Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Posted on Sun, Feb. 19, 2006
Changing sides

For Cowboys, offense likely the next step

By MAC ENGEL

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

The fact is so obscure that the holder of the distinction didn't know it, or care. But it's been so long since the Cowboys drafted an offensive player in the first round few people can remember whom they actually selected. Or when.

Back in 1997, the Cowboys used the 22nd overall pick to select LSU tight end David LaFleur.

"I didn't know I had that distinction," said LaFleur, who has his own business in Lake Charles, La.

Since LaFleur, who was supposedly the second coming of Jay Novacek, the Cowboys have been all about defense, all the time.

But it wasn't until this season that the concentration on defense finally paid off. Roy Williams, Terence Newman, DeMarcus Ware, Marcus Spears, Chris Canty and Bradie James appear to be the core of a solid defense for years to come. Now it appears this off-season might be the time for the Cowboys to go on the offensive.

Although the 18th overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, which is the Cowboys' selection, might not result in the "next big thing," the feeling is the Cowboys have to upgrade their offense before thinking they can challenge for another Super Bowl.

"That's the only way they are going to get over the hump," former Cowboys running back Emmitt Smith said.

The hump has become a mountain.

The Cowboys haven't ranked in the top 10 in the NFL in total offense since 1998 and haven't had a 1,000-yard rusher since Smith in 2001. This past season was the first since '99 in which their passing game accounted for more touchdowns than interceptions.

This is not the result of some defensive-minded conspiracy. The Cowboys packaged a pair of No. 1 draft picks for then-Seahawks receiver Joey Galloway, but that deal netted little to nothing.

And of the 72 picks the Cowboys have used since the '97 draft, 35 have been for offensive players. The problem is, most of them were busts.
The list includes players such as LaFleur, Solomon Page, Quincy Carter, Antonio Bryant and the most recent disappointment, offensive tackle Jacob Rogers. Offensive linemen such as Andre Gurode and Al Johnson, both second-round picks, have danced between good, disappointing, OK and average. Among all of these picks there has been no second coming of Michael Irvin. Or Smith. Or Troy Aikman.

Most NFL observers, such as Aikman -- who said the Cowboys "are a player or two away from being where they need to be on the offensive side of the ball" -- believe Drew Bledsoe is fine at quarterback. Running back Julius Jones, should he stay healthy, will be a perennial 1,000-yard rusher.

Backup running back Marion Barber is valuable. Tight end Jason Witten is a Pro Bowl performer.

"They better get an offensive line, and they better get it quick," Smith said. "The quicker they get it, they will go back to being in the playoffs and being very, very successful."

Even coach Bill Parcells said, only days before the season ended, "I think if we do a better job of protecting [Bledsoe], he will play better."

The healthy return of Flozell Adams (knee) to left tackle will help. Beyond that, however, expect a major O-line reshuffle this off-season. Expect the Cowboys to pursue a wide receiver and maybe take another crack at finding a future No. 1 playmaker. Maybe Santonio Holmes of Ohio State.

"There are some high-impact players early in the draft," NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock said. "The problem is, where they are picking, the really good players aren't matching up with the Cowboys."

Which still probably won't prevent the Cowboys from going on the offensive this off-season.

dallascowboys.com
IN THE KNOW

One-sided approach

The Cowboys haven't selected an offensive player in the first round of the NFL Draft since tight end David LaFleur, below, of LSU in 1997. Their first-round picks the last 10 years:

Year Pos., player Pick
'05 LB DeMarcus Ware 11
DE Marcus Spears 20
'04 No first-round pick -
'03 CB Terence Newman 5
'02 S Roy Williams 8
'01 No first-round pick -
'00 No first-round pick -
'99 DE Ebenezer Ekuban 20
'98 DE Greg Ellis 8
'97 TE David LaFleur 22
'96 No first-round pick -
2006 NFL Draft
April 29-30, New York

First round
1. Houston
2. New Orleans
3. Tennessee
4. N.Y. Jets
5. Green Bay
6. Oakland*
7. San Francisco*
8. Buffalo
9. Detroit
10. Arizona
11. St. Louis
12. Cleveland
13. Baltimore
14. Philadelphia
15. Atlanta
16. Miami
17. Minnesota
18. Dallas
19. San Diego
20. Kansas City
21. New England
22. Washington
23. Tampa Bay
24. Cincinnati
25. N.Y Giants
26. Chicago
27. Carolina
28. Jacksonville
29. Denver
30. Indianapolis
31. Seattle
32. Pittsburgh
* subject to coin flip
Mac Engel, (817) 390-7760 tengel@star-telegram.com

lkelly

Reaction score
Spot on article. Every year the Dallas offense goes into a slump where they score 13-17 points. They won't advance far under those circumstances.

ghst187

Reaction score
I agree with the premise, but what offensive player is worth the 18 pick? Big MAYBE Santonio Holmes or Chad Jackson. I suspect they'll both be gone by then. There are some RBs that are worth the pick: Maroney and Williams but we don't exactly need a RB. What OL is going to be there that is worth the pick? Ferguson will be LONG gone. The other top T's have question marks from either injury or technique. McNeil is a guy some people talk about but I think he has back injury issues and I hear he didn't perform well recently against some of the better DEs. Probably a VERY late first rounder if at all.
There are some stud G's in the draft, but who drafts a G in the first round? Would be dumb because you can get them in the second and third, esp since they are so plentiful this year....Jean-Gilles, Davin Joseph, etc.
Mangold is a guy I like at C, but I'm not convinced BP/JJ are looking to upgrade at C.
Meanwhile we still need a LB and FS on defense in a bad way...both positions should have quality players still available at 18 that are worthy of a pick, or closer to it.
I think the most prevalent need based on where we draft and the players likely available is the need to make a trade with the 18 pick, and probably move down at least 3-6 picks.

