Twitter: Frederick restructured; 7.5 million cap space cleared up

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Well, I've seen many times over the years where a player has chosen not to restructure. I realize what you're saying, but I'm thinking Frederick is doing so to help the team. Thanks for the explanation though.
Players have refused paycuts, not restructures

A restructure gives him all his pay for the year upfront....... guaranteeing it .....no one turns that down ever

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
they are keeping dez jerry has already decided that don't need to worry about the cap now and getttingmore money most of the players that were worth any kind of money are gone now

MyFairLady

Reaction score
For all the people who are fans of restructuring contracts to free up cap space I would recommend visiting overthecap.com. Pay special attention to all of our largest cap numbers. You will notice that the cap number is always higher than the base salary. Do you know why that is? That is because of all the restructuring and that is the reason why our salary cap is all used up when we have very few players that actually have significant base salaries. It is a win now mentality with no regard for the future and it is a poor way to run a franchise.

We can't afford all of our players under the current salary cap. No problem lets spend future salary cap. Problem solved.

Brutal.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
OMG the Eagles just restructured ZErtz and LJohnson to free up cap space to pay for their expenditures

DEN restructured Von Miller
MIA cut MPouncey
BAL restructured BWilliams

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
For all the people who are fans of restructuring contracts to free up cap space I would recommend visiting overthecap.com. Pay special attention to all of our largest cap numbers. You will notice that the cap number is always higher than the base salary. Do you know why that is? That is because of all the restructuring and that is the reason why our salary cap is all used up when we have very few players that actually have significant base salaries. It is a win now mentality with no regard for the future and it is a poor way to run a franchise.

We can't afford all of our players under the current salary cap. No problem lets spend future salary cap. Problem solved.

Brutal.
The problem is they don't restructure enough

You can't do some every other year.......pick a strategy an stick to it

Can't be 1/2 pregnant....if DAL went all in they would 50-60m in cap space but then SJones would have no excuses on why he didn't spend any money

They could rollover 40m and be 100m under the cap next year...... that is one of those good problems

DBOY3141

Reaction score
The problem is they don't restructure enough

You can't do some every other year.......pick a strategy an stick to it

Can't be 1/2 pregnant....if DAL went all in they would 50-60m in cap space but then SJones would have no excuses on why he didn't spend any money

They could rollover 40m and be 100m under the cap next year...... that is one of those good problems
Not a cap guy at all. Why do you think they won't do this strategy?

J12B

Reaction score
If the 7.5 is used to sign a Veteran Linebacker like Derrick Johnson and bring back Cooper, Wilber, and the long snapper, I see that as money well spent.

In fact, I'd feel better about our LB group if a Vet is signed, Wilber is brought back and we get one in the 2nd or 3rd round (Josey Jewell) compared to have just keeping Hitchens. And I really wanted Hitchens back this year.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Not a cap guy at all. Why do you think they won't do this strategy?
SJones does not want to use/spend money on other team's FAs

He only wants to build thru the Draft and re-sign our own FAs....... he loves Comp Picks and has become obsessed with Dumpster Diving

There are 3 ways to build a roster.....the Draft, Trades and Free Agency
We have abandoned 2 out of 3
So it is better to appear Cap Poor all the time.....it helps sell his philosphpy

If DAL activated all of its available Cap Space we would have over 60m...... but then fan would demand we sign some guys...... if we only show 10m in Cap Space then SJones can make a big production about every Dollar Store FA he signs

Mayowa. Mincey, DJones, Selvie, Gachkar, Bene, RMcClain just don't get it done

But we spent 9m for GHardy for a year
We spent 5m for DMelton
We spent 9m for one year of CThornton
We spent 4m for 4 games from NCarroll
We spent 2m of 4 games from Paea
We re-signed Doug Free for 15m after we found out he stunk
We paid BCarr for 3 extra year's instead of admitting the mistake
We spent 12m on Witten last year and still kept 5 TEs on the roster...... 7m this year
We are spending 3.5m on Beasley and drafted his clone in Switzer

All these smaller mistakes are forgotten by SJones but they add up..... he only remembers BCarr and will never sign a good FA again

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
Ok... how much is Dez making? What would he have this year without any of the restructuring? Tyron Smith? Tony Romo? D. Ware?

They only restructure when they go for big FAs, not to just get under the cap or sign scrubs.

cern

Reaction score
I thought the pick for Freddy was a bad one. By the second preseason game, I knew it was a great pick. Glad he got his money.

funkytown

Reaction score
If the 7.5 is used to sign a Veteran Linebacker like Derrick Johnson and bring back Cooper, Wilber, and the long snapper, I see that as money well spent.

In fact, I'd feel better about our LB group if a Vet is signed, Wilber is brought back and we get one in the 2nd or 3rd round (Josey Jewell) compared to have just keeping Hitchens. And I really wanted Hitchens back this year.
I'm ok with Cooper and a vet LB. But Wilber? Not really a fan of his at all. He offers nothing outside of special teams.

J12B

Reaction score
I'm ok with Cooper and a vet LB. But Wilber? Not really a fan of his at all. He offers nothing outside of special teams.

Same here on Wilber. He has mainly been a special teams player and should only be brought back at that price. He' played very little snaps on defense as a LB and is more of a last resort kinda guy

conner01

Reaction score
Cut Witten for 7 million off cap and zero dead money. This is a no brainer for a team looking to develop younger players.
Now all we need is the younger players because other than maybe Rico no other TE on the roster is going to be a starting TE in this league