Furman College DT passes away after practice

Sydla

Reaction score
it's not nuanced. people were shouting that higher incidents were fake news and unequivocally DID NOT happen. Those that thought it did were "conspiracy theorists" and asking the question was not worth even addressing as serious humans, because derp science of a 99% effective vaccine that "made you immune" from getting covid, that was redefined to "well you can get covid if you have the vaccine, but not bad covid" ......... etc, etc.

the study shows that if you never got covid and got the vaccine, there is an increase. that scenario is the science you now must accept.

I didn't mention the study said anything about young athletes. but it did not refute it either. you seem to be of the camp that science is NOT about asking questions but "obey the initial assertion from for profit drug manufacturers and governments"

I'm vaccinated not boosted, so I am not a ideologue. but the one side that shuts every thing and questiondown and then has to incrementally move the goalposts is definitely the side I'm watching versus the "make your own call" side.

the fact Novak Djokovic, elite athlete in an isolated outdoor sport, was banned from the US Open while refugees, immigrants and illegals were never sent back based on vaccine status shows how unserious a country and debate this is

and just so you are clear this isn't a immigration rant and move the goal posts, it is not. it is about numbers (1 vs 1000s) and consistency of applying the law based on "science"
I can only explain what the study says. You lament ideologues but right now there are people running around claiming this study proves vaccines are bad, they cause massive problems, etc. And many of those claiming higher incident rates were talking about rampant side effects.

This study, in no way, shape or form, states that or supports that if you actually read the study. If anything, this study that they are touting actually still undermines them because the study is very clear that all these side effects are still extremely rare and that getting COVID increases the risk for these side effects more than getting the vaccine.

In a discussion about an increase in deaths in athletes and the cause, you plopped down this study, quoting me about no rise in athlete deaths, as if 1) the study would prove my claim wrong and 2) that I had somehow been arguing that vaccines had no side effects or even increased rates of side effects. If I misunderstood your intent here, then my apologies.

They study basically says they are seeing higher incidence rates that what was expected, that they still are extremely rare and that we should conduct more research into associations between certain vaccines and side effects (which I totally agree with - more research should be done).

Last edited:

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
I can only explain what the study says. You lament ideologues but right now there are people running around claiming this study proves vaccines are bad, they cause massive problems, etc. And many of those claiming higher incident rates were talking about rampant side effects.

This study, in no way, shape or form, states that or supports that if you actually read the study. If anything, this study that they are touting actually still undermines them because the study is very clear that all these side effects are still extremely rare and that getting COVID increases the risk for these side effects more than getting the vaccine.

In a discussion about an increase in deaths in athletes and the cause, you plopped down this study, quoting me about no rise in athlete deaths, as if 1) the study would prove my claim wrong and 2) that I had somehow been arguing that vaccines had no side effects or even increased rates of side effects. If I misunderstood your intent here, then my apologies.

They study basically says they are seeing higher incidence rates that what was expected, that they still are extremely rare and that we should conduct more research into associations between certain vaccines and side effects (which I totally agree with - more research should be done).
the study only shows it is higher risk than those without covid and without a Vax. we were told forever that was not the case.

there has been no definitive study on athletes. we are again told it doesn't exist. asking the question from seeing anecdotal events is not the problem

Sydla

Reaction score
the study only shows it is higher risk than those without covid and without a Vax. we were told forever that was not the case.

there has been no definitive study on athletes. we are again told it doesn't exist. asking the question from seeing anecdotal events is not the problem
Making a claim, like someone in this thread did, doesn't constitute asking a question. When one won't accept data or a study that refutes their claim, instead saying it's just from biased sources, it's hard to argue that person is just asking a question.

We do have some studies on athletes. There was a study done last year looking at sudden cardiac deaths using NCAA data, etc. Look at the last 20 years from 2002-2022. Sudden cardiac deaths have been actually doing down and there was no spike post 2020 vaccine. So it's kind of hard to argue the vaccine has caused a rash/increase in athlete deaths when the numbers apparently show the opposite. That doesn't mean I think that it's over. Researchers should continue to look at vaccines and their side effects and there should be studies/research into athlete deaths. But to date, there is nothing to show any connection at this point and the reality is athlete deaths isn't something new, it's been around for awhile to the point studies were done in the 2000s and 2010s looking at this very issue.

Davidlee1973

Reaction score
Seems everyone here is afraid to say cuz they worried about getting censored, well I will say it and I got the shot, so I can say it. Covid vaccine. Don’t dance around it if you want to talk about it. Talk about it. Cuz there is too much evidence that Covid vaccine does increase the risks of these issues, to just avoid it for convenience of avoiding it. there is nothing wrong with having a the conversation.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
https://nypost.com/2024/02/09/sports/furman-defensive-tackle-bryce-stanfield-dead-at-21/

Was not really sure where to put this, so added it here.

This was my ex wife’s nephew. I never met him. But knew her brother since he was around 9. And met his wife a few times.

He told her a blood clot from his leg, caused it. Had some heart attacks and then lungs collapsed. They made the decision to remove him from life support. As he was brain dead.

It says DT but a few years ago he was at LB
Sorry for your family's loss Jazz. That's awful.

Gonzomandela01

Reaction score
So sad to read this, a tragedy that a young man who is working hard at life passes away.

My condolences to his family and friends.