CFZ Game Footage Review: OG McGovern

quickccc

Reaction score
Imo, we cannot pass up on high graded OGs for the hope and gamble that McGovern can suddenly up his game and be a fit starter for the
LG role.

1) McGovern had his chance at gaining the LG role when they benched Williams and implanted McGovern at LG.
2) McGovern failed at that chance, he was benched and the penalty plagued Williams regained his starting role.
3) OG and RB are probably the easiest position to transcend and adjust in the NFL,.
4) Usually a high regarded OG is an immediate plug and play guy;
I'll start with my conclusion:
- I reviewed all of this snaps vs KC/Saints/Washington.
- If only 1 interior OL is added, I would prefer to upgrade OC and play McGovern at LG.
- Obviously an All Pro upgrade at both positions would be nice, but unlikely this season.

LG Connor Williams struggled with penalties and was replaced for 4 games by Connor McGovern.
- The overall OLine didn't improve during that time and Connor Williams regained the starting role.

I had said prior to the McGovern experiment that CM would not be an upgrade over CW.
- i.e. I was not 'Pro McGovern'.
- Having said that, it was the logical decision to try McGovern due to CW's penalty issues.

McGovern Game Footage
- McGovern was better than I remembered.
- His issues were primarily mental (technique/awareness/angles).
- He has 'good enough' power and athleticism.
- He managed to hold up to Chris Jones in the KC game on most snaps.
- There were a couple of snaps where Jones whipped him, but Chris Jones does that to many OLinemen.
- The bigger issue was the overall OLine.
- If CM or CW had played between prime years Tyron and Frederick, then they would have been OK.
- Instead the OC was Biadasz and LT Tyron was out for 6 games.
- Steele is good at RT but not at LT. Nsekhe is a career backup.
- Summary:
- He looked capable but tentative. Almost like a young QB that has ability but tends to panic.
- I'm somewhat surprised they didn't give him another start.
- They won 2 of the 4 games that McGovern started at LG including the final 2.

OL Coach

- It has come out this off-season that the OL coach favored CW over McGovern.
- It was a McCarthy decision to try McGovern.
- CW didn't have penalty issues until McCarthy and staff were hired.
- The Packers OL under McCarthy were known for a specific method of holding.
- This holding technique was against the rules but subtle enough to avoid excessive penalties.
- I think the OL coach supported Connor Williams because he is the one that taught him to hold.
- There have been articles about the Green Bay holding technique and sports talk discussions about it.
- GB's approach was similar to the Legion of Boom and their approach to penalties.
- Basically the LoB strategy was that eventually the Refs would give up calling penalties.
- The league requires refs to limit penalties to keep game times within limits.

1) McGovern had his chance at gaining the LG role when they benched Williams and implanted McGovern at LG.
2) McGovern failed at that chance, he was benched and the penalty plagued Williams regained his starting role.
3) OG and RB are probably the easiest position to transcend and adjust in the NFL,.
4) Usually a high regarded OG is an immediate plug and play guy;
5) McClay gave McGovern a 2nd round grade, thought he was too valuable to pass up in 3rd rd.
6) Philibin has never been fond of McGovern; wasn't here when we drafted him, forced to play him per team injuries, Covid
7) among the skinniest arms i think i've ever seen on an interior player; looks like Jarwin's arms
5) McClay gave McGovern a 2nd round grade, thought he was too valuable to pass up in 3rd rd.
6) Philibin has never been fond of McGovern; wasn't here when we drafted him, forced to play him per team injuries, Covid
7) among the skinniest arms i think i've ever seen on an interior player; looks like Jarwin's arms

- Cowboys did not even invite Linderbaum in as a 30 day visitee, what's the likelihood of drafting him in the first rd ?
- Ironically Cowboys reportedly never interviewed McGovern but eventually drafted him in the 3rd round.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
- If only 1 interior OL is added, I would prefer to upgrade OC and play McGovern at LG.
- Obviously an All Pro upgrade at both positions would be nice, but unlikely this season.

LG Connor Williams struggled with penalties and was replaced for 4 games by Connor McGovern.
- The overall OLine didn't improve during that time and Connor Williams regained the starting role.

I had said prior to the McGovern experiment that CM would not be an upgrade over CW.
- Having said that, it was the logical decision to try McGovern due to CW's penalty issues.

McGovern Game Footage
- There were a couple of snaps where Jones whipped him, but Chris Jones does that to many OLinemen.
- If CM or CW had played between prime years Tyron and Frederick, then they would have been OK.
- Summary:
- He looked capable but tentative. Almost like a young QB that has ability but tends to panic.

