Game Observations

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
various:
Contain is an issue because of scheme and player integrity. DLaw is their best contain edge by far. Griffin was diving inside on every pass rush because that's his best move but it left a huge gap on the outside.
Lane fits are far better on defense now. DTs are doing their job and Jaylon doesn't freelance/gamble next to LVE. Cook is REALLY good right now and they kept popping him.
OL was far better because you didn't have a turnstile out there at RT.
Next week will be a very real test for them.
Wilson is a big play guy but he has to avoid busted plays. They've gotten him a couple times this season already and he was known for that in college.
Kellen called a good game.
Main thing was the team competed. These teams were about equal in talent and it took a constant effort to get the win.

Kaiser

Reaction score
You can add Brandon Knight into that mix as well. I can't envision them taking a offensive lineman except Sewell with a top 50 pick, unless a high value player falls into their laps, kind of like when they drafted McGovern.

Yup, but IMO Knight competes for the 4th OT spot and not the 3rd.

McGovern could make it interesting next year if/when Tyron and Collins are healthy, they will have Williams, Biadasz and McGovern for two spots. Not that I expect McGovern to start, but he could be starting quality by then. He looked like he was yesterday.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Vikings have serious defensive injury concerns,the real test the will be the Skins Dline.We still canr contain the run and the skins showed they can beat us just with the run game.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
why do they always have to simplify the plan? are the players intellectually challenged?

Maybe not all of them but likely, enough to make it a problem. Eventually, they might be forced to fire Mike Nolan, or otherwise, the players who can't handle his schemes. I wouldn't be too surprised if the Cowboys don't insist upon their players being especially smart.

Last edited:

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Maybe not all of them but likely, enough to make it a problem. Eventually, they might be forced to fire Mike Nolan, or otherwise, the players who can't handle his schemes. I wouldn't be too surprised if the Cowboys don't insist upon their players being especially smart.
Maybe that's why we have been losing for yers

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Offensive line play and a few splash plays from the defense.
Daltons ball placement good to excellent outside of a couple throws.
Defense still got beat decisively in both pass and run but their bar of ineptitude has at least risen.
Moore's run calls with Zeke and Pollard much improved as well.

The running plays need a lot of work.

Almost all of Zeke's runs are in the A or B gap.

We need a new OL coach and the run plays need a refresh.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
-This was a litmus test for their run defense, they were improved, but still not good enough.

Some credit should be given to the back they faced. Only two teams have held him under 4 yards per carry, and only three have held him to a lower average than Dallas did.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I liked the Reggie Robinson sighting, to see one in the wild is a rare treat.

Ah, a common wildlife mistake. You've misidentified a Reshard Robinson for a Reggie Robinson. Reggie was inactive.

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
Ah, a common wildlife mistake. You've misidentified a Reshard Robinson for a Reggie Robinson. Reggie was inactive.

Yes, I saw that in another thread after I posted, so a Reggie sightng continues to elude me.

lockster

Reaction score
Maybe. Let's hope he'll continue to coach this defense into improving. He's simplified the defense to help them adjust this year. Hopefully, he won't make the same mistake Rob Ryan did and make the "D" too complex for our guys to handle next year. He's ok for now, though. ;)
Yeah, and he should have made changes far sooner. Who didn't see how bad Poe was first game? And how our guys don't fit 3/4 defense at all? Doesn't take a brain to figure that out. I've wanted Wilson from the get go, Thompson wasn't the answer, two games in should have had Wilson inserted. Good coordinators don't take losing this many games to figure out which players suck. J Smith is still on the field!!! What????? What???? He bongs as the best player in peewee league, that's about his level of brains and toughness. And maturity.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Some credit should be given to the back they faced. Only two teams have held him under 4 yards per carry, and only three have held him to a lower average than Dallas did.
It's a big improvement. They did a very good job in the 1st half, but once their passing game opened up, it became more challenging to commit as many to stop the run.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yup, but IMO Knight competes for the 4th OT spot and not the 3rd.

McGovern could make it interesting next year if/when Tyron and Collins are healthy, they will have Williams, Biadasz and McGovern for two spots. Not that I expect McGovern to start, but he could be starting quality by then. He looked like he was yesterday.
Knight as the #4 Tackle would be ideal. The way Erving has played, I hope they decided to bring him back. What is nice about our interior lineman is all can play Center if needed, even Connor Williams who I heard took reps in training camp at the position. Let's see how McGovern plays now with starter reps.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Zeke was nucleus of that win in Minny. Looked like 2016 sans the feed me schtick. Ball control is critical to help the DLine stay fresh.

