Twitter: Free Retiring***Merged***

BigWillie

Reaction score
This is a blow, unplanned and no replacement with no real cap room to backfill. If he's just NOW advising the organization he screwed us. Can Dallas go after some signing bonus money?

It's been rumored for weeks. And if the public heard the rumors, I'm sure the FO has more than planned.

Plankton

Reaction score
Sign Jermon Bushrod as a veteran stopgap option, and look to possibly taking Bolles or Cam Robinson if available at 28.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
His cap hit was $7.5m according to sportrac, can anyone confirm that is completely "Freed" up?

That can certainly pay for a veteran stopgap I would think, any available?
His $5 million base salary is "freed" up. There is also a prorated $1.5 million of bonus they could theoretically go after.

waldoputty

Reaction score
This is a blow, unplanned and no replacement with no real cap room to backfill. If he's just NOW advising the organization he screwed us. Can Dallas go after some signing bonus money?

he frees up $5M - and that is plenty to sign another OT
question is who is left now that Wagner and Whitworth signed.

for all we know, the retirement was what the FO wanted...

Bluefin

Reaction score
Cap implications?

When Doug Free is removed from the active roster, he'll likely be place on Reserve/Retired, his $5M base salary comes off the books with a minimum salary ($540K) taking his spot in the top 51.

The net salary cap savings is $4.46M.

There would still be $2.5M in dead money from a past signing bonus counting against the cap this year and the Cowboys could ask for Free to re-pay it, but I doubt they will.

Rumors of Free's impending retirement surfaced at the scouting combine last week, so I doubt the team was blindsided by the news today.

Chaz Green has plenty of talent to handle the job and he now knows RT is his to lose, but another legit option needs to be found.

Bring on the competition.

itsaboat

Reaction score
disappointed free's biggest fan here hasn't replied yet with his expected praise