OL Coach

- This holding technique was against the rules but subtle enough to avoid excessive penalties.
- I think the OL coach supported Connor Williams because he is the one that taught him to hold.
- There have been articles about the Green Bay holding technique and sports talk discussions about it.
- GB's approach was similar to the Legion of Boom and their approach to penalties.
- Basically the LoB strategy was that eventually the Refs would give up calling penalties.

McGovern was probably OK, but Williams was just better last year. Now that we've only got a year left on McGovern, drafting somehow high to takeover at LG probably makes most sense.

Best sense may be to draft a C, and push him to LG if he doesn't beat out Biadasz. C is a much more valuable position than G. That's where we should be spending draft capital.
Or, draft a G/T, and let him fill in at LG until he can rotate to starter at T.

The guy I most wish to dump is Philbin. He made meatloaf out of rib eye. Nate points the finger at Philbin too. Said his scheme demanded that they play passively to disguise run/pass blocking.

conner01

Reaction score
I think his penalties were from physical limitations and trying to do too much, along with the coaches teaching new techniques. Dallas fans always need a scapegoat. Funny how the organization operates the same way. Seems CW was one of them last year. If CW was dumb and had the physical limitations that he has, why in the world did the line fall apart when he was benched?
He did 26 reps at combine. Strength is not his issue
I think his technique is poor and he gets himself in bad positions so he holds
I don’t think he’s as bad as most fans think, he’s certainly better than MCGovern. But I don’t get second contracts to players who aren’t elite unless they play a positions that’s hard to replace. Guard is one of the easiest positions to replace in the draft. letting him walk was the right move but he will have many more years in the nfl. His technique is as much the staffs fault likely as his. He was better his first year than he was this year to me

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
I know it probably won't happen but if I hear a 1st round OLine man 2nd round DLine man 3rd round LB in the draft. Awww Man will I be happy

Davis out of Georgia 1st Round
Zion Johnson out of BC 2ndround
Leo Chenal out of Wisconsin 3rd round

Dream Scenario for me

conner01

Reaction score
It was impressive for a late round OL to be active for the majority of games.

Farniok only played 23 snaps in 2021; however, I thought he looked good in those snaps.

He looked good in extensive preseason action at both OG and OC.

He played primarily RT in college with 1 start at OC and a few a RG.
There is something about him to me. He plays with a attitude and in the few snaps we seen he was always in good position and gets to second level well. time will tell if he’s a player or not but I sure wouldn’t be shocked if he didn’t win the center job. But if not he’s probably a better swing guard/center option than MCGovern. The one thing that gives MCGovern an advantage as the swing is he blocks well from FB or TE position which isn’t easy out in space
But he’s also in his 3rd year so he’s certainly gonna be just like CW when he hits FA. Those just aren’t the type of players to give second contracts to
If you just churn them you may eventually get a guy in the same zip code talent wise as Martin

conner01

Reaction score
CW didn't have penalty issues until McCarty and staff were hired.
- Green Bay taught their OL to hold in a method that was not legal but generally didn't get flagged.
- It does fuel the conspiracy theory that Green Bay get penalized far less than than the Cowboys.
- i.e. The borderline holding technique didn't get flagged in GB but it did when a Cowboys player used it.
That is true
He didn’t have those issues earlier in his career
He’s a better player than most fans give him credit for but I still wouldn’t have gave him a second contract. Tackles you kinda have to keep if they are solid players unless you have one in waiting, but unless a guard is a Martin type guard you just churn them
Can’t have most of your oline on second contracts

conner01

Reaction score
Not necessarily. It is difficult to find backup OCs.

1: If they draft an OC that starts as a rookie this year, it is likely a player that can play OG.
- That player could move to OG and Biadasz could play OC.

2: Biadasz could likely survive at OG to finish out a game.

3: The new rule created during Covid only allow the extra 2 players for the 48 man roster if the team has 8 OL active.
- In the past, most teams carried 7 active OL unless a starter was an injury question mark going into the game.
- Now all teams carry at least 8 OL (3 backups).
Seems like we’ve been carrying the extra guy at tackle recently but with smith that’s not a bad idea
Smith is the reason I think we still add a vet tackle
I just don’t see them betting on ball since we didn’t get to see much of him. That said Ball has the tools to at least play RT in this league. Whether or not he develops is still an unknown but he certainly has physically what it takes

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
We managed 1 playoff WIN with the Best Offline in the NFL and a young Zeke.......what exactly are you shooting for now????
Miracles ????????????

