FWST Blog: Who's on the bubble?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who's on the bubble?

Here's five players on the bubble of making the roster that need to get it going and show something in the preseason games. Or could it be too late?...Also, stay tuned for the Cowboys Corner 53-man roster prediction before Saturday's preseason opener.

1. CB Alan Ball -- There's a lot of competition at the position and he got behind with a sprained ankle but has returned.

2. OL James Marten -- Right now, don't see him making the team. Just hasn't made enough noticeable progress.

3. RB Alonzo Coleman -- Might be showing something for another team. Producing a nice little burst and running through every play hard.

4. QB Richard Bartel -- Been up and down in camp and not going to unseat Brad Johnson as the No. 2. Would likely be picked up by another team if he's not on the 53.

5. CB Quincy Butler -- Cowboys kept six CBs on the roster last season and there are six locks already. Hamstring injury may have been his demise.

- Rick Herrin

Posted at 10:20 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack (0)

Woods

Reaction score
Man, I hope we don't have to give up on Martin already.

But I haven't heard much regarding him one way or another.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Those injuries really suck for Butler, both last year and this.

When healthy, he was showing alot of potential.

MagicMan

Reaction score
The Matt Moore fiasco really messed this up.....he could have been an adequate backup and maybe unseated Johnson. Trying to get him on the practice squad was a big gamble; especially after seeing how many teams were trying to sign him as a FA.

Although the 'Boys have made most of the right moves, this was a stinker.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2178042 said:
2. OL James Marten -- Right now, don't see him making the team. Just hasn't made enough noticeable progress.

Dumb. Not happening. Cowboys will keep 10 oline (basically a backup for each position)

1. Bigg Davis
  2. Andre Gurode
  3. Mark Columbo
  4. Kyle Koiser
  5. Flozell Adams
  6. Cory Proctor
  7. Doug Free
  8. James Marten
  9. Pat McQuistan
  10. Joe Berger

Boysboy

Reaction score
MagicMan;2178213 said:
The Matt Moore fiasco really messed this up.....he could have been an adequate backup and maybe unseated Johnson. Trying to get him on the practice squad was a big gamble; especially after seeing how many teams were trying to sign him as a FA.

FYI-Jake Delhomme will still be the Panthers starter. Assuming he stays healthy, he has at least another 2-3 years.

Matt Moore isn't that great. He had a decent game or 2? So what?

lkelly

Reaction score
MagicMan;2178213 said:

What I don't get is everyone lamenting over the Matt Moore decision. The team decided that he wasn't worthy of a 53 man roster spot. Whether they tried to "sneak him onto the practice squad" is somewhat irrelevant. If he ended up on the practice squad he can still sign with another team. Either he's going to be on your 53 man roster or not. If he was such a dream prospect, they would have kept him. Of course they had to save room for the dead weight that was Terry Glenn...

DallasDomination

Reaction score
Boysboy;2178234 said:
FYI-Jake Delhomme will still be the Panthers starter. Assuming he stays healthy, he has at least another 2-3 years.

Matt Moore isn't that great. He had a decent game or 2? So what?

He had the makings of a decent back-up..And ok potential so you never know. Bartel and Brad have nothing on this kid, I'll tell you that much.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
nyc;2178228 said:
Dumb. Not happening. Cowboys will keep 10 oline (basically a backup for each position)
  1. Bigg Davis
  2. Andre Gurode
  3. Mark Columbo
  4. Kyle Koiser
  5. Flozell Adams
  6. Cory Proctor
  7. Doug Free
  8. James Marten
  9. Pat McQuistan
  10. Joe Berger
I think we will keep 9, but either Berger or Proctor are the bubble over Marten.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
nyc;2178228 said:
  1. Bigg Davis
  2. Andre Gurode
  3. Mark Columbo
  4. Kyle Koiser
  5. Flozell Adams
  6. Cory Proctor
  7. Doug Free
  8. James Marten
  9. Pat McQuistan
  10. Joe Berger

I don't see that as written in stone. If he makes it then it will be because they are still waiting for him to develop or he's better than the press he's getting.

This will be the worst year in awhile for making those last cuts. We are very deep in talent. Dallas needs to not be afraid to keep young talent. I can see us thinking of going long for at least WR, S, CB, and OLB. Even RB will likely cut two players who will be picked up in Coleman and Lattimore although they could just as easily get thru waivers to the PS.

Can anyone remember the last time the team was this deep?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;2178253 said:
I think we will keep 9, but either Berger or Proctor are the bubble over Marten.

If it's 9, I think Marten gets the axe.

I've at least read some positive comments made about Berger and Procter is the only qualified backup center as far as I know.

I haven't see any good news about Marten other than he 'held his own' during a few drills.

Not exactly a 'glowing review'.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've heard good reviews on Davis, Brown, Ogelsby, and Amendola.

I would hate for the team to keep a mediocre third round pick over a player with better production and upside simply because the team made a mistake and drafted him in the 3rd round.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
stasheroo;2178275 said:
I've heard good reviews on Davis, Brown, Ogelsby, and Amendola.

I would hate for the team to keep a mediocre third round pick over a player with better production and upside simply because the team made a mistake and drafted him in the 3rd round.

Yep. I've heard nothing but good stuff about all four of the players you've listed. If it means we have to keep 9 linemen rather than 10 to keep those four around, I'm all for it.

...from the reports I've read on Marten, it seems he's going to need a few more years to strengthen his 6'7 frame. I don't like the idea of wasting a spot on this roster waiting for him to bulk up.

joseephuss

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2178042 said:
4. QB Richard Bartel -- Been up and down in camp and not going to unseat Brad Johnson as the No. 2. Would likely be picked up by another team if he's not on the 53.

I wonder why he thinks Bartel would get picked up of he is not on Dallas' 53. If Bartel doesn't show enough in pre-season games, then I doubt other teams are going to rush to sign him.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
stasheroo;2178269 said:
If it's 9, I think Marten gets the axe.

I've at least read some positive comments made about Berger and Procter is the only qualified backup center as far as I know.

I haven't see any good news about Marten other than he 'held his own' during a few drills.

Not exactly a 'glowing review'.

Problem is, you don't just give up on the #67th overall pick (3rd pick of 3rd round) after one year. Marten isn't going anywhere unless he is traded.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
nyc;2178299 said:
Problem is, you don't just give up on the #67th overall pick (3rd pick of 3rd round) after one year. Marten isn't going anywhere unless he is traded.

I would rather do that than to compound the error by letting go of someone who can play.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
nyc;2178299 said:

Exactly. Keep him on the team along with whomever else on the PS. What else will they do? Unless the guy is worthless which we'd know about.

lkelly

Reaction score
stasheroo;2178304 said:
I would rather do that than to compound the error by letting go of someone who can play.

Exactly. It shouldn't matter where the guy was picked once he's in training camp. Keep the best 53. If there were some financial consideration to releasing a player, then that factors in. However, Dallas is far under the cap and they aren't talking about cutting anyone that has a large signing bonus looming as a potential cap hit.

Dallas should have cut the majority of the second round picks the last decade before they played their first preseason game. Doesn't help you to carry a stiff like Tony Dixon on the active roster through the duration of his rookie contract if he can't play.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
I would hate to see the Cowboys give up too soon on Marten.

Offensive linemen take time to develop and Dallas has been guilty of giving up too soon on guys.

But if he's just dreadful, that's another story.