FWST: Jerry says he's bringing Pacman back in 2009

joseephuss

Reaction score
I don't think there is anything wrong with Jerry announcing this publicly at this point. It is no surprise to me. If Jerry really did not want Pacman back he would have cut him by now. There is no sense in waiting for the off season. It really doesn't change things. There is always the chance that Pacman gets in trouble and Jerry has no choice to let him go.

Jerry may be helping Pacman with this announcement because it shows that Jerry trusts him. That trust may be missplaced, but it may encourage Pac to work hard. If Pacman still fails, Jerry can at least claim that he did what he could for Pacman and any failure will be all on Pacman.

I think the odds are good that Pacman gets in trouble again. I think those odds get better if Dallas goes on to win the Superbowl. They increase more if Pacman gets out there and contributes to a SB win. Can you imagine how full of himself he would be if he pulled a Larry Brown in a SB win? I don't think Pacman could handle that kind of success.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
theogt;2504097 said:
I don't see why not. He's about as cheap as it gets and is a starter when he's playing, so it makes sense.

Also... the only ones writing Pacman off after one season were the fans and the media.

Jerry CLEARLY wants to see this "resurrection" project through.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
chinch;2504220 said:
Here is another example why Jerry is such a bad GM.

He just wants to be friends & enable these players.

Even if Jerrry WAS set on bringing him in, WHY ADVERTISE THAT publically?

let this guy PROVE HIMSELF ON AND OFF THE FIELD before handing him yet another christmas bonus in July. Let PacMan sweat it out, work, grind THEN get rewarded.

he'll never learn & needs too badly to be the players best friend.

If you know anything about managing people you should know how to motivate them in a positive way. Letting PacMan feel like he is just out there swinging in the wind and not knowing whether he will be brought back or not doesn't give him the "carrot at the end of the stick" he needs to do his best to stay out of trouble. In his mind, the reward would be uncertain even if he's a model citizen.

On the other hand, if you let him know in advance that if he keeps it together he has a job waiting for him, he has every incentive to keep his nose clean. It's like a son asking his father if he can borrow the car. If the father says "Wash the car and mow the lawn and then MAYBE we'll talk about it" the son might not be sure whether he wants to put out all that effort and maybe still not get to borrow the car. But if the father says "You can borrow the car if you wash it and mow the lawn", that's a different story.

I agree with the poster above who gives him maybe a 40% chance of staying out of trouble anyway. I also agree it's a no brainer to bring him back if he hasn't got himself suspended in the off-season. You get a very good CB at a very cheap rate. Just don't ever trade any of your other good CBs thinking you can rely on PacMan to always be there when you need him.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
dmq;2504112 said:
Does this all mean Roy is gone?
I think there is an 80% chance SS Roy Williams is back next year. In all fairness to Roy, he didn't have much of a chance to really show anything in what was supposed to be his "coming out resurgence" year. He was solid statistically last year and was supposed to turn back into the old-young Roy, causing havoc all over the line of scrimmage. I think Jerry Jones wants to see him retire as a Cowboy and Wade still sees a use for him in this defense. Wade seems to be getting a lot out of some players that were left for dead like Spears, Canty, and James. He might be able to do the same for Roy.

On the other hand, in the games that he did play in this year, he didn't show much. Also, this defense seams to be playing a lot better now that Roy is not on the field. It could just be that the defense is finally coming around now that Wade is calling the shots, or it could be that the defense is starting to come into its own without having to worry about helping Roy out in coverage.

I think Jerry may dangle the possibility of trading Roy during the off-season and listen to them, but in the end, will ultimately bring him back, perhaps at a restructured lower contract deal.

If he does return, he will probably see the field as a run stopper in short yardage situations while Henry, if he returns, will obviously be in on passing downs.

YoMick;2504648 said:
Also... the only ones writing Pacman off after one season were the fans and the media.

Jerry CLEARLY wants to see this "resurrection" project through.

