FWST: Offense Likely Next Step

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Hostile said:
We wouldn't have a prayer of getting him at 18.

Would you really want VY if he were there at 18? I mean, come on now, just how many new QBs do the Boyz need! :mad:

Evreytime I think about this, I just want to slap JJ upside his new face for not having someone behind Aikman ready to step in!! :grab:

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
lkelly said:
Spot on article. Every year the Dallas offense goes into a slump where they score 13-17 points. They won't advance far under those circumstances.

we've been starting off great on offense, especially in the passing game, these last 2 years, but the Oline and lack of game-breaking talent has caused us to tail off as opponents got a better feel for how we were doing things, more talent, and we can diversify how we run our O, and more importantly, fielding an Oline that can give Bledsoe adequate time

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
guys, OT and WR is usually a very difficult position for rookies to transition to from college to the pros, we're in the business of winning now, and we're going to draft accordingly, which is OLB in the 1st round

plus we'll be continuing trying to build up our D, which also means OLB in the 1st round

speedkilz88

Reaction score
This is the second article in a row of Mac Engels that makes me think that he needs to let his wife do the football articles and cover another sport. The only way I see the Cowboys go offense in the first is if they trade down to the back end and take an Olineman, but they should get the o-linemen in FAgency and be in position to get a SOLB.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Dallas may take a defensive player at 18 but I think we will see Dallas make the majority of their moves on the offensive side of the ball both in FA and in the draft. I also would not rule out Dallas taking 1 of the top OL at 18 depending on who is on the board at that time

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Hailmary said:
It's early to say where Carpenter will go pre-combine.
As of right now, I say he's early 2nd, but that could change w/ an outstanding 40 or bench.

Since we're picking in the middle and it's not a strong draft for what our needs are, I say best scenario would be to try to trade down and fill as many holes as possible. Not so much about finding an impact player, but creating much needed depth. A late first, a second and recovering our third would be a good first day IMO.

I think it depends on his injury. If he is healthy and looks sharp at the combine, I could see him going in later 1/early 2.

Although he could play and play well in a 4-3, I think he is built to be a 3-4 'backer.

There are a lot of 3-4 teams at the end of 1/early 2 that could pick him up and plug him in. Dallas, NE, Pittsburgh, SF, Cleveland.

NE picking him up would be classic NE. They always seem to have a player drop in their laps.

I'd love to see him for Dallas in 2.....but I think he'll be gone by then.

BTW, Dallas has a third....no fourth.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
speedkilz88 said:
This is the second article in a row of Mac Engels that makes me think that he needs to let his wife do the football articles and cover another sport. The only way I see the Cowboys go offense in the first is if they trade down to the back end and take an Olineman, but they should get the o-linemen in FAgency and be in position to get a SOLB.

The value in 1 isn't there for an offensive player unless you want to go RB....which Dallas doesn't really need.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
junk said:
The value in 1 isn't there for an offensive player unless you want to go RB....which Dallas doesn't really need.

I expect to see 3 to 4 OL, 2 to 3 WR as well as 3 QB go in round 1 so I don't agree that the value is not there it just depends on who is on the board

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I expect to see 3 to 4 OL, 2 to 3 WR as well as 3 QB go in round 1 so I don't agree that the value is not there it just depends on who is on the board

Other than possibly Holmes, I think any receiver at 18 is a major reach. Outside of D'Brick, I don't know that there are any sure fire OL in one either.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
junk said:
Other than possibly Holmes, I think any receiver at 18 is a major reach. Outside of D'Brick, I don't know that there are any sure fire OL in one either.

I just don't think all the teams and scouts agree with that statement because I think there are ample guys who are worthy of the 1st rd pick on offense. As for Dallas I hope they keep all their options open. Face it there is no sure fire player in the draft they all come with a certain degree of uncertainty.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I just don't think all the teams and scouts agree with that statement because I think there are ample guys who are worthy of the 1st rd pick on offense. As for Dallas I hope they keep all their options open. Face it there is no sure fire player in the draft they all come with a certain degree of uncertainty.

I agree. Its all a crapshoot.

However, I personally feel you could get a Day 1 starter defensively in 1. I don't feel that way about any offensive players.

Dallas needs an offense heavy draft....I just don't know if it will be this year.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
junk said:
I agree. Its all a crapshoot.

However, I personally feel you could get a Day 1 starter defensively in 1. I don't feel that way about any offensive players.

Dallas needs an offense heavy draft....I just don't know if it will be this year.

I think Dallas will address the offense in both FA and in the draft. As for the 18th pick it could very well be defense then again should 1 of the top offensive players fall into Dallas lap I would not be suprised if the 18th pick is an offensive player. As I have said in other post get the BPA that fits your needs.

burmafrd

Reaction score
We have all the game breaking skill players we really need. Get a young burner to have around just in case Glenn gets hurt is the only part we should get- and we can get that in the later rds. O line is the place we need upgrading- other then that it is LB, NT, FS, K. LB should be the 1st rd pick; maybe even the 2nd. FS I hope we take care of in FA, along with K. NT- find a wide body late in the draft and develope him.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101 said:
I think Dallas will address the offense in both FA and in the draft. As for the 18th pick it could very well be defense then again should 1 of the top offensive players fall into Dallas lap I would not be suprised if the 18th pick is an offensive player. As I have said in other post get the BPA that fits your needs.

I agree with Junk. I just don't any offensive players selected at #18 that would start. Defensively-- yeah.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
I agree with Junk. I just don't any offensive players selected at #18 that would start. Defensively-- yeah.

You may agree but I can promise you there will be 3 to 4 OL in the 1st rd of this draft so many scouts and coaches do not agree with that assesment. I'm not saying Dallas has to go offense but I'm also not aginst going offense in the draft. I want the best player who helps fill our needs.