FWST Blog: Witten: Romo is a leader

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
birdwells1;3918492 said:
So the monkey should be off? So if romo never goes any farther the would you label his career a success? If your answer is yes the I say my how the mighty have fallen. If the answer is no then you agree that the pressure is still on him. If this team would have went to the nfc championship led by romo then it may have been different but since we regressed the monkeys back.

The no playoff win monkey came off. I think Romo is an over-achiever. I think just playing in the NFL is a success for him. I believe he can win a Super Bowl but not by himself. He needs a dominating smothering defense just like the Packers and Steelers have had. I believe that will be possible this season. I am a complete and utter Ryan homer.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;3918522 said:
The no playoff win monkey came off. I think Romo is an over-achiever. I think just playing in the NFL is a success for him. I believe he can win a Super Bowl but not by himself. He needs a dominating smothering defense just like the Packers and Steelers have had. I believe that will be possible this season. I am a complete and utter Ryan homer.

That makes two of us on Ryan. If Romo is still of the idea that he is "just happy to be here" then that attitude won't get us to where we want to be. He needs to talk ahold of that locker room like he belongs, the few players that disrespect then he should deal with them. When T.O. was chirping Romo shouldn't have taken the high road he should have called him out and sent a message to the rest of the team that he's no pushover.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
birdwells1;3918552 said:
That makes two of us on Ryan. If Romo is still of the idea that he is "just happy to be here" then that attitude won't get us to where we want to be. He needs to talk ahold of that locker room like he belongs, the few players that disrespect then he should deal with them. When T.O. was chirping Romo shouldn't have taken the high road he should have called him out and sent a message to the rest of the team that he's no pushover.

I do agree. I love the Brady tantrums. I like quarterbacks that yell at players for mistakes. But i try to allow myself to understand that not everyone is built the same way. I do believe Romo is a leader. Might be in a little different style than i am biased to. I mean Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are not my cookie cutter type coaches. In the end it’s all about results. Romo needs to win. I think he will continue to progress forward.

The Emperor

Marcus Aurelius Maximus
Reaction score
Primetime42;3918468 said:
Can someone just ban him and get it overwith?

For what? I'll agree that he's a vexatious heretic whose loyalties are so complex that they make him appear a quisling prima facie, but he has not broken any rules to my knowledge.

Let him stick around. It's nice to have another pinata that's not named KJJ or whatever.

jswalker1981

Fact > Your Opinion
Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;3918572 said:
I do agree. I love the Brady tantrums. I like quarterbacks that yell at players for mistakes. But i try to allow myself to understand that not everyone is built the same way. I do believe Romo is a leader. Might be in a little different style than i am biased to. I mean Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are not my cookie cutter type coaches. In the end it’s all about results. Romo needs to win. I think he will continue to progress forward.

Exactly. Some people like the fiery personalities, but not everyone has to lead that way to get results.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;3918522 said:

We had the 2nd best D in the NFL in '09. Only were allowing 15 ppg.

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;3918646 said:

And the Cowboys did well that year. Nobody is saying he has never had a good D. Of course, that D did not create turnovers like the best defenses do (which is a much more important stat). There is a difference between that '09 D and the turnover-creating defenses that we see dominate the playoffs year after year. The Cowboys lost in the playoffs because of the O-line. The defense DID NOT play like a top D against Favre that day. We all saw that Romo had no chance in that game. You make this same statement in every "Romo leader" thread as if Romo failed despite having a top D when, anyone who watched the game, knows what really happened. If you don't see that Romo has been a huge reason why this team has been competitive in recent years then you just don't know the game. Those defensive scoring stats may help to show why we went to the divisional round of the playoffs, but mean nothing when it comes to why we lost that particular game.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BIGDen;3918684 said:
The Cowboys lost in the playoffs because of the O-line...

We all saw that Romo had no chance in that game.
uh uh.

Nope.

No way.

There is no "we" or "all" which can be truthfully applied here.

I have read WAY too often where some have stated that the quarterback pressure applied by the Minnesota Vikings defensive front was of little or no consequence during the game. And while I can honestly say, that I still to this day, do not know what the hell kind of game some were watching, it is been stated over and over ad nauseum on this forum.

The phrase "we all saw" should be accepted as true??? Sorry, BIGDen. You saw it. I saw it. Tons of fans both inside and outside of cowboyszone saw it, but "everybody"???

Well, I have some Nebraska ocean beachfront property to sell anyone who believes that even a little.

/rant

JVita17

Benched
Reaction score
Romo doesn't act or carry himself as a leader what so ever but the golf arguement is ********. This guy has to have a life and golf is a love of his. Let the guy play atleast he isn't doing anything stupid or illegal plus it's not ljke his heart is in leading the Cowboys anyway.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
BIGDen;3918684 said:
And the Cowboys did well that year. Nobody is saying he has never had a good D. Of course, that D did not create turnovers like the best defenses do (which is a much more important stat). There is a difference between that '09 D and the turnover-creating defenses that we see dominate the playoffs year after year. The Cowboys lost in the playoffs because of the O-line. The defense DID NOT play like a top D against Favre that day. We all saw that Romo had no chance in that game. You make this same statement in every "Romo leader" thread as if Romo failed despite having a top D when, anyone who watched the game, knows what really happened. If you don't see that Romo has been a huge reason why this team has been competitive in recent years then you just don't know the game. Those defensive scoring stats may help to show why we went to the divisional round of the playoffs, but mean nothing when it comes to why we lost that particular game.

