FWST Blog: Who's on the bubble?

Ben_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
joseephuss;2178419 said:
I think Amendola just may be able to contribute and help Dallas. It was just the statement of "too much upside". I don't see that. If he was taller and faster, then I could see where that would apply.

As long as he's got a good supporting cast, he's got tremendous upside because you can move him around so many places. From the slot, to the backfield, to the wideout... he's got that shiftiness and knack for finding an open spot on the field.

That's what we need out there with the other guys T.O. and Witten--just a guy to get open and do his job with enthusiasm and leadership.

Pssst. He fits our system well.

Ben_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
joseephuss;2178419 said:
I think Amendola just may be able to contribute and help Dallas. It was just the statement of "too much upside". I don't see that. If he was taller and faster, then I could see where that would apply.

I think there is a lot there, in that a guy like him in the slot would be a little weazle because we have T.O., Witten and Crayton... not to mention you're either covering Barber or Jones.

Like one of the draft guys said, he's not a guy you build your team around. But you fit him in your system.

(sorry if I high jacked this thread with Amendola, but that guy hypes me up.)

joseephuss

Reaction score
Ben_n_austin;2178438 said:
I think there is a lot there, in that a guy like him in the slot would be a little weazle because we have T.O., Witten and Crayton... not to mention you're either covering Barber or Jones.

Like one of the draft guys said, he's not a guy you build your team around. But you fit him in your system.

(sorry if I high jacked this thread with Amendola, but that guy hypes me up.)

That is exactly how I describe him.

It is just a matter of definitions. To me a guy with "too much upside" is a player you do build a team around. Amendola is not that guy, but that doesn't mean he won't or can't possibly help a team.

Ben_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
joseephuss;2178443 said:
That is exactly how I describe him.

It is just a matter of definitions. To me a guy with "too much upside" is a player you do build a team around. Amendola is not that guy, but that doesn't mean he won't or can't possibly help a team.

He can be a guy that makes the difference between your 3rd and long. Not to mention, when we're in passing mode he's a guy you can move around--

T.O. plays the slot... they do motions to the backfield. I think we agree on the player. It just depends on how creative you want to get with the offense.
And I think Garrett brings it this year.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Chief;2178314 said:
I would hate to see the Cowboys give up too soon on Marten.

Offensive linemen take time to develop and Dallas has been guilty of giving up too soon on guys.

But if he's just dreadful, that's another story.

I think you're right. No off field issues here. He'll bet his three years unless he's bad and someone else is way good.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;2178042 said:
1. CB Alan Ball
2. OL James Marten
3. RB Alonzo Coleman
4. QB Richard Bartel
5. CB Quincy Butler
1. Yep
2. Nope
3. Yep
4. Yep
5. Yep

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
stasheroo;2178269 said:
If it's 9, I think Marten gets the axe.

I've at least read some positive comments made about Berger and Procter is the only qualified backup center as far as I know.

I haven't see any good news about Marten other than he 'held his own' during a few drills.

Not exactly a 'glowing review'.

Hate to do it to a young third-rounder, but I think so, too.

Normally, you'd give him time to develop, but not at the cost of another player who may be showing more signs of developing. And OL do typically improve in their second training camp, after they've had a year to work in a full time weight program and had a year to practice their technique. Obviously, that process can take longer than a year, but if you've got other guys on the team that can play multiple line positions and are further along in the developmental curve, you can't let those guys go just because this guy was a 3rd rounder at one point.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Idgit;2178643 said:

Normally, you'd give him time to develop, but not at the cost of another player who may be showing more signs of developing. And OL do typically improve in their second training camp, after they've had a year to work in a full time weight program and had a year to practice their technique. Obviously, that process can take longer than a year, but if you've got other guys on the team that can play multiple line positions and are further along in the developmental curve, you can't let those guys go just because this guy was a 3rd rounder at one point.
There was a report earlier today that said he was improving. In any case, you don't cut a 3rd round pick after one year. He stays.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
big dog cowboy;2178652 said:
There was a report earlier today that said he was improving. In any case, you don't cut a 3rd round pick after one year. He stays.

You do if he's behind two other backup guards and two other backup tackles and not showing the signs you'd like to see in a developing player and you need the roster spot because of excellent scouting for the other position groups on an already deep team.