Need Gallup to make the plays he missed on. Big catches in big moments are usually his forte.

If Sunday's OL can stay healthy, they will improve every week as a unit.

The secondary will be the undoing of this team. Too banged up and undermanned.

quickccc

Reaction score
Gotta give Philbin some props right? They’ve been mixing things up trying to get the right blend.

Yes, Kudos to the OL personnel and the OL coach himself.

Despite questions as why it took so long to finally adjust, the changes were made and OL still manage to be operational so that definitely helped the Offense and QB
be operational.

the band aid OL was very instrumental in Cowboys offense getting over 30 points (31) and rushing over 100+ yards with several big plays and production among the RBs
and QB Dalton getting into a mode where he was getting the ball to his receivers.

quickccc

Reaction score
Knight as the #4 Tackle would be ideal. The way Erving has played, I hope they decided to bring him back. What is nice about our interior lineman is all can play Center if needed, even Connor Williams who I heard took reps in training camp at the position. Let's see how McGovern plays now with starter reps.

- i'd hope to re-sign him.based off his surprising solid play at LT thus far, hard to believe that struggling rookie Steele beat Erving out at RT to start the season.
But don't be surprised if a team also pursues to sign Erving away as a possible starter. I don't recall his contract but I think it's a 1 year deal.
But I would like to bring Erving back as backup depth insurance.
It will be interested to see how he does vs Chase Young 2 days from now.

- Looney will be 31 yrs old next year. I don't see any NFL team pursuing him as a starting center but I can see him re-signing and playing out
his career here. Decent vet backup center.
I haven't seen Marcus Henry on practice squad or game day inactive. I tend to wonder if he is the stand by emergency center should Looney go down.
Even if it's Williams to take snaps if Looney's get hurts, who then becomes the emergency OG if Williams has to move over to center ?

- The only thing I wanted to see from McGovern was to get him significant playing time to see what we invested in him as a high rd pick.
I expect Martin to eventually return to RG next year but it's great for the coaches to switch the struggling Steele out , while inputting McGovern
into the starting lineup. I tend to wonder if there could've been a serious meeting about those two moves among the staff - not just the OL coach. (Philibin)

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
OL was much better. They must have put in a lot of work over the bye week on that, as wells other things.
Cowboys are improving each week. Takes more than a handful of games to repair Garrett's mess. Some fans need to be patient being they wouldn't be able to fix the mess at all!

Always easier yapping/complaining behind a keyboard.

Kaiser

Reaction score

I think Steele has a better shot at becoming that #4 next year than Knight but I'll take what I can get.

I watched the game again to semi-isolate on McGovern and he was dramatically better than he was against the Cardinals and Commanders. He was visibly lost and tentative in those games but Sunday he looked good in run blocking.

Some of that was clearly the scheme, they had him between two veterans didn’t have to adjust to mistakes around him. The scheme was clearly to beat the man in front of him and he consistently drove his man (Jaleel Johnson usually) back off the LOS. Some of that is fresh legs against tired defenders later in the season. But he clearly has the skills to be a starter down the road, they clearly simplified things for this game and he did fine in that kind of one on one.

Johnson did have a sack but he was lined up on Conner Williams for that play.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think Steele has a better shot at becoming that #4 next year than Knight but I'll take what I can get.

I watched the game again to semi-isolate on McGovern and he was dramatically better than he was against the Cardinals and Commanders. He was visibly lost and tentative in those games but Sunday he looked good in run blocking.

Some of that was clearly the scheme, they had him between two veterans didn’t have to adjust to mistakes around him. The scheme was clearly to beat the man in front of him and he consistently drove his man (Jaleel Johnson usually) back off the LOS. Some of that is fresh legs against tired defenders later in the season. But he clearly has the skills to be a starter down the road, they clearly simplified things for this game and he did fine in that kind of one on one.

Johnson did have a sack but he was lined up on Conner Williams for that play.

McGovern is suppose to be the better power player of the two Connor's. It makes sense that he was drafted when Columbo was here as he is a better fit in a man blocking scheme. McGovern needs reps to get better, like any other younger prospect. Playing in between two veterans should help him moving ahead this season.