The Cowboys lost that game because as a team.. they imploded. They didn't lose it because of the OL. When you get beat 34 to 3.. its clearly more than one unit that let you down. Everyone from the defense to Romo himself shares blame for that.

No one's saying Romo isn't a very good QB.. i just tire of hearing the argument that he's never had any help, or never had a good enough team around him capable olf winning a super bowl because that is simply bull.

The Emperor

Marcus Aurelius Maximus
Reaction score
JVita17;3918725 said:
Romo doesn't act or carry himself as a leader what so ever but the golf arguement is ********. This guy has to have a life and golf is a love of his. Let the guy play atleast he isn't doing anything stupid or illegal plus it's not ljke his heart is in leading the Cowboys anyway.

Maybe they would be happier if he gave to underage girls in bathroom stalls?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
JVita17;3918725 said:
[URL="http://classic-tv.com/shows/twilightzone/cast.jpg"] [/URL]
"Eh? Don't look at me. It's not from my show. Better go check The Outer Limits."​

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The Emperor;3918603 said:
Let him stick around. It's nice to have another pinata that's not named KJJ or whatever.

Something about you gives me a Village People flashback.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
JVita17;3918725 said:
Romo doesn't act or carry himself as a leader what so ever but the golf arguement is ********.

You got that right. A lot of fans knock his golf because he takes it seriously trying to qualify for the US Open and he even attempted to qualify for the Byron Nelson PGA tour event held in the Dallas area.

It's attempting to qualify for these professional tournaments that has some fans thinking he puts more time into his golf than football. Some think he'd rather be on the PGA tour than in the NFL.

Some think he's suppose to practice football 24/7 365 days a year and have no other outside interests during his free time or he's not dedicated. :rolleyes:

I got news for some of these fans who make such a big stink about Romo's golf there's players out there who play as much golf as he does but you never hear about it because they don't make news attempting to qualify for PGA tour events.

Like I mentioned earlier before Romo's leadership was ever questioned his dedication to football was under scrutiny.

It all started when he was a judge at a Miss Universe Pageant in Mexico during the offseason in 07 then he took off to Cabo later that season with Jessica Simpson a week before a playoff game then his golf started making news.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;3918646 said:

i just tire of hearing the argument that he's never had any help, or never had a good enough team around him capable olf winning a super bowl because that is simply bull.

I didn’t say he never had help in the past.

The ’09 defense was a big reason for the last season turnaround. Although, they did get exposed in the divisional game.

Also, how do you know they were capable of winning a Super Bowl if they were not able to?

Anjinsan

Benched
Reaction score
KJJ;3919005 said:
You got that right. A lot of fans knock his golf because he takes it seriously trying to qualify for the US Open and he even attempted to qualify for the Byron Nelson PGA tour event held in the Dallas area.

It's attempting to qualify for these professional tournaments that has some fans thinking he puts more time into his golf than football. Some think he'd rather be on the PGA tour than in the NFL.

Some think he's suppose to practice football 24/7 365 days a year and have no other outside interests during his free time or he's not dedicated. :rolleyes:

I got news for some of these fans who make such a big stink about Romo's golf there's players out there who play as much golf as he does but you never hear about it because they don't make news attempting to qualify for PGA tour events.

Like I mentioned earlier before Romo's leadership was ever questioned his dedication to football was under scrutiny.

It all started when he was a judge at a Miss Universe Pageant in Mexico during the offseason in 07 then he took off to Cabo later that season with Jessica Simpson a week before a playoff game then his golf started making news.

Fans != Football experts so who cares what they think.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Anjinsan;3919097 said:
Fans != Football experts so who cares what they think.

You certainly don't because you're biased you've made that perfectly clear. Fan's/experts point to the same things but fans like you scoff acting like none of the criticism exists despite all the articles and posts to the contrary.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;3919093 said:
I didn’t say he never had help in the past.

The ’09 defense was a big reason for the last season turnaround. Although, they did get exposed in the divisional game.

Also, how do you know they were capable of winning a Super Bowl if they were not able to?

I believe any solid team who makes it to the postseason is capable of winning the super bowl. You don't have to be the best team on paper, because we've seen enough times the underdog team go on to win the Super Bowl. Anything can happen once you make the postseason. So yes, i do believe our '07 and '09 teams were plenty capable of winning a super bowl. Things just have to come together at the right time and they haven't for us yet.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;3919125 said:
I believe any solid team who makes it to the postseason is capable of winning the super bowl. You don't have to be the best team on paper, because we've seen enough times the underdog team go on to win the Super Bowl. Anything can happen once you make the postseason. So yes, i do believe our '07 and '09 teams were plenty capable of winning a super bowl. Things just have to come together at the right time and they haven't for us yet.

Every playoff team has the opportunity to win a Super Bowl, but not all are capable of it. You have to prove you can do something first to know if you are capable of it. To say the ’09 team was capable of winning a Super Bowl is speculation.