Free Agency a Success

Techsass

Reaction score
I think we did OK. Nobody really jumps out at me, but I'm not expecting any mid-season cuts. I think they'll all contribute towards making the team better than last year.

What makes me question where we're headed is how we handle Dlaw & Amari.

robjay04

Reaction score
Drafts rarely mean much for the upcoming season it's more for the future.

I used to think that but I believe that’s wrong.

You need rookies to make an impact right away. You only have 4 seasons so no need to waste one while they grow. Even if they aren’t an all pro right away, they should have a role.

Actually this team has had a lot of success getting players to make an impact right away.

Byron Jones was excellent covering TE’s as a rookie.

Anthony Hitchens was a great rookie, Collins was good, Brown, Vander Esch, Zack Martin, Travis Frederick, Michael Gallup...even Lawrence showed up big in the playoffs his rookie season.

Not to even mention Dak and Zeke. I’m certain I’m missing several players but this team depends on their rookies to play quite a bit.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
Huh?

2018: LVE, Williams, and Gallup all made sizeable impacts
2017: Awuzie and Woods made sizable impacts
2016: Elliot, Collins, Dak, and Brown all made sizable impacts

I wouldn't say rarely
some folks cant see the forest because there's too many damn trees in the wAY.

DCCowboys11

Reaction score
Too many 1 year deal, no stability moving forward and if someone shows out DAL has no control over a Covington, Cobb, Hyder or Quinn. However, this style of contracts could be in prep for 2020 lockout.
Or a new HC

StarBoyz83

Reaction score

You need rookies to make an impact right away. You only have 4 seasons so no need to waste one while they grow. Even if they aren’t an all pro right away, they should have a role.

Actually this team has had a lot of success getting players to make an impact right away.

Anthony Hitchens was a great rookie, Collins was good, Brown, Vander Esch, Zack Martin, Travis Frederick, Michael Gallup...even Lawrence showed up big in the playoffs his rookie season.

Not to even mention Dak and Zeke. I’m certain I’m missing several players but this team depends on their rookies to play quite a bit.

Most of the time it's because dallas has no talent at that position so it was needed. Also depends on what position they're drafting for.

They draft for need. Which is ok. That's how they have to do it

Like this year is a year that wont really make a difference I think.

Rarely was a wrong word to use though I agree

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Often the primary difference in players at a specific position that get drafted in the mid/late 1st vs not in the 1st is how they rate in terms of readiness for the NFL (i.e. ready now).

Some of the draft media indicated Connor Williams was highly regarded by several teams in regards to long-term projections but most thought he needed an NFL redshirt season which dropped him to the Cowboys pick in the 2nd.

I thought Gallup compared well with Calvin Ridley but that Ridley was just ahead of him in terms of a ready-now projection.

Having said that, I don't think the Cowboys had Vander Esch rated as a ready-now type player. I think they loved his upside and planned to work him into to the mix slowly while Lee and Jaylon were the 2018 starters.

In regards to the 2nd round and later I don't think teams over-focus on ready-now for each player; although from their total group of picks in rounds 2-7 they expect to get some amount of production from the group during year 1.

davidariust24

Reaction score
Getting Quinn and Cobb are huge additions when healthy both can make big time impacts. I know Quinn was a pro bowler I don't know about Cobb. Cobb has number 1 receiver qualities and definitely number 2 receiver qualities. The Cowboys have put together quite a roster. We have three questions in my book that we need to answer to win a superbowl.# 1 will our offensive line be better than last year? Dak took soooooo many sacks and we didnt love people like we did in past seasons. I feel with Fredbeard returning and Connor Williams getting stronger and hopefully Lael Collins will work on his core and he will be awesome #2 how will we fix our defensive line to where we want get thrashed like we did vs the rams? That can happen ever again. We need to make sure our DTs and DEs can play the run well. I feel Taco and Armstrong are going to come out and challenge Quinn from the jump. Taco will be ready the problem will be so will Armstrong and Quinn. That'll be a good problem. #3 our tightend play has to be consistent. Jarwin and Shultz made huge strides last season. Witten is coming back but I wouldn't let him dictate how many plays he plays anymore. These young guys can play and they need time on the field to grow. Having Witten around for competition and leadership will help a ton but if I could draft a TE like Irv Smith I think I'd do it unless their is just a flat out better talent than he is left on the board .

morat1959

Reaction score
I quit drinking this koolaid years ago. Stock up on your jerseys, caps, memorabilia and season tickets! Just another typical offseason. Yawn!