Gallup's numbers should rival Cooper's

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
can you simply not comprehend what's being said?
statistically, every QB misses those throws more often than not.
if dak is better at completing that throw than the average QB, then what's the argument? that he should be way, way better?
He doesn't watch other quarterbacks play so in his mind quarterbacks hit on 100% of their throws and never have a bad one even though Aaron Rodgers has thrown bad footballs all year as has Tom Brady.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Ridiculous.

Most of his haters claim Dak's incapable of doing anything well, when a number of his stats refute that claim.

Then, when you factor in Cooper's stats, Dak is actually much better than the haters surmise. How can Cooper have great stats without a QB actually making the throws to get those stats?

Besides, I CLEARLY said Gallup's numbers could be better, which is on Dak. Move on.
Calm down. I agree, the addition of Cooper has improved Dak's performance greatly. Part of that is Cooper's ability to adjust to the ball (something all good receivers should be able to do) and part of it is because he seems to have more confidence in Coop, throwing to a spot, rather than waiting for him to get open. That also seems to have given him more confidence to do it with other receivers.

That said, his accuracy still needs work.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I could be mistaken but Cooper is a 4.3 guy and Gallup is a 4.4-4.5 guy. I do agree with the route running but on go routes Cooper seems like he is faster, can run down those overthrown balls while Gallup is just a yard or so away from getting there.

Yeah, I actually changed the wording on that post, after I re-read it. What I meant to say there is that I don't think Gallup is faster but it didn't come across that way. Gallup is a 4.4 guy and Cooper is a 4.3 guy but the speed is not the issue on those throws. I mean QBs work with WRs that run at different speeds all the time, to say nothing of Backs or TEs or what have you. It's not the speed of the WR that is causing the problem. It can't be or Dak would never have been made into a QB. It's something else and I believe that Dak is not a great Deep Ball thrower, at this point in his development. Amari can track it down with that extra gear so that makes Dak look much better when throwing to him. He can adjust and come back because usually, DBs are so far behind him that all they are thinking about is catching up, rather then adjusting when Coop comes back to the ball, not so with Gallup at this point. As he becomes a better route runner, he will enjoy some of this as well but he will have to do it in another way and that's being an even better route runner and probably a guy who has better catch radius. Also, Gallup IMO, is better at going up and catching that ball on the 50/50 situations but we don't see it because Dak doesn't throw it. That is something, IMO, that Gallup has in his game that we are not using.

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
The guy threw for 455 yards, 3 touchdowns and a 78% completion rating.....and you guys are complaining about his 3 bad passes to Gallup lol. So yeah......you are being unrealistic. You want to complain about the fumble or interception...fair. But I'm not harping on a overthrow of Gallup. I refuse to. You don't even watch other qb's so in your mind no one throws bad passes. So I can't really even debate this subject matter with you.

you can't use reason and data to sway someone's opinion who used zero reason and data to reach their opinion. it's a fool's errand; futile. there's zero data presented to support their view, but nevertheless, they are somehow definitely correct.

HellCrowe

Reaction score
wow man.
every QB misses deep throws more often than other throws. every single one.
is dak better than average, average, or worse than average at hitting the deep throw?
how many other QBs miss those throws to gallup over the course of the year?
if most QBs miss them most of the time, i'm not going to kill dak for missing them most of the time. this is why statistics are important.

See that’s where we differ. “most of the time” but it’s ok

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
wow man.
every QB misses deep throws more often than other throws. every single one.
is dak better than average, average, or worse than average at hitting the deep throw?
how many other QBs miss those throws to gallup over the course of the year?
if most QBs miss them most of the time, i'm not going to kill dak for missing them most of the time. this is why statistics are important.

Another reason the deep sideline pass is nice is not only that it's easy to make it's also easy to throw out of bounds which makes it a safe throw and would bring down the numbers that the nerds would point to as relevant in the actual difficulty of the throw.

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
See that’s where we differ. “most of the time” but it’s ok

you've provided no evidence that most QBs hit that throw most of the time, and that dak is below-average at it. if most QBs miss it most of the time, isn't that important?

HellCrowe

Reaction score
The guy threw for 455 yards, 3 touchdowns and a 78% completion rating.....and you guys are complaining about his 3 bad passes to Gallup lol. So yeah......you are being unrealistic. You want to complain about the fumble or interception...fair. But I'm not harping on a overthrow of Gallup. I refuse to. You don't even watch other qb's so in your mind no one throws bad passes. So I can't really even debate this subject matter with you.

That’s where statistics don’t tell the whole story. The W is great but the first 3 quarters were horrible. He need that 4th and OT. He has the intangibles but he dug that hole pretty deep to begin with

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
you can't use reason and data to sway someone's opinion who used zero reason and data to reach their opinion. it's a fool's errand; futile. there's zero data presented to support their view, but nevertheless, they are somehow definitely correct.

Only data they have is their "urge" or "eyes" if you let them tell it. But in the next sentence will admit they don't watch other qb's play.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
if this were the case, why don't the numbers bear it out at all?
if they were so easy, why aren't they completed more often?
why aren't the thrown by every QB every down if they were easy to complete? why are they far rarer throws?

The throw is actually easy, once you have a feel for the speed of your receivers. That doesn't mean that it's more successful.

