FWST Blog: Witten: Romo is a leader

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;3919267 said:
Leader in what context?

According to the American military of the last century?

According to American corporate business of the last 40 years?

How about according to American politics in the 18th century? nineteenth century?

Leadership according to the Platonic ideal?

Leadership according to Asian culture of the middle of the first millennium?

Leadership according to Machiavelli?

What of Marx's concept of a leader?

This notion that leadership is a true or false concept is a bad one.
That was just flat out good.

I have said for a month now too many people think a leader is nothing but a piece of fishing gear.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;3919193 said:
I am questioning why a past team in a past season that failed to do something is still looked at as capable of doing it? Didn’t they prove they were not capable? Being capable of something has to include both physical and mental aspects.

Back to my original point about Ryan that you questioned. I believe Rex will be able to bring a physical and mental toughness that the ’07 and ’09 defenses lacked.

Actually we are in agreement over Ryan. I have stated before, i thought he would bring a toughness and energy to this D that we have been sorely missing for years now.

As to the other point.. just because a team failed to accomplish a goal, does not mean they weren't capable of accomplishing that goal.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;3919426 said:
Actually we are in agreement over Ryan. I have stated before, i thought he would bring a toughness and energy to this D that we have been sorely missing for years now.

As to the other point.. just because a team failed to accomplish a goal, does not mean they weren't capable of accomplishing that goal.

Maybe my interpretation of the word might be different. My wife don’t agree with me so i must be wrong. At least it kept me busy from having to talk to family, lol.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;3919453 said:
Maybe my interpretation of the word might be different. My wife don’t agree with me so i must be wrong. At least it kept me busy from having to talk to family, lol.

:D

I just got back from our family gathering about an hour ago.. i know what you mean. Ha.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;3919380 said:
The Cowboys also lost to the Patriots in the regular season. That’s who they would have faced in the Super Bowl.

The Cowboys lost to the Pats early that season when NE was mowing down everyone. The first 8 weeks of that season the Pats never scored fewer than 34 points. I've never seen a more dominant NFL team than they were through the first 11 weeks of the 07 season.

They were playing their absolute best football when they came to Texas Stadium not so when the Giants met up with them in the season finale and SB. NE wasn't close to the same team that played the Cowboys in week 6.

What i am finding odd is you are implying that the regular season holds just as much value as the post season. If that is the case, why are you very critical of Romo’s post season failures while negating his regular season success?

The regular season does hold a lot of value for obvious reasons especially in Dec when the money games arrive that's where I've been very critical of Romo. Research my posts and refresh your memory. His poor Dec performances have carried over into Jan.

I thought the analogy worked ok to make a point.

Maybe in your eyes it did be it's obvious from this discussion that we see things very differently.

I agree. Never made that claim.

Fine but you still haven't answered my questions.

The flip side is to say you failed at something you've never accomplished before therefore you are capable?

Capable means talented, gifted and skilled if a team has all three they're capable.

There's some things we're all capable of and there's other things we're not it's pretty simple. Not everyone is capable of playing in the NFL but the ones who are capable have the chance to be as great as they want to be a lot of it comes down to what's beating inside their chest.

Yes. Once you get to that level. The Cowboys are capable of winning a playoff game. We know that now.

So in your eyes unless a team has won a SB you don't have enough insight to gage whether they're "capable" of winning one?

You didn't see enough of the Packers and Rodgers to know they were capable of winning a SB? A lot of fans including me sure did and that was before the season ever started.

Potential is a word i would be ok with using. ‘09 Cowboys team had the potential to win the Super Bowl.

Why would you be okay with the word "potential" when it means capability? :laugh2:

Packers had the potential and then later proved they were very much capable.

Whatever! :rolleyes:

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
KJJ;3919461 said:
Capable means talented, gifted and skilled if a team has all three they're capable.

incapable means unable to do or achieve (something).

There's some things we're all capable of and there's other things we're not it's pretty simple. Not everyone is capable of playing in the NFL but the ones who are capable have the chance to be as great as they want to be a lot of it comes down to what's beating inside their chest.

I am pretty sure it’s a heart. ;)

Why would you be okay with the word "potential" when it means capability? :laugh2:

I am ok with both the use of potential and capability.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;3919475 said:
incapable means unable to do or achieve (something).

You seem to think for a team to be considered capable they've had to already done it. That's the impression you've given.

I am pretty sure it’s a heart. ;)

If that's your attempt at matching wits you just failed worse than that hiker who was 1/4 the way up Mt Everest. :laugh2:

I am ok with both the use of potential and capability.

Capability is the quality of being capable. You've taken a turn down a dark lonely road my friend. LOL

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
KJJ;3919489 said:
You seem to think for a team to be considered capable they've had to already done it. That's the impression you've given.

No, i have explained it already, would just be repeating myself.

If that's your attempt at matching wits you just failed worse than that hiker who was 1/4 the way up Mt Everest. :laugh2:

No just got bored with the conversation.

Capability is the quality of being capable. You've taken a turn down a dark lonely road my friend. LOL

Actually i am going to take a turn to my bed, lol.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;3919496 said:
No, i have explained it already, would just be repeating myself.

You haven't explained it very well but like you said in a previous post maybe your interpretation of the word might be different. It definitely is!

No just got bored with the conversation.

I'm bored stiff with the conversation but am still rattling off a few zingers. lol

Actually i am going to take a turn to my bed, lol.

Well hopefully you have high-thread count sheets so you wake up refreshed tomorrow and think this discussion was all just a bad dream. :)