FWST Blog: Who's on the bubble?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
stasheroo;2178304 said:
I would rather do that than to compound the error by letting go of someone who can play.

Who said he couldn't play? The guy is young and he wasn't a first round pick. You can't expect him to come in and be ready to start. The guy went to Boston College. My guess is they accepted him (and the Cowboys drafted him #67 overall) because he has something to offer.

Ben_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
nyc;2178228 said:
Dumb. Not happening. Cowboys will keep 10 oline (basically a backup for each position)
  1. Bigg Davis
  2. Andre Gurode
  3. Mark Columbo
  4. Kyle Koiser
  5. Flozell Adams
  6. Cory Proctor
  7. Doug Free
  8. James Marten
  9. Pat McQuistan
  10. Joe Berger

Interesting, a few are capable of playing more than one position. Players like Henry who can earn a roster spot because they can do two things are going to be key this year.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
lkelly;2178313 said:
Exactly. It shouldn't matter where the guy was picked once he's in training camp. Keep the best 53. If there were some financial consideration to releasing a player, then that factors in. However, Dallas is far under the cap and they aren't talking about cutting anyone that has a large signing bonus looming as a potential cap hit.

Dallas should have cut the majority of the second round picks the last decade before they played their first preseason game. Doesn't help you to carry a stiff like Tony Dixon on the active roster through the duration of his rookie contract if he can't play.

If you ran the team every season would be worse than 1989! We wouldn't have any players as most players have to develop before that actually become pretty good. Look at Ratliff. He didn't develop overnight. You would have cut him before the preseason back in 2005! :laugh2:

EDIT: Personally I would have cut Ware in 2005 because he didn't have double digit sacks. I expect double digit sacks from everyone! :laugh2:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
nyc;2178315 said:
Who said he couldn't play? The guy is young and he wasn't a first round pick. You can't expect him to come in and be ready to start. The guy went to Boston College. My guess is they accepted him (and the Cowboys drafted him #67 overall) because he has something to offer.

I never said he 'couldn't play'.

Just that - unlike some others - there haven't been any glowing reviews of his work.

I've read good things about Berger and Free but nothing on Marten - a guy drafted as a tackle who's already been moved to guard.

What I am seeing is a lack of good signs regarding his play.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
nyc;2178320 said:
If you ran the team every season would be worse than 1989! We wouldn't have any players as most players have to develop before that actually become pretty good. Look at Ratliff. He didn't develop overnight. You would have cut him before the preseason back in 2005! :laugh2:

EDIT: Personally I would have cut Ware in 2005 because he didn't have double digit sacks. I expect double digit sacks from everyone! :laugh2:

Yeah, because like Marten, they had shown nothing in two years and have actually had to switch positions to try to find their place.....

Any other gigantic leaps in logic you'd like to make?

:rolleyes:

aikemirv

Reaction score
Definites on Roster

P - McBriar

K - Folk

LS - LP

QB - Romo,Johnson (unless somehow we were to get Simms)

RB - Barber,Jones,Choice,Crickett

WR - TO,Crayton,Hurd,Austin,Stanback

TE - Witten,Bennett,Curtis

OL - Flozell,Columbo,Kosier,Bigg,Gurode,Free,McQuistan

DL - Canty,Spears,Ratliff,Johnson,Hatcher,Bowen

LB's - Ware,Ellis,James,Thomas,Burnett,Carpenter,Spencer

CB's - Newman,Henry,Jones,Jenkins,Scandrick

S's - Hamlin,Williams,Watkins,Brown

BY my count that leaves 7 openings

2 OL - Berger,Proctor,Marten
1 WR - Amendola
1 CB - Oglesby,Ball,Butler - I guess they are saying Oglesby is a lock
2 LB - Rogers,Walden
1 DL - You could go thin here with the talent we have and the ability of Spears and Ratliff able to move around. Not to mention Ellis playing DE in the Nickle

Ben_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
WR - TO,Crayton,Hurd,Amendola,Stanback

It makes much more sense. Austin won't show enough to warrant cutting Amendola. He has too much upside. And as soon as we cut him, he'd be on a flight to Miami.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Ben_n_austin;2178356 said:

It makes much more sense. Austin won't show enough to warrant cutting Amendola. He has too much upside. And as soon as we cut him, he'd be on a flight to Miami.
Nothing wrong with wanting Amendola on the team, but Austin has already made the team, he's at least 4th on the depth chart.

Ben_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
speedkilz88;2178362 said:
Nothing wrong with wanting Amendola on the team, but Austin has already made the team, he's at least 4th on the depth chart.