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
Another reason the deep sideline pass is nice is not only that it's easy to make it's also easy to throw out of bounds which makes it a safe throw and would bring down the numbers that the nerds would point to as relevant in the actual difficulty of the throw.

ah, asking for evidence of your argument makes one a "nerd." i think you just can't grasp statistics. what does that make you?

safer != easier, by the way.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but Dak Prescott has only thrown one accurate deep ball to Amari Cooper which was the one in the end zone this weekend.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Yeah, I actually changed the wording on that post, after I re-read it. What I meant to say there is that I don't think Gallup is faster but it didn't come across that way. Gallup is a 4.4 guy and Cooper is a 4.3 guy but the speed is not the issue on those throws. I mean QBs work with WRs that run at different speeds all the time, to say nothing of Backs or TEs or what have you. It's not the speed of the WR that is causing the problem. It can't be or Dak would never have been made into a QB. It's something else and I believe that Dak is not a great Deep Ball thrower, at this point in his development. Amari can track it down with that extra gear so that makes Dak look much better when throwing to him. He can adjust and come back because usually, DBs are so far behind him that all they are thinking about is catching up, rather then adjusting when Coop comes back to the ball, not so with Gallup at this point. As he becomes a better route runner, he will enjoy some of this as well but he will have to do it in another way and that's being an even better route runner and probably a guy who has better catch radius. Also, Gallup IMO, is better at going up and catching that ball on the 50/50 situations but we don't see it because Dak doesn't throw it. That is something, IMO, that Gallup has in his game that we are not using.
I could see your point but Dak is throwing at a league average on deep balls with missing Gallup. I don't mean Dak isn't adjusting but I feel he is comfortable with Cooper and seeing him go get it and perhaps that throws him off with Gallup. It's a chemistry issue, also the ones to Cooper are to his right and the ones to Gallup are to his left. Remember is preseason the deep ball he hit Gallup on for the TD...... Was on the right side.

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
The throw is actually easy, once you have a feel for the speed of your receivers. That doesn't mean that it's more successful.

if it's easy, why is it completed less often league-wide?
if it were easy, wouldn't it be completed more often?
if it were easy, wouldn't it be thrown a majority of time, considering the upside of the best-case outcome?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That’s where statistics don’t tell the whole story. The W is great but the first 3 quarters were horrible. He need that 4th and OT. He has the intangibles but he dug that hole pretty deep to begin with

So let me get this straight....he was horrible for 3 quarters....and ended the game with 455 yards and 3 td's lol....so he must've thrown for 400 yards in that 4th quarter and OT....that's a helluva way to end a game lol.

He was poor in the 1st half. Did some good did some bad. No doubt about it. And if he ended the game like he started? I'd be complaining too. But one thing I can cling on to is that he comes through in the 4th quarter. Where some guys like Wentz choke he comes up and usually ends up on top. That's a trait that won't show up on the stat sheet.

He needs to work on his pocket presence, protecting the football when he's about to get sacked and his connection with Gallup. I can live with improving on those 3 things.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Obviously, there is a considerable difference in experience between Cooper and Gallup. Gallup is a mere rookie, while Cooper is in the midst of his 4th year. It's impossible to predict exactly how they'll compare a few years from now, although Gallup is improving noticeably each week that he's been a Dallas Cowboys WR. He may never have quite the speed of Cooper but time and experience promises to serve him well.

Dak just needs to adjust his timing and distance to become better suited to MG's running style, routes and his speed. With respect to that, there's obvious improvement to be seen every week that they play. As far as I can tell, it's all good and will only get better! :)

Last edited:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Calm down. I agree, the addition of Cooper has improved Dak's performance greatly. Part of that is Cooper's ability to adjust to the ball (something all good receivers should be able to do) and part of it is because he seems to have more confidence in Coop, throwing to a spot, rather than waiting for him to get open. That also seems to have given him more confidence to do it with other receivers.

That said, his accuracy still needs work.

This is it. RWB is right here. This is why it's so important to throw 10K passes to your WRs in the off season. QBs throw to a point on the field for a given yardage on go routes. QBs put air under the ball and WRs run under it and that ball is thrown to a spot on the field. That is why it is a much easier throw because you are throwing to a spot that should have muscle memory around it. Dak does not have that down yet and especially with Gallup IMO.

HellCrowe

Reaction score
So let me get this straight....he was horrible for 3 quarters....and ended the game with 455 yards and 3 td's lol....so he must've thrown for 400 yards in that 4th quarter and OT....that's a helluva way to end a game lol.

He was poor in the 1st half. Did some good did some bad. No doubt about it. And if he ended the game like he started? I'd be complaining too. But one thing I can cling on to is that he comes through in the 4th quarter. Where some guys like Wentz choke he comes up and usually ends up on top. That's a trait that won't show up on the stat sheet.

He needs to work on his pocket presence, protecting the football when he's about to get sacked and his connection with Gallup. I can live with improving on those 3 things.

Hey why are we debating anything at all? That’s the same point of view I have.

Wentz.. broken and damaged goods this year. We still need to see if he can bounce back. Injuries can derail a whole career. That’s one thing Dak seems to have, Durability.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Obviously, there is a considerable difference in experience between Cooper and Gallup. Gallup is a mere rookie, while Cooper is in the midst of his 4th year. It's impossible to predict exactly how they'll compare a few years from now, although Gallup is improving noticeably each week that he's been a Dallas Cowboys WR. Dak needs to adjust his timing and distance to become better suited to MG's running style, routes and his speed. With respect to that, there's obvious improvement to be seen every week that they play. It's all good.

He does. And it will get better. They went into this season with Deonte Thompson, Tavon Austin, Allen Hurns and Michael Gallup just rotating every game. The chemistry has been off early on. With Cooper it essentially clicked immediately which in part is due to how great of a route runner he is and he's always open it seems.