Signed by Cowboys Gallup signs deal

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
You mean they wont play for free just to wear the star?

I would, but hey that's just me. o_O

Years ago players would take less money to play for Dallas, because they would make up the money because the Cowboys were in the playoffs every year.
Now the playoff money is a pittance compared to the salaries. And with cable television, the internet, etc. players can get endorsements no matter where they play.

New era folks....

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yaaaay! Something positive for the first time in weeks. If not for the injury, we would've lost Gallup too.
I think we were going to keep either Gallup or Cooper all along. The injury just may have helped keep Gallup's deal to a more tolerable level

blueblood70

Reaction score
Quote a bit more than the original 5 years for 55 million some reported, but with Mike Williams getting 20 million per year, I guess that changed it for all the wideouts.
and Thomas and cooper etc etc of course a 1b or 2a starting WR can demand 12-15mil..its the going market rate

Creeper

Reaction score
I think Gallup is probably worth a little less, assuming his knee is 100%. But as so many others have said, the average salary is not the story until we see the details. I would say right now without seeing the details, the deal is better than what they did with Demarcus Lawrence. I think Gallup will give us $9 million to $13 million in value on the field. He will not get 100 catches, but he seems to have a good rapport with Dak and he makes those great sideline plays. Gallup will be slightly overpaid, but not ridiculously overpaid.

I like that they gave him 5 years. I don't think he sees the end of this deal but it means they can pay him bonus up front to keep his CAP number low the next 2 years. This will enable them to sign Kearse and Wilson and/or Gregory. In 3 years the CAP will be higher and they will extend Dak to create more CAP space for their best players.

At least now we have 2 good WRs on the roster.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think Gallup is probably worth a little less, assuming his knee is 100%. But as so many others have said, the average salary is not the story until we see the details. I would say right now without seeing the details, the deal is better than what they did with Demarcus Lawrence. I think Gallup will give us $9 million to $13 million in value on the field. He will not get 100 catches, but he seems to have a good rapport with Dak and he makes those great sideline plays. Gallup will be slightly overpaid, but not ridiculously overpaid.

I like that they gave him 5 years. I don't think he sees the end of this deal but it means they can pay him bonus up front to keep his CAP number low the next 2 years. This will enable them to sign Kearse and Wilson and/or Gregory. In 3 years the CAP will be higher and they will extend Dak to create more CAP space for their best players.

At least now we have 2 good WRs on the roster.
After a couple years, if he stays on the field, it'll be renegotiated for less of a cap hit.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I would, but hey that's just me. o_O

Years ago players would take less money to play for Dallas, because they would make up the money because the Cowboys were in the playoffs every year.
Now the playoff money is a pittance compared to the salaries. And with cable television, the internet, etc. players can get endorsements no matter where they play.

New era folks....
That would have been pretty rare. The 1990s teams were decimated by free agency.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Have the details of the structure been released yet?

Impossible to assess it before seeing those.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
I'm convinced that some of you will hate every move the Cowboys make no matter what.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Gallup is your only deep threat. Take him away and you have who exactly?

That's true, but over the years we've seen Dak miss Gallup on deep routes much more often than not. They've simply not been on the same page. Now if they kept both WRs, I'm fine with that, although I still think it's smarter to draft a potential deep threat later in the draft, especially with Gallup coming off a knee injury.

jrumann59

Reaction score
A lot of fans overlook this. Dak and Cooper were not on the same page last year. Coop's road games are atrocious and stretches where he just disappeared. But it is a risk for the Cowboys to sign a WR with durability concerns to a deal with that kind of guaranteed money.
All the WR disappeared especially down the stretch. Even the new #1.