1492803678-NM_19CowboysJet75.JPG
PD, what the Cowboys need is a much better Oline Coach. One who knows how to get these Olinemen in much better shape, become more agile & nimble on their feet, who knows how to get them stronger overall but mostly at their core/base, but who also know how to teach them how to win the Laws of Leverage by getting lower than their opponent while maintaining a solid base while being able to push and drive their opponent back. I don't see Joe Philbin being able to do that.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
He did 26 reps at combine. Strength is not his issue
I think his technique is poor and he gets himself in bad positions so he holds
I don’t think he’s as bad as most fans think, he’s certainly better than MCGovern. But I don’t get second contracts to players who aren’t elite unless they play a positions that’s hard to replace. Guard is one of the easiest positions to replace in the draft. letting him walk was the right move but he will have many more years in the nfl. His technique is as much the staffs fault likely as his. He was better his first year than he was this year to me
I agree it was the right move to let him go. Was only speaking on the subject matter. The issue at hand is whether CM is a viable replacement. I have my doubts. Bad technique is brought on by overcompensation due to deficiency. He never seemed to have much leg drive. Maybe he never took the time to learn technique but that's highly doubtful for an NFL starter.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
PD, what the Cowboys need is a much better Oline Coach. One who knows how to get these Olinemen in much better shape, become more agile & nimble on their feet, who knows how to get them stronger overall but mostly at their core/base, but who also know how to teach them how to win the Laws of Leverage by getting lower than their opponent while maintaining a solid base while being able to push and drive their opponent back. I don't see Joe Philbin being able to do that.
:muttley: I give up as we are approaching borderline gridiron insanity with you Dak lovers and the excuses!!!

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

McGovern Game Footage
- Summary:

OL Coach

Wish you would provide a link to said video(s) on McGovern, @xwalker .

PS: Matt Farniok (#68) would help solve our problems at Center for now. He's much better and more aggressive than Biadisz.

2021 Preseason: Cowboys backups vs Jaguars starters

Last edited:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Wish you would provide a link to said video(s) on McGovern, @xwalker .

PS: Matt Farniok (#68) would help solve our problems at Center for now. He's much better and more aggressive than Biadisz.

2021 Preseason: Cowboys backups vs Jaguars starters

Farniok also played Center during Week 18 late in the game vs the Eagles.

Go to 9:30 minute mark on the video...

What do you think @xwalker ?

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I really hope not. I dont want to see them move an All Pro for Conner McGovern

Why would you oppose it if that is the option that gives you the best line you can field?

Isn't that the luxury of having All Pro's? They have the talent to accommodate lesser talented players and thus the overall team?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Why would you oppose it if that is the option that gives you the best line you can field?

Isn't that the luxury of having All Pro's? They have the talent to accommodate lesser talented players and thus the overall team?
Because I dont see how it does. You take one of the best run blockers in the game and you move him to a less critical run blocking position to accommodate a much lesser player. Just find a better LG

fivetwos

Reaction score
There is no chance in hell that 2nd year OL has peaked. Not a chance.

As far as Biadasz your telling me you watched every single game of the season and every play focused on Biadasz? That sounds like a tall tail to me. Watching a game or two and a few plays here and there means little.

Its more likely the players around him got worse and had to try and cover for them and it didnt look pretty. Or was expecting help and never got it.

As far as Farniok this is another mythical fairy tail. The guy has done nothing at all to warrant such praise. He played like one or two preseason games in the 4th quarter and that was it.

What is the guy a 7th round pick? Biadasz got the award in college for the best center his junior year. Its more likely that he finally has a full offseason to get stronger and will be fully recovered from his injuries from college and his first pro year.

But like I said he was no world beater and if Lindenbaum is there, I have no problem taking him.
I did in fact watch Biadasz that closely early on. I posted accordingly.

If you recall early last season....when things were going very well on offense....people were all over Biadasz about bad snaps and getting pushed around in the run game.

I didn't agree based on what I remembered seeing.

BTW....it doesn't take much time to forward through to the offensive series.....so I did exactly that, for the games up to around then.

I felt like his play was above average overall. He did in fact get bullied a bit by Philly, but Cox and Hargrave make that understandable. The snap thing was almost a pure lie, and probably based on an Aikman comment during one of the game casts.

So....I was defending the guy if anything.

His play slipped off a cliff after Minnesota.

A few other things happened at the same time....McGovern replaced Williams and Collins replaced Steele. Also the offense as a whole went to pure hell. Are they related? Guess that's subject to debate in a large way.

Also.....I'm kinda confused.....do you like Biadasz and think he is fine as a starter or do you wish for an upgrade?