Hailmary

Reaction score
A lot of people like to criticize LaFleur being picked in the first, but I liked the pick and think that he could have had a solid career had he been able to stay healthy. And hoping he'd be the second coming of Novachek is foolish...his body was built for different skills.

And we better upgrade the WR position this offseason. If Glenn goes down, we're toast. No one on our current roster can stretch the D like he can. If he goes down, it'll not only hurt our WR position, but also our running game. They should have taken into consideration the age of our receivers and it's something they should have addressed a couple of seasons ago.

Chad Jackson in the 2nd if he's still there.

Hailmary

Reaction score
ghst187 said:
I think the most prevalent need based on where we draft and the players likely available is the need to make a trade with the 18 pick, and probably move down at least 3-6 picks.

That's what I'd do.

Woods

Reaction score
Hailmary said:
That's what I'd do.

Lower in the first round would make more sense to take a player like Holmes, C. Jackson, or Gilles, for example.

If we can't find a trade partner at 18 and are stuck, I think I'd still prefer Carpenter at LB.

The one exception would be the TE from Maryland. I think we could use him as a TE, H-back (similar to Cooley), etc. He could pose multiple problems for defensive co-ordinators. I read he runs sub 4.5 40 as well. But I doubt he slips to 18 . . . .

notherbob

Reaction score
I think OL help will come via FA. We still don't know whether Columbo will recover well enough to play good and even if he is healthy, it's gonna take him a little while to get used to all the contact in the pit. Still, if he clicks, it could be very good for a quite a few years.

This off-season is just getting better all the time.

Mansta54

Reaction score
Oline has to be TOP PRIORITY. Without solid blocking our run and passing game will be terrible again this year. We have 2 very good RB's and a QB that can make things happen but without blocking, they are handcuffed. It's simple, IT ALL STARTS UP FRONT.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Hailmary said:
That's what I'd do.

Ditto. Although in the absence of a willing partner, defense is probably a better value at that slot. As Parcell's says, we're in the talent acquisition business, and the goal is to have the best talent whereve they play. We can always address offense in later rounds, via free agency, and, of course, next year's draft which will probably be deeper in the positions we covet.

CowboyManDan

Reaction score
I think the first 3 rounds should be some order of OL (preferrly OT, otherwise maybe OG), ILB, and WR.

Offensive line has to be fixed. How bout grabbing a guy both in the draft (1st 3 rnds) and FA.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
We'll be picking Carpenter at #18.

Luckily Miki is not drafting for us!!!!!
You can trade way down and get Carpenter/value like that at OLB.

BPA - and it's not Carpenter at #18.......

In offseason we need to upgrade Oline (obviously) and get Bledsoe another young offensive traget to throw to and I'll leave it at that.

Have a sparkling day!

The Curly One

Reaction score
O line should have been top priority for the last 6 years. Many have blamed Quincy Carter, Hutchinson, Henson, Vinny, Bledsoe and even Aikman for the sacks but the fact is our offensive line has been terrible at best for many years.
You can NOT win if you can not protect your Qb no matter how mobile he is.

I do not know what the answer is now. It takes several years before a rookie offensive (or defensive) lineman can be dominant if they have what it takes at all. If we use our first round draft pick on an offensive lineman we will not get much if any production from him next season so in effect it is a wasted draft pick but MAY pay off in later years. Problem is we need help now. The really good lineman are just not going to be available in free agency.
I think if we had a good offensive line right now we would have gone deep in the playoffs and Bledsoe would look like one of the greatest Qb's of all time. Did not happen last year and will not next year. Curly

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nors said:

In offseason we need to upgrade Oline (obviously) and get Bledsoe another young offensive traget to throw to and I'll leave it at that.

Have a sparkling day!

We won't be drafting an OL in round 1.

Hailmary

Reaction score
Nors said:

Have a sparkling day!

It's early to say where Carpenter will go pre-combine.
As of right now, I say he's early 2nd, but that could change w/ an outstanding 40 or bench.

Since we're picking in the middle and it's not a strong draft for what our needs are, I say best scenario would be to try to trade down and fill as many holes as possible. Not so much about finding an impact player, but creating much needed depth. A late first, a second and recovering our third would be a good first day IMO.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
CowboyManDan said:
I think the first 3 rounds should be some order of OL (preferrly OT, otherwise maybe OG), ILB, and WR.

Offensive line has to be fixed. How bout grabbing a guy both in the draft (1st 3 rnds) and FA.

You nailed it..it is a both/and not an either/or..we need a veteran to play RT now..then groom a new draft pick whether RT or LT. Same with guard if necessary, get a playable vet who will not break the bank who could start then draft a youngin if possible. The OL draft picks need not be round one!!

I think LB and FS are right there with WR...but hopefully free agency will dictate the draft moves to a degree.