Not that that's the case here, but it's not like mid-round picks don't occasionally get cut.

What was the positive press on Marten, btw? I'm glad to hear it, b/c everything I'd read this year and last was that he had yet to show much.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
Ben_n_austin;2178367 said:
I'm not sure. It's hard to see us keeping Austin, in my opinion.
You have to be kidding, right? At the rate Austin is going, he may pass Hurd for the #3 wr spot. He's on the team. period.

I don't know what Rick Herrin's problem is with Marten, but he keeps talking about him being cut. Even if he's been disappointing, I just can't see them cutting him. I have to think they will give a 3rd round pick another year to develop, especially an o-lineman.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
parcells316;2190674 said:
You have to be kidding, right? At the rate Austin is going, he may pass Hurd for the #3 wr spot. He's on the team. period.

I don't know what Rick Herrin's problem is with Marten, but he keeps talking about him being cut. Even if he's been disappointing, I just can't see them cutting him. I have to think they will give a 3rd round pick another year to develop, especially an o-lineman.

Part of the mistake of drafting poorly is failure to admit you made a mistake.

Keeping a mediocre to poor player over a good one simply because you drafted him makes the original mistake worse, not better.

Marten hasn't shown much since they drafted him.

And he's already switched positions because he couldn't handle playing tackle.

I haven't heard any good reports about him during camp and he played poorly against San Diego.

All of these things add up to him not sticking around in my book.

I'm hoping the team starts looking at the free agent market and waiver wire for offensive line depth because it looks like they have little at this point.

AtlCB

Reaction score
nyc;2178228 said:
Dumb. Not happening. Cowboys will keep 10 oline (basically a backup for each position)

1. Bigg Davis
  2. Andre Gurode
  3. Mark Columbo
  4. Kyle Koiser
  5. Flozell Adams
  6. Cory Proctor
  7. Doug Free
  8. James Marten
  9. Pat McQuistan
  10. Joe Berger
Why would the Cowboys keep 10? Most of our backup offensive linemen can ineffectively play more than one position.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AtlCB;2190720 said:
Why would the Cowboys keep 10? Most of our backup offensive linemen can ineffectively play more than one position.

:lmao:

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
Why is Stanback making the team a foregone conclusion? I understand he's fast and has a cool tattoo but I don't think he has as much receiving skills as Hurd, Austin or even Amendola. No agenda here I'm just curious why Stan gets a pass?

aikemirv

Reaction score
Tass;2190742 said:
Why is Stanback making the team a foregone conclusion? I understand he's fast and has a cool tattoo but I don't think he has as much receiving skills as Hurd, Austin or even Amendola. No agenda here I'm just curious why Stan gets a pass?

Because he is a 4th rd pick who was injured last year and the coaches have said that he has made a lot of progress over the offseason.

Angus

Reaction score
stasheroo;2178304 said:
I would rather do that than to compound the error by letting go of someone who can play.

You would have gotten rid of Miles Austin last year, too, I expect. Sometimes patience pays.

:star:

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Idgit;2178643 said:

I can honestly say I've never heard one positive comment on Marten. Laufenberg said last year that he was easily our worst rookie, and he doesn't seem to have improved much this year.

If you're pretty positive that he can't play and won't be able to, I'd get rid of him now while he still has a little value. Wonder if Sparanocells would want him? Have to think the OL coach last year had a little input into the pick, and hey, he did go to Boston College. ;)

Angus

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2178396 said:
First off who says that Moore is going to be anything special in the NFL?

Secondly the team was not going to go into last season with Moore as the #2-- no way Jose.

Thirdly, you don't often see unproven, undrafted, 3rd string QB's making the final 53, unless the team is horrid. Heck, Romo was on the practice squad if I recall.

Romo wasn't on the practice squad, Winicki. and there would have been plenty of room for Moore if the disabled WR had been told goodbye.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Angus;2190894 said:
You would have gotten rid of Miles Austin last year, too, I expect. Sometimes patience pays.

Austin contributed something, as a kick returner and developmental receiver.

I haven't read, seen, or heard of Marten contributing anything.

I remember the 'patience' line with regard to Rogers and Peterman too.

That didn't pay off either.

There's definitely a balance between 'waiting too long' and 'giving up too soon'.