FWST Blog: Bennett starting to get it

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bennett starting to get it
Cowboys rookie tight end Martellus Bennett is starting to get what kind of commitment it takes to play in the NFL. After being hammered by Hard Knocks, which scrutinized his care-free attitude, Bennett appears to be progressing much better since leaving Oxnard. Bennett has blocked well and had a nice 20-yard reception against the Eagles -- his first catch in the league.

"He's worked at it and he knows what it takes to play pro football," Wade Phillips said. "I don't think he did at first."

Wade said Bennett needs a tight ends coach like John Garrett, who coaches him through every step and has been in his ear since the day he arrived at Valley Ranch.

"I think he was going to get it," Phillips said. "He just wasn't quite ready for what it was going to take. As he went along he got better."

But just when you think Bennett's all focused on football and getting better, he talks at his locker today of several minutes about super heroes and his love for Aquaman. How old is this guy, anyway?

- Rick Herrin

Posted at 01:07 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack (0)

Boysboy

Reaction score
Wow-FINALLY some good news today!:)

Bennett has come a long way, that's for sure!

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
I don't know this writer well, was that a cheap shot at the end or was it tongue in cheek?

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I really liked Aquaman too . The Justice League never showed enough of Aquaman , The Green Lantern , Hawkman , or Apache Chief . It was always just Batman , the Boy Wonder , Superman , and Wonder Woman .

tyke1doe

Reaction score
He catches a 20 yard pass, and everyone's celebrating him turning the corner. :rolleyes:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
JIMMYBUFFETT;2269303 said:
I really liked Aquaman too . The Justice League never showed enough of Aquaman , The Green Lantern , Hawkman , or Apache Chief . It was always just Batman , the Boy Wonder , Superman , and Wonder Woman .

You left out the best one of all ... The Flash! ;)

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
tyke1doe;2269318 said:
He catches a 20 yard pass, and everyone's celebrating him turning the corner. :rolleyes:

That any worse than those calling him a bust because he was a little immature his first training camp?

:rolleyes:

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
So he has a healthy obsession with Aquaman. That's much better than liking PoleDancing Woman or Hemp Man.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After not making a great first impression, I think Bennett has really turned the corner and as this post says 'gotten it'.

Great to hear because it looks like he has all of the physical requirements to be another weapon for this offense.

parchy

Reaction score
He had one grab, in which the blocking set him up perfectly for a big gainer.

He's big, fast and has a lot of potential, but excuse me if I don't sound that optimistic yet. I'll wait until he does something worth remembering.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Bennett had that long first down catch too, until Dawkins timed it perfectly and hit the ball (and Bennett's hands) with his helment. If you watch that play in slow motion, you can tell that Martellus caught the ball a split second before getting hammered.

I don't blame him for dropping it either because that hit Dawkins put on the ball was perfect and would have made anyone drop the ball.

Still, he ran a perfect sideline pattern and would've made a big first down if not for Dawkins.

He's such a great athlete for a TE. He just glides when he runs and eats up yardage in chunks.

I stand corrected on the pick. I didn't like it but now it's clear why the team really wanted him.

Reaction score
He's coming around nicely... I'd like to see him break a few arm tackles, but at least he's running with the ball tight to his chest.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
parchy;2269378 said:
I'll wait until he does something worth remembering.

The fact that Garrett has him out there should tell you something. Also, keep an eye on his blocking, he is very powerful for a 21 year old. It’s only 2 games.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AsthmaField;2269422 said:
Bennett had that long first down catch too, until Dawkins timed it perfectly and hit the ball (and Bennett's hands) with his helment. If you watch that play in slow motion, you can tell that Martellus caught the ball a split second before getting hammered.

I don't blame him for dropping it either because that hit Dawkins put on the ball was perfect and would have made anyone drop the ball.

Still, he ran a perfect sideline pattern and would've made a big first down if not for Dawkins.

He's such a great athlete for a TE. He just glides when he runs and eats up yardage in chunks.

I stand corrected on the pick. I didn't like it but now it's clear why the team really wanted him.

Yeah, that was Dawkins' one shining moment on an otherwise forgettable night.

I've always liked Dakwins but he really looked like he's lost a stepn on Moday night - Witten absolutely abused him.

But Bennett would have had another great play if not for Dawkins' perfectly-timed and perfectly-placed hit.

His blocking has looked very good as well.

I wasn't crazy about 'another second round TE' either, but I like what I've seen from his thus far.