Signed by Cowboys G Jonathan Cooper re-signs for 1-year

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Actually I'm surprised more folks aren't suggesting Cleary as a possible RT.

I thought his work at LT in place when called upon last season was OK... Not great... Not horrible, which given his inexperience and such was... passable.

I was really surprised with how solid he looked. He looked much better than Free did in that game.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Smith-Cooper-Fred-Martin-winner of Collins/Green/Cleary competition

I dig that!
:thumbup:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Now do the right thing and give Collins every chance to be your RT.

Besides all the "ever chance" he's already had up until this point? I mean the guy couldn't sniff Doug Free's jock strap at RT thus far! That's saying something!!! :laugh:

TheHerd

Reaction score
Yet he couldn't beat out Doug Free...
This team played Nick Hayden for years. The best player doesn't always play. I'm not saying Collins is going to RT, but the fact that Free played there last year doesn't prove much.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
This team played Nick Hayden for years. The best player doesn't always play. I'm not saying Collins is going to RT, but the fact that Free played there last year doesn't prove much.

Umm, what? Nick Hayden WAS one of the best players on the DL during his time. It says quite a bit.

Otherwise, the entire coaching staff would and SHOULD have been fired on the spot.

JBS

Reaction score
The OL talent in the second round is pretty good for all the poopooing people have been doing over the class. Lots of guys that are 310+ and run a sub 4.8 shuttle coming out of big schools.

I'm not suggesting this OL class isn't good..I'm suggesting we don't need to use a premium pick on the OL...

mldardy

Reaction score
Cardinals, Pats, and Browns....it's been 4 years and he's done nothing but fail so far. I'm pretty sure even Jonathan Cooper would tell you that, it's really not debatable. What do Leary and Free have to do anything? At all?

And I didn't **** on anybody, I have no problem with keeping Cooper around and hoping for the best. I just stated the obvious that it's ridiculous to pencil him in as a starter.
He wasn't cut by the Cards, he was traded. And I'm not pretty sure of anything until I actually see that he can or can't play and neither are you. You aren't even close to an expert, don't pretend to be one. If you were paying attention (which you obviously weren't) did you think Free or Leary would be effective before they were is my point. Most people weren't confident they could do the job before they played and they proved us wrong. THAT'S WHAT THEY HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING AT ALL. And yeah you did **** on him.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
We signed Collins after the draft, aka after drafting Green.

????
And tried him 1 week at RT and never again.

My point being they used a premium pick at the tackle spot, and after trying Collins there immediately slotted him in at LG and he's opened there as a starter for the last two seasons. It is where the team wants him.

robjay04

Reaction score
Besides all the "ever chance" he's already had up until this point? I mean the guy couldn't sniff Doug Free's jock strap at RT thus far! That's saying something!!! :laugh:

False.

Collins got snaps as RT for his first mini camps and that's it. He has been a guard since then. Even if some fans hate Free..the coaching staff loves the veteran leadership he brings. Free never had competition for his job.

robjay04

Reaction score
Umm, what? Nick Hayden WAS one of the best players on the DL during his time. It says quite a bit.

Otherwise, the entire coaching staff would and SHOULD have been fired on the spot.

Nick Hayden was never one of the best players on our defensive line. Interior line? Well he stayed relatively healthy and was never good enough to get money so I give him that. There was always at least 5 defensive linemen on this team better than him though.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I meant based on his own performance against Philly.

As for Cleary, here's a tidbit I'm not sure if you know or not. He was rated as the #3 RT prospect in his draft by at least one draft source. It surprised me when I saw it.

He really did play well that game. I know Broaddus was pretty down on him going in.

I just want to see it. If the guy came through camp and people were talking about him, I'd feel a lot better. It'd be great if the guy can actually play.

sbark

Reaction score
Put some pressure on ChazGreen.......OTA's etc throw Collins at RT, as JG says competition at every spot. Not sure even if Cam Robinson slides---does he start right off the batt?

haleyrules

Reaction score
I don't know. Just hope that Cooper can regain his status as a 1st rd pick. The club needs this boy to perform.