Front office blew it. Not the pick, they blew the trade

lk8701

Reaction score
I for one do not agree with trading back to 20.

Name me any player taken at 20 or later that still had a 1st round grade:

They got a player with a high 1st round grade and were able to still pickup a 3rd round pick. Solid move. There's nothing else to see here.

Caleb Farley and maybe Christian Darrisaw

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Because you don't know if the team at 11 is willing to trade, and when you're going up for a QB, you don't go cheap like that.

You make the deal with whoever you can.

In the case, Dallas wasn't into it, and NY was.

Doesn't mean Chicago NEVER called, and thats the point.

People are trying to claim the same deal wasn't there for Dallas. BS.

Someone could have gone to nine for Fields. Chicago went as high as they could for him, and that turned out to be 11 because apparently Dallas wasn't into moving to 20....NOT because it wasn't discussed.

Besides, they paid more than the 2022 first.

Were they really trying to skimp on the 4ths and 5ths that were throw ins?

Only point here is the deal was there for Dallas to make if they wanted to. The OP thinks they should have taken it.

I'm 50/50 until it all plays out, same as any other pick.

Meanwhile I'm happy to have Parsons.

Anyone who tells me Chicago never called.. I don't agree with.

In the presser JJ said basically that Parsons was their guy and while they felt comfortable dropping a couple spots— they didn’t want to drop too far back and lose the player.

He was their guy. Some fans are fine with that. Some are upset. IMO... as always with the draft: time will tell lol.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Caleb Farley and maybe Christian Darrisaw

I am pretty sure they did not have a 1st round grade on the 4th OT taken in this draft. Same with Farley, but had he not needed back surgery he may have gone earlier. As they sat neither were graded 1st round options. i am so glad we didn't take another guy coming off surgery. Even listening to NFL right now saying Farley shouldn't have been taken as high as 22 especially with his injury issues.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
A first from the Bears in 2022 does nothing for us this season. Jerry is in win now mode.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
To the people making this argument, who are you drafting @20?

I wasn't a huge fan of Parson at 10, and was iffy where we got him, but there is absolutely no denying his talent is leaps and bounds ahead of anyone left at 20.

DFWJC

Reaction score
1) So we know we were offered the same thing?
2) we aren't getting a player like Parsons at #20
3) a 3 this year is kind of treated like a a 2 next year, which means a 1 next year is similar to a 2 this year. So Micah and a 3 vs pick #20 and a 2? I'm happy with what we did. But then again, I'm hoping to not suck this year.
Exactly

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Now I don’t really care about the fact they traded down with the eagles and we gotta face deshaun Jackson 2.0 twice a year again. That prob woulda happened anyways with the giants right behind us and the eagles at 12 anyways, he was going to be in our division.
The obvious problem is not trading down with the bears and getting a first rounder next year. The bears are in limbo and fields might be able to make them a winner and fast but I still think it could all go south in Chicago this year and they could end up drafting in the top 10 next year and gained a 4th that coulda allowed us a chance to move up into the teens again and still have gotten parson or even Collins if Micah was gone. I’m jealous at what NYG did though I’m not about the player they selected. Even coulda gotten darrisaw at 20.
I love that the Eagles traded back up for Smith. Didnt cost us a dime and they could have had a more impactful player for that price.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Too many assumptions here.

Maybe the Bears didn't want to trade up to 10 with the Cowboys because even though it was only one pick higher; maybe the cost would have been even steeper than what they gave the Giants.

The bottom line is the Cowboys got who they wanted and a bonus 3rd; and all it cost them was an extra 20 minute or so wait to send in the card.

plymkr

Reaction score
Devin White's stats last season (his 2nd season): 140 tackles and 9 sacks.

If Parsons can do that his 2nd season then it's a successful move. I actually think Parsons can be a 10 sack guy.
I think Parsons is the best playmaker on our defense right now. Our defense is pathetic and we have no one that can disrupt a game. Parsons automatically makes our defense better.

Blitz him and see if that frees up DLaw and Gregory. If that's successful then we already have 3 players upgraded over last year.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
After moaning about this for the last 12 hours, there are definitely a few ways to look at it.

In the end, like every other draft move, it's going to take time to assess.

But the idea that Chicago made a deal for a QB at 11 and never bothered to call the team holding the 10th pick is absurd logic.
yeah that makes sense, I doubt dallas was interested in a trade down that far.
And it could be if all teams turned the bears down at first, they sweetened the deal and the giants jumped on it.
Could be the giants called them back and said they would do it for a better deal , and that is when next years 1st came into play.

The cowboys/ jones boys have never been good at trading down and getting great deals.
The giants have a real GM so they got a good deal.

That said what dallas did wasnt bad, they got their guy and a 3rd, so thats better than just picking him at 10.

Big_D

Reaction score
Not every trade is available to every team. One spot is another pick... it's not the same deal.

Creeper

Reaction score
No issue with the trade, but I would have preferred a trade down to get a deal like the Giants got from Chicago. But Chicago knew they did not have to worry about who the Cowboys or Giants were going to take. They knew both would draft position players, not QBs. Maybe they were concerned the Eagles were going to take a QB.