Game of Thrones Season 3

Derekmtl85

Reaction score
For the book readers, the titles of each episode have been released...Not really spoilers, just interesting to read.

Ep. 301 – Valar Dohaeris
Ep. 302 – Dark Wings, Dark Words
Ep. 303 – Walk of Punishment
Ep. 304 – And Now His Watch is Ended
Ep. 305 – Kissed by Fire
Ep. 306 – to be determined
Ep. 307 – The Bear and the Maiden Fair (Written by GRRM)
Ep. 308 – to be determined
Ep. 309 – The Rains of Castamere
Ep. 310 – Mhysa

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Derekmtl85;5037221 said:
For the book readers, the titles of each episode have been released...Not really spoilers, just interesting to read.

Ep. 301 – Valar Dohaeris
Ep. 302 – Dark Wings, Dark Words
Ep. 303 – Walk of Punishment
Ep. 304 – And Now His Watch is Ended
Ep. 305 – Kissed by Fire
Ep. 306 – to be determined
Ep. 307 – The Bear and the Maiden Fair (Written by GRRM)
Ep. 308 – to be determined
Ep. 309 – The Rains of Castamere
Ep. 310 – Mhysa

Confirms what I heard awhile back. Going to be one episode that is particularly interesting. Oh what the reactions will be the next day.

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
CowboyGil;5034706 said:
Never seen the show, but read all the books except for the last one because of all the horrible reviews. That was really disappointing because I was looking forward to the conclusion, but according to the reviews it still doesn't end after 5 books.:(

Unfortunately, George R.R. Martin seems to have fallen into the same trap "The Wheel of Time" series did. The publishers have gotten the author to extend the series out because of it being such a cash cow. This leads to some huge sized books being nothing more than filler. Nothing really substantial happens. That's what I feel like the last book was. Martin was just writing filler (probably why it took him so long to finish writing the last book - boring even to him) trying to extend his story.

I'm hopeful he will get back on track next book and get back to what made the series up till then very good IMO.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Dhragon;5037720 said:
Unfortunately, George R.R. Martin seems to have fallen into the same trap "The Wheel of Time" series did. The publishers have gotten the author to extend the series out because of it being such a cash cow. This leads to some huge sized books being nothing more than filler. Nothing really substantial happens. That's what I feel like the last book was. Martin was just writing filler (probably why it took him so long to finish writing the last book - boring even to him) trying to extend his story.

I'm hopeful he will get back on track next book and get back to what made the series up till then very good IMO.
Is that actually what happened in Wheel of Time? I actually agree that 7,8,9 are a bit of filler, but the stuff is still interesting because there is a lot of progressions there.

I thought I read somewhere that Robert Jordan liked pumping out lots of books and extending the series. Said something along the lines of "I don't care if the final book is 1,000 pages long, it's going to be right"

I mean he's dead now so who knows, and I've only managed to read the first nine.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
CowboyGil;5034706 said:
Never seen the show, but read all the books except for the last one because of all the horrible reviews. That was really disappointing because I was looking forward to the conclusion, but according to the reviews it still doesn't end after 5 books.:(

So let me get this straight.........you read 3,100+ pages over four books, which takes a long long time to do, and then decide to not read the 5th one because of reviews you read?

:huh:

Teren_Kanan

Reaction score
Dhragon;5037720 said:

As someone who's been following the series since the second book (late 90's), I don't believe this is the case even for a second. That's just how Martin is. ASOIAF is his baby and he's taking his time with it. The first 3 novels made him extremely popular and he's involved in a lot of other projects. ASOIAF aren't the only books his writes, or works with.

The last book took him so long to write because he wrote himself into a corner. He called this the Meereenese Knot. He had a lot of difficulty with the events in Meereen, and the order in which characters showed up. He had to change a lot of stuff for the continuity to work correctly.

The 4th and 5th book were supposed to be 1 novel (which is why they are pretty much written the same way), which were separated because they got too large. They got too large because there was initially going to be a Time Skip of 5 years in his book. He scrubbed the time skip because he couldn't come up with a satisfying reason for why the White Walkers would wait 5 years to invade.

The 4th/5th book are the "Middle" section of the overall story. This is where the Time skip would have taken place. Due to it not happening, he has to show stuff he didn't originally plan to write outside of flashbacks etc. They are less eventful than the first 3 books because they are like the Interlude. First 3 = War of the 5 Kings. Now the stage is being set for whatever comes in the next 2 books.

I found Feast for Crows to be somewhat boring mostly due to the lack of several characters. Dance with Dragons however I loved.

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score
i really need to watch these series. ive been hearing nothing but great things.

question though,

should i watch seasons 1 and 2 before watching 3? or can i just start 3 and watch seasons 1 and 2 later?

p.s. kinda off topic a bit but ive been into house of lies which is pretty good considering im not much of a don cheadle fan

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Supercowboy1986;5038211 said:

question though,

should i watch seasons 1 and 2 before watching 3? or can i just start 3 and watch seasons 1 and 2 later?

p.s. kinda off topic a bit but ive been into house of lies which is pretty good considering im not much of a don cheadle fan

Best to start with the first season.

