FWST: Offense Likely Next Step

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101 said:
You may agree but I can promise you there will be 3 to 4 OL in the 1st rd of this draft so many scouts and coaches do not agree with that assesment. I'm not saying Dallas has to go offense but I'm also not aginst going offense in the draft. I want the best player who helps fill our needs.

My assesment is that that any offensive player selected at #18 won't be a starter (for us)... as opposed to a defensive player. I believe this for many reasons.

I wasn't saying there weren't offensive players not qualified to be picked in the later choices of the first round.

I don't see any offensive tackles after Ferguson that would be defacto starters over Petitti at this point.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
My assesment is that that any offensive player selected at #18 won't be a starter (for us)... as opposed to a defensive player. I believe this for many reasons.

I wasn't saying there weren't offensive players not qualified to be picked in the later choices of the first round.

I don't see any offensive tackles after Ferguson that would be defacto starters over Petitti at this point.

I think there are some guys out there who would be much better than Petitti after all we are talking about a kid who was a 6th round pick I would think there are 2 to 3 OT out there with a lot more skill which is why most scouting reports have them going in the 1st rd. This is not a knock on Petitti but the he is a 6th rd pick. If Dallas goes LB,FS,WR or OL I'm not going to have a problem with that when I know all of these are need areas and we should be able to address one of those position with the 18th pick.

ddh33

Reaction score
I think the first round is going to fall in such a way so as a defensive player will be where the value is at that pick in the first round.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101 said:
I think there are some guys out there who would be much better than Petitti after all we are talking about a kid who was a 6th round pick I would think there are 2 to 3 OT out there with a lot more skill which is why most scouting reports have them going in the 1st rd. This is not a knock on Petitti but the he is a 6th rd pick. If Dallas goes LB,FS,WR or OL I'm not going to have a problem with that when I know all of these are need areas and we should be able to address one of those position with the 18th pick.

But what you forget Doom is that Petitti is a 6th round draft pick with year's experience and that is very valuable. All the OT's after Ferguson are projects in my opinion. You through them out there and you aren't going to get anything better than what Petitti will give you in his second year... And they may well be worse.

In many ways Petitti is like Canti. Going into his senior season at Pitt, Petitti was a projected 2nd rounder by many folks. But injuries really drove down his draftability.

silver

Reaction score
we need impact players at these positions: WR, RB, FS, and SOLB.
Juliuos and Barber are OK but aren't dominant. Johnson & Glenn are serviceable.

Derinyar

Reaction score
I think its a stuipd idea to draft based on who is going to help most this year. No, we don't need a WR for this next year, but if that player is the top of our board we should take him. Most positions take some time to add strength and make a big impact or learn the play book or which ever reason you like.

If you want impact for next year you likely need to draft a DL or LB, as those are the only positions likely to make a big impact here this year. And the LB would need to be someone whos used to playing that postion in a 3-4 defense. Of course that player could well make less of an impact in years to come, but it seems thats not most peoples goals.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Derinyar said:
I think its a stuipd idea to draft based on who is going to help most this year. No, we don't need a WR for this next year, but if that player is the top of our board we should take him. Most positions take some time to add strength and make a big impact or learn the play book or which ever reason you like.

If you want impact for next year you likely need to draft a DL or LB, as those are the only positions likely to make a big impact here this year. And the LB would need to be someone whos used to playing that postion in a 3-4 defense. Of course that player could well make less of an impact in years to come, but it seems thats not most peoples goals.

What most people are trying to say is that the best player at 18 is unlikely to be an offensive player.

Its not like the team doesn't need LBers. They need 2 of them badly.

I just don't think the best player that fills a need will be an offensive player at 18. I think it'll probably be a linebacker although it could be a tackle.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I'm sticking with defense on this one. I did not see a serious issues with the offense until Flo went down. We had no problems moving the ball, and we still managed to win some even when Flo went down.

Our defense is far from Super Bowl ready if we don't finish the job. We need to get bigger and better and NT, OLB, ILB, and FS. We need to attack atleast 2 of these positions on the first day, unless we make a trade to acquire more picks.

