FWST Blog: Holland to Start Again

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Whatever Montrae Holland did in his first start of the season for the Cowboys in the game against the Seahawks was apparently better than Cory Procter, so the guard will start again against the Steelers.

Procter proved to be a good backup, but he hit a ceiling early after he replaced Kyle Kosier.

Holland, who was a starter for the Broncos last season, may not be the second coming of Steve Hutchinson but he appears to be an upgrade over Procter.

- Mac Engel

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
What, you mean Porcter isn't better than him afterall? That's shocking.

The only bad thing about this situation is once again, we have no depth. If Koiser returns for another year, he'll probably be a backup and he'd be valuable in that role, but every other o-lineman in this roster is garbage.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He will likely start the rest of the season.

I'm just glad we made the deal to get him. Otherwise we would be stuck with Procter.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TheCount;2455279 said:
What, you mean Porcter isn't better than him afterall? That's shocking.

The only bad thing about this situation is once again, we have no depth. If Koiser returns for another year, he'll probably be a backup and he'd be valuable in that role, but every other o-lineman in this roster is garbage.

Yeah, I'm less than thrilled with the group myself.

The worse thing that could happen to this team would be to suffer an injury at tackle.

They have no capable backups at that spot.

I was hoping that some O-linemen would be signed during the recent roster shake-ups.

Sadly that's not been the case.

The Panch

Reaction score
Fat boy just better stay away from the buffet line til February 2nd. ;)

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Wow. Kosier already put on the second team. After all the crying out for him. I think I'll wait to see what Holland and the rest can do the rest of the year. Not saying who is better. Just waiting to make my mind up.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
jobberone;2455360 said:
Wow. Kosier already put on the second team. After all the crying out for him. I think I'll wait to see what Holland and the rest can do the rest of the year. Not saying who is better. Just waiting to make my mind up.

Well, he's on IR, and he wasn't playing that great when he came back from the injury. Holland is an upgrade over what was a hobbling Kosier.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Don Corleone;2455370 said:
Well, he's on IR, and he wasn't playing that great when he came back from the injury. Holland is an upgrade over what was a hobbling Kosier.

Proctor is an upgrade over a hobbled Kosier. Not saying Holland won't beat him out. Hey, they would be great to be better than Kosier who I think is a very solid guard.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
jobberone;2455372 said:
Proctor is an upgrade over a hobbled Kosier. Not saying Holland won't beat him out. Hey, they would be great to be better than Kosier who I think is a very solid guard.

A healthy Kosier is solid, but I have a habit of o-line watching during the game, and I could tell something was up with him even before it was reported that he reinjured himself. Insert Proctor, and you have a healthy body, but not the skills of Kosier. Insert Holland, and you have an upgrade over Proctor, but not at the level of the healthy Kosier.

Proctor was just getting manhandled at times, and Holland, at least against Seattle, was holding his ground. He'll be tested this month, but kudos to JJ for having him on our roster this year.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
jobberone;2455360 said:
What?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
theogt;2455419 said:

Lot's of noise about Kosier sucking before he's hurt then moans for his return and as soon as Holland has one good game against one of the worse defensive teams in the league some are already demoting Kosier to his backup. Fickle Fans Club.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
jobberone;2455436 said:
Lot's of noise about Kosier sucking before he's hurt then moans for his return and as soon as Holland has one good game against one of the worse defensive teams in the league some are already demoting Kosier to his backup. Fickle Fans Club.
How is Kosier being demoted?

BigDinAZ

Reaction score
As long as he keeps the d-line at bay, and Tony isn't getting sacked... he has a job!!

Iago33

Reaction score
jobberone;2455436 said:

Jobberone,

You're usually a pretty coherent poster. Your posts today have been hard to decipher--are you doing okay?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jobberone, I'm following you just fine. But this is how it goes. Step one: complain about Kyle Kosier from the day he was signed. Step two: decide he's the weak link on the OL. Step three: when he goes down and OL play drops off precipitously, act surprised. Step four: conclude Proctor must really suck. Step five, when Kosier returns and plays on a damaged and broken leg, let everybody know you noticed something was wrong. Step six: replace Kosier with a fat, lazy, traveling OL, promote him to starter, relegate Kosier to backup, weak link in the OL officially fixed.

Then, next season, with Holland as the weak link, you're all set for the post about how his play really dropped off after 2008 because he got complacent.

sago1

Reaction score
Most of you seem to forget that Thursday was Holland's first start with the Cowboys. There's a reason why teams like to get chemistry established on their OL. Just saying that there's a good chance Holland will continue to improve at the LG position as he get's more comfortable playing between Gurode & Adams. Of course starting against Seattle is very different from starting against the Steelers. OTOH, it's not like the Steelers are so great that they are undefeated and Roth... has proved to be very vulnerable to the sack.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Idgit;2455490 said:
Jobberone, I'm following you just fine. But this is how it goes. Step one: complain about Kyle Kosier from the day he was signed. Step two: decide he's the weak link on the OL. Step three: when he goes down and OL play drops off precipitously, act surprised. Step four: conclude Proctor must really suck. Step five, when Kosier returns and plays on a damaged and broken leg, let everybody know you noticed something was wrong. Step six: replace Kosier with a fat, lazy, traveling OL, promote him to starter, relegate Kosier to backup, weak link in the OL officially fixed.

Then, next season, with Holland as the weak link, you're all set for the post about how his play really dropped off after 2008 because he got complacent.
Dude, who said anything about Kosier being relegated to backup?