So do I. If he can stay clean with his off the field issues and continue to return to his elite status, we have a steal...plus we already have a one-up on the Titans deal because we got the 4th rounder back and still have Pacman. So I really don't see the benefit for those hoping that Pacman fails because that would mean that the Cowboys organization failed, and no fan should root for failure.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
jdub2k4;2504840 said:
So do I. If he can stay clean with his off the field issues and continue to return to his elite status, we have a steal...plus we already have a one-up on the Titans deal because we got the 4th rounder back and still have Pacman. So I really don't see the benefit for those hoping that Pacman fails because that would mean that the Cowboys organization failed, and no fan should root for failure.

I remember something Johnny Cochran said when they asked about OJ after he beat the rap.

They asked what do you wish for OJ? or something like that?

Cochran replies "I wish him sense"

Thats what I wish for Pacman.
(disclaimer: I am only refering to what Johnny said... I am not making comparisons)

With that said... until he shows me otherwise... I dont see him either making it to 2009 OR making it through 2009.

Mr.davon24

PGH Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
I think with the luck Adam has been having you wont be hearing nothing but good news about him.

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;2504084 said:
Despite all the distractions/headaches he has caused this season, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is committed to having Pacman Jones with the team in 2009. Not really surprising considering Jerry welcomed him back after the suspension. Pacman has a four-year contract with the Cowboys that includes no guaranteed money.

If he stays out of trouble and finishes the season strong, the Cowboys might start working him in as a starter in the offseason for Anthony Henry. The bets are that the Cowboys begin to shift Henry to full-time safety at some point. Even Henry expects this at some point.

Here's Jerry when asked Wednesday if he expects Pacman back next year....

"I do. Yes. Yes, I do. He's a good player. He's a hard worker. He's certainly addressing any league issues and you put all that in the thought process and I see him back."

- Rick Herrin

I think Scandrick and Jenkins might have something to say about who starts. Scandrick is looking real good covering the slot.

Pacman looks pretty spotty the few times he has played.

Cowboys2008

Reaction score
Good! As long as he can stay on the field. However, he is on borrowed time. Though I'm all for him putting it together and becoming someone special like we all know he's capable of.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
FLcowboy;2505054 said:
I think Scandrick and Jenkins might have something to say about who starts. Scandrick is looking real good covering the slot.

Pacman looks pretty spotty the few times he has played.

I agree and have been very impressed by how Scandrick is coming along.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;2504873 said:
Pacman Jones will be a Cowboy in 2009, gee what a shock...:rolleyes:
I hope you were sitting down when you read that. Wouldn't want you to faint or anything. The shock and all.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Jerry,

Sanford_Son_t-shirt_dum_lin.jpg

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
LeonDixson;2504756 said:
If you know anything about managing people you should know how to motivate them in a positive way. Letting PacMan feel like he is just out there swinging in the wind and not knowing whether he will be brought back or not doesn't give him the "carrot at the end of the stick" he needs to do his best to stay out of trouble. In his mind, the reward would be uncertain even if he's a model citizen.
Yeah, cause we know that nothing incident (which he was suspended for) was prevented by the positive motivation and jerry's great managment of people.

Get real.

This isn't about management of a person. I didn't say he couldn't have a PRIVATE conversation with PacMan and lay out some terms for his continued employment next year. Carrot. Its the IDIOTIC way jerruh over and over and over handles himself.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I can't understand why people are shocked by this. If we planned to get rid of him it would have been after his suspension.

He is an immense talent. This isn't Kareem Larimore or Derek Ross. Jones may end up worth the headache. And honestly, if he plays in coverage like he did in Pit with regularity, then we all should be very pleased he is here.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2505629 said:
I can't understand why people are shocked by this. If we planned to get rid of him it would have been after his suspension.

He is an immense talent. This isn't Kareem Larimore or Derek Ross. Jones may end up worth the headache. And honestly, if he plays in coverage like he did in Pit with regularity, then we all should be very pleased he is here.

You are right if Jerry wanted him gone he would be gone. I will say as long as he is with the team yes I want him to make plays but at the end of the day I don't care if he plays or not I'm just tired of the guy and players like him.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Face it.

The (Pac)man needs some money.

He is almost flat broke.

If he can still play, Jerry will pay.

silver

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2505629 said:

I don't know about inmense. He's OK. This year's version is OK, not inmense IMHO. Maybe next year he'll get back to his inmense status.