure. I realize what you're saying, but I'm thinking Frederick is doing so to help the team. Thanks for the explanation though.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
We can only designate 2 players as a June 1 cut. Witten doesn't need to be designated June 1 because he doesn't have any pro-rated bonuses that need to be kept into 2019. He can be cut outright.

Designating Scandrick and Dez as June 1 cuts will free up $15.5 million. If we did make them June 1 cuts we'd be waiting to keep $5.6 million dead money in 2019. So, the question is do you want $9.9 million in cap space now or $15.5 million in June (if we're going to cut Scandrick and Dez).
I would rather trade OScan and extend Dez to create the same amount of space and get something for it

OScan for 2/7m with 0m gtd can be valuable to someone..........saving 1.4m
Dez can extend for 3/25m all gtd and lower his cap hit to 8m......saving 8.5m

Dez is a paycut disguised as an extension...basically adding 2 low priced team options for 2021-22 in exchange for guaranteeing the first 25m