Front office blew it. Not the pick, they blew the trade

fivetwos

Reaction score
I heard last night the Bears and Giants had been in conversations for a while before the draft.

With the number of picks moved, that might be the truth.

So using this piece of information, making a deal with the Bears was too convoluted for a 10 minute pick decision. Evidently the Giants reacted to the Eagles move and still got a WR.

I do not believe the Bears could have made that trade on the fly as it was made. Nor do I think that would have been enough to move to 10. And the final aspect is moving to twenty essentially takes you out of a level of player, and maybe Parsons was the target for Dallas all along.

I also see a group of players that were suggested Dallas trade up into for first for sitting there today waiting to be picked.

There is enough information here to suggest Dallas made the right move, if you look at all the machinations to get it to come out as it did.
Of course they are done in advance.

Dallas probably didn't want to go as low as 20.

My argument is against those who say the opportunity wasn't there.

Many, MANY people were hoping for a deal down for someone coming up for a QB. They had the shot and passed.

Let's say this.....we all realize that Chicago, who obviously wanted to move up, had to have called teams in advance to gauge interest. There's no way to say they didn't.

Dallas wasn't into it, and thats all fine....but it's gotta be part of the overall assessment years down the road.

People want to claim there's no evidence that the deal was offered, when there's also none that it wasn't. What does logic say?

What if Dallas was willing to do the deal cheaper than NY?

Think Chicago didn't attempt to find that out?

Of course they did and this deal was there for the making.

They passed because they wanted a top player this year. All fine, but IMO the Parsons pick includes the alternative. I'm not gonna tell myself Chicago never called. They literally MADE a deal at the very next pick.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Wait so the GIANTS were a threat to take a QB?

I'm not following your logic.

More than we were since we signed Dak. Why trade with Dallas and pay for one extra slot when you don’t have to?

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Already covered all this with trading down with the Bears.

The Cowboys made a good trade. Even came out ahead on points. Additionally they got the same player at 12 they would have got at 10 AND picked up the 84th pick in the process.

Some people can't be reasoned with. The difference between two spots and 10 spots is massive.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bob, we criticize the handling of the draft every year. When have we been wrong? The FO always sits backs and lets other teams scoop up our targets, and then they hold a presser and try to sell that this was there guy all along. Its a load a BS. Passing on the Bears trade offer was absurd. Its like saying that Parsons is worth the 20th overall pick, a first rounder next year, a 3rd, and a 4th rounder. Makes no sense.
Oh I understand. I’ve been criticized by many here for “always” being critical of Jerry and the FO. And they have richly earned that criticism of course. (see last 25 yrs) I’m just saying today it’s too early to judge what they did last night.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Now I don’t really care about the fact they traded down with the eagles and we gotta face deshaun Jackson 2.0 twice a year again.
Smith is the first WR Heisman winner in 29 years. Doesn't mean he'll be Heisman material in the NFL. If anything, the Egals have to face Silence Of The Lamb twice a year, again.

And that's a lot more critical. :laugh:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh I understand. I’ve been criticized by many here for “always” being critical of Jerry and the FO. And they have richly earned that criticism of course. (see last 25 yrs) I’m just saying today it’s too early to judge what they did last night.

Not empirically, but given what we know about the Bears trade offer, Parsons is going to have to be a special player to make passing on that trade look like the right move. Given our recent history of picking LBs, i'm not hopeful. The real value of that pick was when those 2 QBs were on the board at 10. It was a dream draft scenario and we did not cash in.

Sydla

Reaction score
Now I don’t really care about the fact they traded down with the eagles and we gotta face deshaun Jackson 2.0 twice a year again. That prob woulda happened anyways with the giants right behind us and the eagles at 12 anyways, he was going to be in our division.
The obvious problem is not trading down with the bears and getting a first rounder next year. The bears are in limbo and fields might be able to make them a winner and fast but I still think it could all go south in Chicago this year and they could end up drafting in the top 10 next year and gained a 4th that coulda allowed us a chance to move up into the teens again and still have gotten parson or even Collins if Micah was gone. I’m jealous at what NYG did though I’m not about the player they selected. Even coulda gotten darrisaw at 20.

Again, how do you know there was even an offer made?

There are some rumors that the Bears started calling teams right in front of the Pats. They started at 14 and worked their way down with the logic being the higher they had to go the more they'd have to pay.