Hear me out....
If you can get a solid solid RT like BAckus (3 sacks given up last year) or Shaffer (3 sacks given up last year),and possibly get a guard to replace LA.

Bentley is the talk on most message boards, and I think his price might be too high, but if not, then he's the one for me. Personally, I thought that Gurode did a better job at run blocking but his head is just not right sometimes. If you take a closer look at the line, we could add Backus or Shaffer/Bentley/ and Gilles or Spencer. If you get Backus/Bentley/Spencer on that line, and a stretch the field WR like Sinorice Moss or Chad Jackson, or a few others I have on my list, your offensive issues are over.

Don't just remember the last 4 or 5 games on offense, remember the first part of the year when we could eat up yards quickly. We don't have to go all out to get the offense back on track. So I say 2 FA additions, and 2 Draft additions would do the trick.

On defense, we need to get that Kemoeatu tackle and maybe a FS.

FA = RT/C/K/ bargain prices NT/ILB
Draft = OLB/G/FS/WR/T/PR-?/FB

There should be 3 really good Safeties in the third, and don't forget about Beriault who could play FS (although BP said SS). If we trade out of the 1st round, or miss out on Carpenter or Lawson, I would think Tapp or Gilles or both if we wound up with 2 seconds.

I would not go WR in the 1st round Period! I know we want to take the popular names and all, but BP does not have time to jack around with non-starters in his 1st couple of rounds. If you've noticed, he has started or attempted to start every draft pick he's had in the 1st 2 rounds. It's hard to imagine Parcells (who has never drafted a pure tackle in the 1st round) drafting some questionable Tackles this year in the 1st. I say he reserves his tackle situation for Free Agency.
I don't know what's going to happen with LA if anything, so right now it's hard to speculate on what we should pick up in the draft or FA.

Derinyar

Reaction score
junk said:
What most people are trying to say is that the best player at 18 is unlikely to be an offensive player.

Its not like the team doesn't need LBers. They need 2 of them badly.

I just don't think the best player that fills a need will be an offensive player at 18. I think it'll probably be a linebacker although it could be a tackle.
What I see when almost every one posts something is they want players who are going to make "an immedate impact". There usually aren't many positions that can make an immedate impact. Almost none on offense, other than the top OL, and only the front 7 in defese as DB's usually take a year to adjust.

The arguments against taking a WR is we have Glenn and Keyshawn. The arguement against an OL is he might not be able to beat out Pettite next year. The argument against a QB is hes not going to beat out Bledsoe next year, that even carries over into trades. Everyone says we're old on offense, but no one wants to deal with it now, except through FA. The problem with most FA's is that they are old, you don't usually lower the age of your team in FA. You lower the age of your team in the draft.

I'll agree that we need a couple of LB's. There might be value at LB at 18, there might not be. There might be value at WR at 18, there might not be. But I do think a good number of people are wanting us to draft for immedate impact.

Derinyar

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
I would not go WR in the 1st round Period! I know we want to take the popular names and all, but BP does not have time to jack around with non-starters in his 1st couple of rounds. If you've noticed, he has started or attempted to start every draft pick he's had in the 1st 2 rounds. It's hard to imagine Parcells (who has never drafted a pure tackle in the 1st round) drafting some questionable Tackles this year in the 1st. I say he reserves his tackle situation for Free Agency.
I don't know what's going to happen with LA if anything, so right now it's hard to speculate on what we should pick up in the draft or FA.
Its not been hard to start early picks on this team for the last few years. Our talent level had become horrid. When we are lamenting Derek Ross and Antonio Bryant then our talent had fallen into the toilet. Our talent is no longer there. Theres a good chance we could get a player whos good and has no chance of starting for us this year.

If you let a Coach with only a year or two left with the team decide everything in the draft thats how you wind up drafting players who fill a need but might not be the most talented. I do think Parcells is pretty good in the draft, but I also think that he probably doesn't have the long term health of this team as the major item in his thinking.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Derinyar said:
Its not been hard to start early picks on this team for the last few years. Our talent level had become horrid. When we are lamenting Derek Ross and Antonio Bryant then our talent had fallen into the toilet. Our talent is no longer there. Theres a good chance we could get a player whos good and has no chance of starting for us this year.