I'm not sure. It's hard to see us keeping Austin, in my opinion.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Ben_n_austin;2178356 said:

How does an undersized, not that fast WR have too much upside? He may end up being pretty good, but I don't think he has too much upside.

Ben_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
joseephuss;2178368 said:
How does an undersized, not that fast WR have too much upside? He may end up being pretty good, but I don't think he has too much upside.

WRs can be like quarterbacks. If they have it upstairs, it can make their game seem a lot "faster" than it really is. If you watch his routes, etc, he's light years ahead of Austin as far as the mental aspect already. And he's just a rookie.

I think the coaches notice this...

We need a slot receiver who can just get open and execute. I don't think he's going to be a 700+ receiver. But I think a guy like him could yield 450 or so in the slot... even this year, just because of how our offense looks with Witthen, TO, CRayton/Hurd..and Amendola in the slot...Add Felix and we'll have defenses really freaking out.

However it works out, this O will be lethal. I'm not laying down the law or being a so-called know-it-all. I'm just calling it how I'd do it.

(which doesn't mean squat)

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
stasheroo;2178341 said:
Yeah, because like Marten, they had shown nothing in two years and have actually had to switch positions to try to find their place.....

Any other gigantic leaps in logic you'd like to make?

:rolleyes:

How about this leap of logic. Being drafted in 2007 means they've had him one year. Not two. Switching positions isn't unheard of. Did you know Bigg Davis played tackle for the Cardinals in 2006? :laugh2:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MagicMan;2178213 said:
The Matt Moore fiasco really messed this up.....he could have been an adequate backup and maybe unseated Johnson. Trying to get him on the practice squad was a big gamble; especially after seeing how many teams were trying to sign him as a FA.

Although the 'Boys have made most of the right moves, this was a stinker.

First off who says that Moore is going to be anything special in the NFL?

Secondly the team was not going to go into last season with Moore as the #2-- no way Jose.

Thirdly, you don't often see unproven, undrafted, 3rd string QB's making the final 53, unless the team is horrid. Heck, Romo was on the practice squad if I recall.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
nyc;2178391 said:
How about this leap of logic. Being drafted in 2007 means they've had him one year. Not two. Switching positions isn't unheard of. Did you know Bigg Davis played tackle for the Cardinals in 2006? :laugh2:

The reference was to his second training camp with the team - thereby year 2.

And if I recall correctly, Davis actually played in some NFL games at tackle too?

I can't say the same for Marten.

I'm not trying to bash the guy because I honestly don't know enough to make a definitive statement on his abilities - none of us do.

I'm just basing my opinion off of the information available to me.

And in comparing the reports on Marten to those on Davis, Amendola, Ogelsby, and Berger, I would rather keep them, despite where Marten was drafted.

lkelly

Reaction score
nyc;2178320 said:

Ratliff was one of the best 53 players on the team. That's why he was kept. Where did I say you only keep 22 starters?

Not sure what to make of the rest of your post. The fact that it already went through one edit is even more mind boggling.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
joseephuss;2178368 said:

He doesn't need a lot of upside.

He needs to do or play one facet of the game very well. And from all indications it appears that he plays the slot position very well.

That's very possibly enough to earn a roster spot.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Ben_n_austin;2178384 said:
WRs can be like quarterbacks. If they have it upstairs, it can make their game seem a lot "faster" than it really is. If you watch his routes, etc, he's light years ahead of Austin as far as the mental aspect already. And he's just a rookie.

I think the coaches notice this...

We need a slot receiver who can just get open and execute. I don't think he's going to be a 700+ receiver. But I think a guy like him could yield 450 or so in the slot... even this year, just because of how our offense looks with Witthen, TO, CRayton/Hurd..and Amendola in the slot...Add Felix and we'll have defenses really freaking out.

However it works out, this O will be lethal. I'm not laying down the law or being a so-called know-it-all. I'm just calling it how I'd do it.

(which doesn't mean squat)

I think Amendola just may be able to contribute and help Dallas. It was just the statement of "too much upside". I don't see that. If he was taller and faster, then I could see where that would apply.

joseephuss

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2178400 said:
He doesn't need a lot of upside.

He needs to do or play one facet of the game very well. And from all indications it appears that he plays the slot position very well.

That's very possibly enough to earn a roster spot.

I agree. He doesn't need to have all the physical tools such as size and speed to go along with the things he does bring in order for him to help Dallas and earn a roster spot.