From Brad Sham Facebook page

Parche

Reaction score
Check your history. The Cowboys became America's team through failure, not championships.
No one, including the organization, should accept the miserable failure of this organization, the 5-11 seasons, the 8-8 seasons, but falling short of the SB is not a failure; it's being defeated in a game by a better team on a particular day.

The Landry teams that made the playoffs 17 consecutive years were considered the lovable failures who couldn't win the big game. For five straight years, from 1966-1970, while accruing a record of 52-16-2, five first place finishes, we lost two NFL championships to the Packers, two conference championships to the Browns, and a Super Bowl to the Colts. We fans across America loved that team, loved their grit, talent, effort, and never turned on them for losing. After winning the SB vs Miami the next year, we followed that great overdo moment with two more consecutive Conference championship losses to the Commanders and Vikings before missing the playoffs in 1974, then lost a SB to Pittsburg and a divisional playoff to the Rams before Roger Staubach finally won his second SB. Then we lost another SB and five consecutive years in the playoffs, all while becoming America's team.

I've followed the Cowboys since the early '60's when Eddie Labaron and Don Meredith were sharing the QB job, and this has been the most unexpected and satisfying season in all my years. Like Sham, I won't be angry if the Cowboys lose now or in the following weeks. I appreciate this team for the rookie performances and the undermanned defense. Unlike all those years when the most talented team in the NFL, quarterbacked by Roger Staubach, fell short Year after year after year, This team has outperformed all expectations already. I hope they win the SB, but I'll be celebrating this season in its ties to Cowboys history, no matter how or when it ends.

Excellent post. I just want to add that I feel like this organization reached the commitment and win-now-attitude that I want from my team. Men like Witten, Romo, even rooks like Zeke and Dak. Sean Lee. I feel like theyre trying anything in their power to succeed. I dont need to tell you that I didnt have that feeling, many seasons ago.

Everybody plays to win. We play to win. We NEED to win. Theyre payed to win, coaches, players, we expect em to win. Sometimes youre not lucky enough, sometimes youre not good enough. As Risen said, we´ve a really young team, and as good as we did in regular season, having youngsters on key positions maybe is the reason why we can fall short on your SB run.

That doesnt mean Im not enjoying this. Doesnt mean Im not gonna root for my boys from I dunno, 12 000 kms or so far away from Dallas, on a MNG that ends 2 am Buenos Aires time, or shed a tear like when Romo did that TD drive vs the eagirls.

I desperatly need for my boys to win, as I became a fan in the last Aikman year and we all know what happened from those days till now.

Now, if we cant understand that there are 32 teams that want it, and only one takes it... Its a really hard road to take.

Im hoping the best from my boys, next sunday needs to be ours, and Ill be rooting, and yelling, and getting mad win or lose.

(sorry for my english).

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Sounds like loser talk from Sham. Like telling the hot girl you're crazy about that you're just happy being her friend. It's **** or walk.

There are no guaranteed stepping stone seasons. Ask the Dan Marino Dolphins, or even currently the Panthers. The magic that is here today can literally be gone tomorrow.

Nope, now is the time to be all in and go for broke. Save the wimpy "next year" talk for springtime, Brad.
Nobody should like the Friend Zone and feel satisfied with an occasional hug and a deep sniff of her perfume.

preacher238

Reaction score
What a pathetic thing to say. Feelings. Accept whatever.

The truly great organizations, which the Cowboys used to be, don't accept whatever. There's a standard of excellence. Anything short is unacceptable. The fans of these teams should be no different. To accept whatever is to no longer consider the Dallas Cowboys as special, to put them on the same level playing field as the Cincinnati Bengals and Detroit Lions and I refuse to accept that.

Somebody put Tom Landry face down. He doesn't need to see this.

Good thing we drafted Dak...good thing the front office did not listen to the "experts" who said Dak would never amount to anything.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Yeah...they don't do it for our amusement. They do it for all of the money they get from us and/or the love of the game. Either way, I don't think any of them care a fraction of a percent about whether any of us are actually amused.

2007, and in many respects 2014, were a lot more fun (up to this point), so the last 20 years things...nope.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
In the old days we never would be satisfied with this. Times have changed. I want us to go back to the days when we expected to go to the SB every year. This has been a great season and I appreciate this team. It's been fun to watch but don't play with the notion that we'll have a chance to win next year or the year after. Nobody knows if you'll ever get another chance. The future is now.

RS12

Reaction score
There are no guaranteed stepping stone seasons. Ask the Dan Marino Dolphins, or even currently the Panthers. The magic that is here today can literally be gone tomorrow
Well put and 100% correct in the salary cap era.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
I'll be disappointed if they don't win this game. That said, Packers are playing great and they have a HOF QB.

Who knows if they make the playoffs next year, or when they will have HFA again. You have to take advantage of the opportunity.

Each conference has 2 QBS who are SB winners left in the playoffs. I'd like to have Dak added to this list.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Sham wasn't addressing fans who will be disappointed that we didn't finish the miracle season with a SB. He was addressing all the bandwagon *****es that get angry and blame the coaches for ignorance and the players for being gutless or not showing up just because a game ends in a loss. There are 32 teams. For 31 teams, the season will end with a loss, short of a Lombardy trophy and ticker-tape parade. His point addresses fan anger, fans who've never played the game themselves, fans who love everything Cowboys when they win and hate and attack everything Cowboys when they lose. That's totally different from the Cowboys fans who stuck with the lovable losers and Hall of Famers that made the Cowboys what they are, while losing more SBs than they won and losing NFL championships and conference championships at an alarming rate when considered the most talented team in the NFL.