Smith22

Reaction score
Supercowboy1986;5038211 said:

question though,

Watch from the beginning without a doubt.

Smith22

Reaction score
Opening episode was a bit slow but it picked up over the last 25 minutes or so.

I enjoyed it.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Smith22;5038375 said:
Opening episode was a bit slow but it picked up over the last 25 minutes or so.

I enjoyed it.
Agreed. I think it was all necessary though. Would probably have preferred a bit of action, but with so many stories going on, GoT needs to have an episode to set everything up.

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
Future;5037734 said:
Is that actually what happened in Wheel of Time? I actually agree that 7,8,9 are a bit of filler, but the stuff is still interesting because there is a lot of progressions there.

I thought I read somewhere that Robert Jordan liked pumping out lots of books and extending the series. Said something along the lines of "I don't care if the final book is 1,000 pages long, it's going to be right"

I mean he's dead now so who knows, and I've only managed to read the first nine.

I read the first 6 or 7, got fed up with it and only recently started back reading it starting with volume 12 (since it ends now with vol. 14). Enjoyed it and am now into that last book now. Not surprising to me though, I missed very little I needed to know skipping those 5 or 6 middle books.

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
Teren_Kanan;5038157 said:
As someone who's been following the series since the second book (late 90's), I don't believe this is the case even for a second. That's just how Martin is. ASOIAF is his baby and he's taking his time with it. The first 3 novels made him extremely popular and he's involved in a lot of other projects. ASOIAF aren't the only books his writes, or works with.

The last book took him so long to write because he wrote himself into a corner. He called this the Meereenese Knot. He had a lot of difficulty with the events in Meereen, and the order in which characters showed up. He had to change a lot of stuff for the continuity to work correctly.

The 4th and 5th book were supposed to be 1 novel (which is why they are pretty much written the same way), which were separated because they got too large. They got too large because there was initially going to be a Time Skip of 5 years in his book. He scrubbed the time skip because he couldn't come up with a satisfying reason for why the White Walkers would wait 5 years to invade.

The 4th/5th book are the "Middle" section of the overall story. This is where the Time skip would have taken place. Due to it not happening, he has to show stuff he didn't originally plan to write outside of flashbacks etc. They are less eventful than the first 3 books because they are like the Interlude. First 3 = War of the 5 Kings. Now the stage is being set for whatever comes in the next 2 books.

I found Feast for Crows to be somewhat boring mostly due to the lack of several characters. Dance with Dragons however I loved.

Neither Feast of Crows nor Dance with Dragons were anything close to as good as the first few books. I won't post specifics for those who haven't read them all or don't want spoilers for the TV show but let's just say there aren't nearly as many surprising twists in the last two and IMO too many other characters are being introduced, diluting the main handful of core characters who really matter.

I absolutely love the characters of Tyrion, Jaime (after his injury - when he become less a ), Jon, Daenaerys, Arya, and a few others but in the latest books Martin has been crowding the books with other characters who just aren't as interesting IMO (your opinions may very well vary on this), leaving much less chapters for the really interesting characters I'm already invested in. Same happened to me in the Wheel of Time series.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
You need to put spoiler tags around some of that which hasn't happened yet. Or just remove that part altogether.

CowboyGil

Reaction score
HowAboutThemCowboys;5038085 said:
So let me get this straight.........you read 3,100+ pages over four books, which takes a long long time to do, and then decide to not read the 5th one because of reviews you read?

:huh:
Probably will read the 5th one eventually.Reading something else right now.

NorthTexan95

Reaction score
I don't have HBO so I just finished watching the first two seasons online and probably won't watch the third season until it appears on Amazon.

The first two seasons were good but it all seems to boil down to a few themes: bad people win, good people do stupid things. By the end of the second season I was ready to cheer for the Lanisters since they are the only ones who seem competent.

I also think that the series suffers from not being able to tell the entire story due to the limitations of TV vs. books. There are some things that happen which just aren't explained.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Interesting, I just read that this season will only cover the first half of "A Storm of Swords". I was really wondering how they were going to fit everything into ten episodes with the massive amount of characters they needed to follow in this book. I really hope they do this thing justice because it was an amazing novel.

ethiostar

Reaction score
This is pretty cool.

[youtube]a2TQHjo3xzQ[/youtube]

I love that voice.

Derekmtl85

Reaction score
Joe Rod;5043196 said:
Interesting, I just read that this season will only cover the first half of "A Storm of Swords". I was really wondering how they were going to fit everything into ten episodes with the massive amount of characters they needed to follow in this book. I really hope they do this thing justice because it was an amazing novel.

They will do 3/4's of the book, the other 1/4 will be in season 4 with A Feast For Crows.