Signed by Cowboys Gallup signs deal

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I don't think we get Wilson back. Usually when hints are dropped that a player is out of our price range that's the Joneses saying they aren't going to re-sign him.
Fisher hinted they are trying to keep him. We will see.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
The $62 mill means nothing, it could all be funny money for all we know.

Edit...............looks like the guaranteed money is $27 mill, so basically $5 mill a year cap charge. Thats actually a pretty good deal, if his knee is shot we can get out of the deal without too much of a cap hit and if he is good to go its actually a bargin.

Exactly. When looking at contracts the only numbers that truly count are what the guarantees are. If Gallup underperforms or gets hurt again I am almost certain there is an "out" that the Cowboys can take like they did with Cooper.

Looking at what receivers are getting paid around the NFL the Gallup deal can be considered a steal; injured knee or not.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I'd like to see it. If we don't, my guess is that the plan right now would be to play Pollard more in the slot if the draft doesn't fall right to take a receiver in the first three rounds. There's no reason for Fehoko, Brown or Turner (who I don't think we've re-signed) to play over Pollard.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Lol.. again wait and see how the contract breaks down. He will probably only count 7 million toward the cap this year

He was always going to be in the $12-$15 million range based on what other No. 2 receivers are getting. I think some fans are just unrealistic with their expectations or just look for reasons to be upset with the Joneses.

As I've said elsewhere, I would have restructured Cooper and let Gallup walk, but I can understand why the team would do it this way. Cooper's numbers last year weren't worthy of the contract. Gallup is younger and has shown the ability to be a solid No. 2. And his pay is more like a No. 2 while Cooper was getting paid No. 1 money. The injury would have made me hesitant, though.

ICP

Reaction score
This is actually a below market level contract with not much guaranteed. It’s a good deal for both sides. Now all we need is a #3 wr
They already have Brown, they won't be able to get anyone in free agency that's better than that

Cowboyny

Reaction score
They already have Brown, they won't be able to get anyone in free agency that's better than that
Let’s see which other receivers become available. I could see Turner being brought back as well

gimmesix

Reaction score
Well good I was wrong. Thought they wouldn't reach a deal

Most likely had it essentially worked out before trading Cooper. Otherwise, why trade him when you still have a week left before his contract guarantees? I don't think it was because the Browns were in that big of a hurry if a deal had been reached.

gimmesix

Reaction score

I was hoping that if we were going to cut/trade Cooper, we would essentially use that savings to sign both Gallup and Wilson (along with another player or two based on how the first year of contracts is structured). I could live with that 2 for 1 deal.