If you let a Coach with only a year or two left with the team decide everything in the draft thats how you wind up drafting players who fill a need but might not be the most talented. I do think Parcells is pretty good in the draft, but I also think that he probably doesn't have the long term health of this team as the major item in his thinking.
So who do we turn it over to?
It's Parcells way right now. Personally, I would draft a QB to mentor for the future, but it's not going to happen, so you never hear me talk about it.

I only talk about things, I think (based on Parcells draft history) Parcells is interested in.

Derinyar

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
So who do we turn it over to?
It's Parcells way right now. Personally, I would draft a QB to mentor for the future, but it's not going to happen, so you never hear me talk about it.

I only talk about things, I think (based on Parcells draft history) Parcells is interested in.
I think you have multiple inputs. Parcells is definately one of them, but he shouldn't have carte blanche over the scouts. I still suspect the last say is probably JJ, but i doubt hes going to override everyone anymore. You have to balance long term and short term. I think Parcells is somewhat likely to over rate short term right now.

fortdick

Reaction score
BlueThunder said:
There's only one answer,Vince Young! :bow:

Put down the Kool Aid! Don't need him, don't want him. Mediocre arm and a talent that isn;t right for the NFL. He will be broken all the time, like Vick!

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
Hailmary said:
A lot of people like to criticize LaFleur being picked in the first, but I liked the pick and think that he could have had a solid career had he been able to stay healthy. And hoping he'd be the second coming of Novachek is foolish...his body was built for different skills.

Don't forget, Aikman tried out LaFleur and Tony Gonzalez before the draft. He said LaFleur was a more complete TE and that is why he was drafted. I think he would've been a good one had he not been bitten by the injury bug.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Derinyar said:
What I see when almost every one posts something is they want players who are going to make "an immedate impact". There usually aren't many positions that can make an immedate impact. Almost none on offense, other than the top OL, and only the front 7 in defese as DB's usually take a year to adjust.

The arguments against taking a WR is we have Glenn and Keyshawn. The arguement against an OL is he might not be able to beat out Pettite next year. The argument against a QB is hes not going to beat out Bledsoe next year, that even carries over into trades. Everyone says we're old on offense, but no one wants to deal with it now, except through FA. The problem with most FA's is that they are old, you don't usually lower the age of your team in FA. You lower the age of your team in the draft.

I'll agree that we need a couple of LB's. There might be value at LB at 18, there might not be. There might be value at WR at 18, there might not be. But I do think a good number of people are wanting us to draft for immedate impact.

Newman and Roy both had impacts in their rookie year.

My argument against taking a WR is that I am not convinced there is good value in 1 to go get one. I'd love to bring in a young WR.

Same story for QB. I'd love a young talented QB. I don't see one being there. Even if Cutler fell that far, I am not too terribly impressed with him.

I could deal with a top OT if that was the best value.

I think part of the rush to get players of immediate impact is that this team is on a short term 2 year run. I think it has to retool again once BP hangs it up.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
ghst187 said:
I think the most prevalent need based on where we draft and the players likely available is the need to make a trade with the 18 pick, and probably move down at least 3-6 picks.

With San Diego and Kansas City drafting directly behind the Cowboys and with Denver having two No. 1 picks, I can see Denver moving in position to get a player who may be falling and loving to snatch that particular player from the Chiefs and Chargers.

Both those AFC teams seem to have a need for Santonio Holmes. But from what I understand Denver does too. If Denver doesn't sign TO, it is possible they'd be willing to move up to snag Holmes.

I'm not that high on him so I wouldn't be the least bit put out if we moved down and let some other club take him, assuming he's available.

neosapien23

Reaction score
fortdick said:
Put down the Kool Aid! Don't need him, don't want him. Mediocre arm and a talent that isn;t right for the NFL. He will be broken all the time, like Vick!

Quit being such a hater.:mad: Vince Young is not a bust until he proves otherwise, he also isn't a future starter until he proves otherwise as well. He was the biggest factor at the Rose Bowl and beat both Matt Leinhart and Reggie Bush.