Good posts, Chuck.

(BTW, your namesake is the only SB MVP from the losing team)

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Excellent post. I just want to add that I feel like this organization reached the commitment and win-now-attitude that I want from my team. Men like Witten, Romo, even rooks like Zeke and Dak. Sean Lee. I feel like theyre trying anything in their power to succeed. I dont need to tell you that I didnt have that feeling, many seasons ago.

Everybody plays to win. We play to win. We NEED to win. Theyre payed to win, coaches, players, we expect em to win. Sometimes youre not lucky enough, sometimes youre not good enough. As Risen said, we´ve a really young team, and as good as we did in regular season, having youngsters on key positions maybe is the reason why we can fall short on your SB run.

That doesnt mean Im not enjoying this. Doesnt mean Im not gonna root for my boys from I dunno, 12 000 kms or so far away from Dallas, on a MNG that ends 2 am Buenos Aires time, or shed a tear like when Romo did that TD drive vs the eagirls.

I desperatly need for my boys to win, as I became a fan in the last Aikman year and we all know what happened from those days till now.

Now, if we cant understand that there are 32 teams that want it, and only one takes it... Its a really hard road to take.

Im hoping the best from my boys, next sunday needs to be ours, and Ill be rooting, and yelling, and getting mad win or lose.

(sorry for my english).
Your English is better than a lot of people's.

CowboyGil

Reaction score
This group of guys, especially the young ones, don't care about history good or bad. They want to make their OWN. To have other teams compared to THEM. And besides, Sham is talking to the bandwagoners.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Winning a playoff game isn't easy and we seldom get one at home. That's what this regular season has been all about... a home playoff game and the advantage it provides to advance. This is it folks, home field advantage against a worthy adversary for the right to advance and compete for the NFC championship. Fair weather fans are already showing their true colors. Make notes fellow Cowboyszoners, and remember who they are. GB is that worthy opponent but this is the 2016-17 version of America's Team they are playing and anything is possible. Our balanced attack will be near impossible for GB to shut down for four quarters. Have faith to finish the fight.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
I appreciate what Sham is saying, but 1) it's about the fans, there wouldn't be players or a team or anything without them, and 2) this post-season represents an opportunity the players may not get again.

Dan Marino is unquestionably one of the greatest QBs of all time. The Dolphins made it to the SB his 2nd year, and lost, but Marino said at the time, he just assumed they'd be back. He said, “Ironically, I was 23 years old and I felt for sure that I would be back. After the game, I was disappointed, down about the game. But I was like, ‘You know what, I’m going to be back and we’re going to win one of these. I’m going to be back more than once. Maybe twice, you never know.’ And it never happened."

He played another 16 years, had one of the greatest careers ever, and never made it back to the big show.

We've got homefield, and a relatively healthy team. If the team plays great and loses to GB, or Atlanta or whoever, so be it. But the players better understand that opportunities like this are precious. They may never get a setup like this again. Jimmy Johnson would have no part of Sham's "just glad to be here" attitude, and I hope Garrett and his team don't either.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
Obviously romo has a good life but if I were him I wouldn't be getting sleep right now.

He's been proving people wrong his whole life. Not highly recruited. Not drafted. Bottom of the depth chart. Claws his way up. Raises the franchise an entire level single handedly for a decade. Ignores his own fanbase who Rip him for plays he would probably love to tell you who actually screwed up.

Finally the team is ready to compete and his body fails him and they may very well win th Super Bowl with him watching. As a competitor and a guy who has made football his whole life the next 25 months of his career will really shape how people look at him for the rest of his life
And he's probably give $20 mill back to have this chance....

cheftjpeck

Reaction score
It's not about next year ... that's what the offseason / free agency and draft is for .. planning for next season .. every year is different .. as a fan I will not walk away satisfied unless we are hoisting the Lombardi as champs at the end .. any year we don't I am disappointed and like many cowboy fans have been disappointed for 2 decades plus ... sure we can say at the end what a ride and can't wait until next year but I can never say just whatever .. it's like life tomorrow is not guaranteed :. Live in the moment and the moment is now .. no holding back .. every ounce of energy .. every play .. play it like it's your last ... because if this team even has one guy who thinks wow we're here and I'm satisfied .. then they aren't the right kind of player and need to go ..I know some say we have an excuse because our stars are rookies however there is still a team of vets who should be fighting that stereotype for them and breaking the mold .. this team , this season , this moment is special ... 13-3 and first round bye, team health ... home field advantage .. none of that is guaranteed next year .. NONE of it .. take advantage of the now ... play our game and
Finish The Fight!!!!

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
I think this is a really special opportunity for the cowboys and you don't get many of these next year my never get here again to lose sunday makes this kinda like 2007 all over again eventually you have to start winning some of these type of games I just think its in the playoffs when you earn your respect and to me its a huge fail if they don't