FS1:The gap between the Cowboys and the Eagles is at the quarterback position

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Eagles defense didn’t do so hot when the other teams had an actual QB.
They took the Chiefs to the brink. Much closer than I thought it would be.

And the Egirls definitely strengthened their defense in 1st round of draft. They could be the top defense this year.

And we don’t have a Mahomes or some of the other Elite QB’s in AFC. Egirls at least prob have best QB in NFC. I see them running away in NFC again assuming Hurts stays healthy.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Philly just better hope defensive coordinators haven’t caught up to that offense and Hurts.

The threat of Hurts running the football completely changes everything for that team. Not only does he continually move the chains running the ball, but he opens things up for the other RB’s. With defenses so worried about that run game, it gives Hurts and the receivers easy looks and easy reads in the passing game.

And with the offense piling up yards and points, while having a big advantage in time of possession, it made things much easier on the defense. They’d jump out to a lead early with that offense, making the opposing offense start to become more one dimensional. The time of possession was so in favor of the Eagles, that it kept the defense fresh and able to pin their ears back getting after the QB. Even when the defense did allow a score, the Eagles offense was so efficient that they’d just go down and score again, giving the edge back to their defense.

All of that was because of the threat of Hurts running the ball. All of it.

Defensive coordinators will eventually figure out how to counter it… they always do. Will it be this season, after working on it all summer? I don’t know. But they eventually will.

But Philadelphia fans better hope that Hurts stays healthy and that they haven’t figured out how to slow it down yet. Once defenses figure out how to play that offense, it is going to change that entire team, IMO.
Doesn’t every team’s fans hope their starting quarterback stays healthy, and that their defense can figure out how to play every opponents’ offense? The Eagles aren’t special. But even their weird coach is trying to get the most out of what he has.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
The Eagles had the most talent in the NFL last season by every measure and did not when the Super Bowl. They won two playoff games with Hurts passing for less the 150 yards per game. In the two wins Hurts did not turnover the football. The Cowboys have never been the most talented team in the NFL since the mid 90s.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Doesn’t every team’s fans hope their starting quarterback stays healthy, and that their defense can figure out how to play every opponents’ offense? The Eagles aren’t special. But even their weird coach is trying to get the most out of what he has.
As much as I hate their fans and city I have to acknowledge they may have not only the best defense in NFC this year but best QB. That’s a lethal combination.

What’s worse is we could have the 2nd best record in NFC and have to be on the road in playoffs. It’s time for NFL to change that rule.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Eagles had the most talent in the NFL last season by every measure and did not when the Super Bowl. They won two playoff games with Hurts passing for less the 150 yards per game. In the two wins Hurts did not turnover the football. The Cowboys have never been the most talented team in the NFL since the mid 90s.
And that’s an excellent point in your last sentence.

I’m not sure why we expect to have more success without an Elite QB or defense?

When we were winning championships , we did. Even in Cap era it’s very difficult to win a championship without either or.

Maybe we can build an Elite defense. That’s prob our best shot right now with our QB.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
That is true. However, most contending teams don’t have the entire teams success built upon the QB’s ability to run to make everything go. You make Hurts just throw the ball without the threat to the defense of his running, and it changes everything about that team, like I said above.

Mahomes, for instance, is very important to that KC team’s success, and like you mentioned, take him away and it changes that offense. However, it isn’t his ability to run that is the key. It is his arm is what kills defenses. If Mahomes ran like Hurts and was in that same scheme, and I’d feel the same way about him as well.

Hurts is really good in that scheme, so I’m not saying anything bad about him… I’m just saying, stop that running threat and you’ll change that entire offense… which will expose the defense much more.

Will other team’s figure out how to slow it? I don’t know but when they do, it will change everything.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That is true. However, most contending teams don’t have the entire teams success built upon the QB’s ability to run to make everything go. You make Hurts just throw the ball without the threat to the defense of his running, and it changes everything about that team, like I said above.

Mahomes, for instance, is very important to that KC team’s success, and like you mentioned, take him away and it changes that offense. However, it isn’t his ability to run that is the key. It is his arm is what kills defenses. If Mahomes ran like Hurts and was in that same scheme, and I’d feel the same way about him as well.

Hurts is really good in that scheme, so I’m not saying anything bad about him… I’m just saying, stop that running threat and you’ll change that entire offense… which will expose the defense much more.

Will other team’s figure out how to slow it? I don’t know but when they do, it will change everything.
Ultimately QB’s with running ability eventually have their legs taken out from under them due to injuries. Not defenses figuring them out.

And Hurts effectiveness in passing game is underrated due to not needing him to win with his arm but he made plenty of plays by extending the play with legs, the same thing Mahomes does and many of the great ones.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
If Joy Taylor was flat chested, she'd be working at IHOP
And that’s an excellent point in your last sentence.

I’m not sure why we expect to have more success without an Elite QB or defense?

When we were winning championships , we did. Even in Cap era it’s very difficult to win a championship without either or.

Maybe we can build an Elite defense. That’s prob our best shot right now with our QB.
The Cowboys had a chance to win the East all the way up to the final game last season. The Eagles had no season ending injuries to any of their starters and barely held us off. Hurts runs the football better than Dak and protects the football better. Dak is the better passer in and out of the pocket and it’s not close.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Difference first and foremost is General Manager...then OLine...then QB....then WR. They build their team to take advantage of the rules.

We bring in Marty Ball...overdraft a blocking tight end, and want to build our team around the rules that worked 3 decades ago.

It all starts with the GM though....and knowing g how to work the system.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Cowboys had a chance to win the East all the way up to the final game last season. The Eagles had no season ending injuries to any of their starters and barely held us off. Hurts runs the football better than Dak and protects the football better. Dak is the better passer in and out of the pocket and it’s not close.
You forgot that Hurts was out a couple games, including the one we won, and only reason division was close in the end .

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
As much as I hate their fans and city I have to acknowledge they may have not only the best defense in NFC this year but best QB. That’s a lethal combination.

What’s worse is we could have the 2nd best record in NFC and have to be on the road in playoffs. It’s time for NFL to change that rule.
Disagree. Good cornerbacks, less than average safeties. Linebackers not in the top half of the league, collectively. D-Line top half of the league and if the guy they drafted in 2022 pans out, top ten. But USFL teams have better running back rooms than Philly, and sans ball control their D will be worked hard. The NFCE is strong, Eagles and Cowboys will not be top seed, but winning the division will get at least one home playoff game.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Disagree. Good cornerbacks, less than average safeties. Linebackers not in the top half of the league, collectively. D-Line top half of the league and if the guy they drafted in 2022 pans out, top ten. But USFL teams have better running back rooms than Philly, and sans ball control their D will be worked hard. The NFCE is strong, Eagles and Cowboys will not be top seed, but winning the division will get at least one home playoff game.
So, who are you picking for top seed in NFC?

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
This isn't 1992.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They took the Chiefs to the brink. Much closer than I thought it would be.

And the Egirls definitely strengthened their defense in 1st round of draft. They could be the top defense this year.

And we don’t have a Mahomes or some of the other Elite QB’s in AFC. Egirls at least prob have best QB in NFC. I see them running away in NFC again assuming Hurts stays healthy.
That's the spirt....already giving! Comical....

SpaceCowboy99

Reaction score
You nailed it bro. The eagles will keep dominating because they have a consistent QB and we have a QB that never graduated from college play.