So for all you know, the Bears never made a serious inquiry about trading to 10.

csirl

Reaction score
If Fields works out, everyone will be saying Dallas made a mistake re-signing Dak for 40m.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Devin White's stats last season (his 2nd season): 140 tackles and 9 sacks.

If Parsons can do that his 2nd season then it's a successful move. I actually think Parsons can be a 10 sack guy.
Man....anyone know why PFF scores doesn't like him. Those stats are incredible.....and I know stats aren't everything but man........

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If Fields works out, everyone will be saying Dallas made a mistake re-signing Dak for 40m.
I mean who is everyone? The people that will say that are the same people who don't like Dak to begin with. They would've said you should've took Mac Jones too.

Sydla

Reaction score
They were looking to trade up for what they consider to be a franchise QB.

They should have called EVERYONE above them.

Plus we are talking about the first only. They paid more than that.

Yes but they also know they just had to get in front of the Pats. So they likely started calling teams at 13 and 14 first because the price to move to those spots. Chargers and Vikes weren't going to take QBs, Philly was the only threat. Once Philly went to 10 to take Smith, maybe the Bears called NY to make a move?

Blackspider214

Reaction score
We shouldnt have been in a position to draft a LB anyways.

You can thank JJ for so many things. Guy is just plain incompetent.

Yep. I don't hate the pick of Parsons as the player. But the fact we had to use a top pick on a position we invested in heavily over the past years is typical Dallas. All we do is spin our wheels in the mediocre ditch we have dug. We fail at so many drafts and then in a few years, we are having to draft for those mistakes. And I really mean the defense. The front office did pretty well building a legit offense. But the defense, special teams and coaching hires are so bad, it drags this team down. This is the same front office who took Jaylon with a very high 2nd rd pick. They picked Taco over TJ Watt because TJ "didn't fit our system". We kept Garrett here for a decade. Picked Trysten Hill with a 2nd rd pick. This front office has zero idea how to build a defense. We have used so much draft capital and have gained nothing.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Maybe they didn't offer us a trade. The Cowboys don't have time when they're on the clock to call every team in the league to see if they want the pick. If someone calls, they can trade. Moving back to 20 would also have taken you out of the running on any of the first round graded talent. And if Chicago improves, you probably get a mid 20s pick next year. I'm good with what they did
I would think if you are trading up to get your qb and the team prior to the one your looking to trade with us a wheel and deal team that you would most definitely inquire to see

mldardy

Reaction score
Now I don’t really care about the fact they traded down with the eagles and we gotta face deshaun Jackson 2.0 twice a year again. That prob woulda happened anyways with the giants right behind us and the eagles at 12 anyways, he was going to be in our division.
The obvious problem is not trading down with the bears and getting a first rounder next year. The bears are in limbo and fields might be able to make them a winner and fast but I still think it could all go south in Chicago this year and they could end up drafting in the top 10 next year and gained a 4th that coulda allowed us a chance to move up into the teens again and still have gotten parson or even Collins if Micah was gone. I’m jealous at what NYG did though I’m not about the player they selected. Even coulda gotten darrisaw at 20.
THE DRAFT IS NOT OVER. STOP WITH THIS NONSENSE.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Did the Bears call the Cowboys?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I for one do not agree with trading back to 20.

Name me any player taken at 20 or later that still had a 1st round grade:

They got a player with a high 1st round grade and were able to still pickup a 3rd round pick. Solid move. There's nothing else to see here.

fivetwos

Reaction score
More than we were since we signed Dak. Why trade with Dallas and pay for one extra slot when you don’t have to?
Because you don't know if the team at 11 is willing to trade, and when you're going up for a QB, you don't go cheap like that.

You make the deal with whoever you can.

In the case, Dallas wasn't into it, and NY was.

Doesn't mean Chicago NEVER called, and thats the point.

People are trying to claim the same deal wasn't there for Dallas. BS.

Someone could have gone to nine for Fields. Chicago went as high as they could for him, and that turned out to be 11 because apparently Dallas wasn't into moving to 20....NOT because it wasn't discussed.

Besides, they paid more than the 2022 first.

Were they really trying to skimp on the 4ths and 5ths that were throw ins?

Only point here is the deal was there for Dallas to make if they wanted to. The OP thinks they should have taken it.

I'm 50/50 until it all plays out, same as any other pick.

Meanwhile I'm happy to have Parsons.

Anyone who tells me Chicago never called.. I don't agree with.