Game Observations

Cowboyny

Reaction score
- i'd hope to re-sign him.based off his surprising solid play at LT thus far, hard to believe that struggling rookie Steele beat Erving out at RT to start the season.
But don't be surprised if a team also pursues to sign Erving away as a possible starter. I don't recall his contract but I think it's a 1 year deal.
But I would like to bring Erving back as backup depth insurance.
It will be interested to see how he does vs Chase Young 2 days from now.

- Looney will be 31 yrs old next year. I don't see any NFL team pursuing him as a starting center but I can see him re-signing and playing out
his career here. Decent vet backup center.
I haven't seen Marcus Henry on practice squad or game day inactive. I tend to wonder if he is the stand by emergency center should Looney go down.
Even if it's Williams to take snaps if Looney's get hurts, who then becomes the emergency OG if Williams has to move over to center ?

- The only thing I wanted to see from McGovern was to get him significant playing time to see what we invested in him as a high rd pick.
I expect Martin to eventually return to RG next year but it's great for the coaches to switch the struggling Steele out , while inputting McGovern
into the starting lineup. I tend to wonder if there could've been a serious meeting about those two moves among the staff - not just the OL coach. (Philibin)

-Erving looked like a total bust signing and has become a pleasant surprise. He also has the ability to play all OL positions, even Center. You would think with his success as a starter, he would be attractive as a fa. Excellent test this week for him and the entire OL.

-I thought the Giants would of been an attractive landing spot for Looney, but with Columbo gone, probably not now. He is a quality, interior, swing, backup lineman who can start in a pinch. I wonder if he will get any starter looks elsewhere. It will all be about his price. Could question who is the backup Center right now.

-It made zero sense to start an undrafted rookie over a day 2 second year player. Something did happen on their bye as all of sudden their plans changed. Let's see what McGovern can do with starter reps and if he could compete against Connor Williams next season to become the starter.

75boyz

Reaction score
The running plays need a lot of work.

Almost all of Zeke's runs are in the A or B gap.

We need a new OL coach and the run plays need a refresh.

Well, since both Oline play and overall defensive expectation levels had sunk so low that even the tiniest improvement becomes noteworthy, I guess there's that. Lol

But I agree that Moore's ability to mix in "new" (off of these existing olinemens' skillsets)run designs with pass will determine offensive success.

Not sure what to think of Columbo's firing in NY as I follow their squad closely from a msg board perspective on bigblueinteractive.com.

I'm kinda still a Callahan guy myself.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Knight as the #4 Tackle would be ideal. The way Erving has played, I hope they decided to bring him back. What is nice about our interior lineman is all can play Center if needed, even Connor Williams who I heard took reps in training camp at the position. Let's see how McGovern plays now with starter reps.

Yeah, at this point Williams has a 100 times better technique but Williams will get run over by the power guys. McGovern has a long ways to go but I'd like to see the two compete for a starting job next year with the loser taking the Joe Looney super sub role.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yeah, at this point Williams has a 100 times better technique but Williams will get run over by the power guys. McGovern has a long ways to go but I'd like to see the two compete for a starting job next year with the loser taking the Joe Looney super sub role.

The need is certainly less within the interior, then finding a future starting caliber Tackle.

Verdict

Reaction score
Knight as the #4 Tackle would be ideal. The way Erving has played, I hope they decided to bring him back. What is nice about our interior lineman is all can play Center if needed, even Connor Williams who I heard took reps in training camp at the position. Let's see how McGovern plays now with starter reps.
Ideally, you would fins Tyron's replacement in the draft (probably first round) and Knight would be your 5th OT on the roster, and someone gets flipped for a pick.

Verdict

Reaction score
-Erving looked like a total bust signing and has become a pleasant surprise. He also has the ability to play all OL positions, even Center. You would think with his success as a starter, he would be attractive as a fa. Excellent test this week for him and the entire OL.

-I thought the Giants would of been an attractive landing spot for Looney, but with Columbo gone, probably not now. He is a quality, interior, swing, backup lineman who can start in a pinch. I wonder if he will get any starter looks elsewhere. It will all be about his price. Could question who is the backup Center right now.

-It made zero sense to start an undrafted rookie over a day 2 second year player. Something did happen on their bye as all of sudden their plans changed. Let's see what McGovern can do with starter reps and if he could compete against Connor Williams next season to become the starter.

I think McGovern is already better than CW. I don't get the CW love here.

quickccc

Reaction score

- Erving was a former 1st round pick of Cleveland. But has never played up to the level of expected as a 1st round pick starter.
His play has been more serviceable at best, and has never elevated into stellar play.
He's somewhat of a been Conner Williams version of a expected player.
It hurt Cleveland because they already had invested such a high price in him and it failed.
It doesn't hurt us, because a career underachiever is turning out to be a pleasant surprise pressed into the role of a starter, when it started
out very rough for him since camp.

- In Steele, it made no sense to start an " struggling" rookie for this long. I don't look down on Steele simply because he's an undrafted rookie.
If his play exceeded expectations then i'd more than welcome him. But it didn't. He struggled with every passing game this year
and never improved as season went on. i'd wonder if his blocking stats reflected at least one sack per game along with several QB hits or hurries.
Plus he wasn't a sound run blocker on the edge either.

- But Philibin obviously either loved so much what scouts liked about the undrafted Steele: Athleticism and Length.
or was so determined Not to like Erving and Knight,.. until he had no choice but to resort to them.
Ditto with McGovern as well.

lockster

Reaction score
I thought Steele did a great job being an undrafted rookie. This guy has the ability to be big time if he keeps working at it. He's a big ole boy. He didn't get knocked on his butt like Larry Allen did his rookie year.