Game turned when they put Zeke back in for Pollard

starfan1

Reaction score
I thought Zeke ran pretty dang well for a RB who, reportedly, had a hamstring pull. :muttley:

Sure, he may not be "elite" any more but he's still pretty good, imho. He's overpaid, tho!
I think your right about playing ok with hamstring pull. I wonder why Dak never got benefit of the doubt when playing philly last year

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Looked pretty bad trying catch that pass at the end of the game. Something I am always told we need to do more of because he is such a great receiver. IMHO he is one of the worst RBs ever to try to catch passes out of the backfield this year.

I suspect part of it is not working on his craft. The best players always work on getting better and improving. Zeke just seems to have hit a wall where he flat out does not care anymore.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Zeke defenders will go to their grave holding on to false excuses why their guy isn’t what he used to be.

I don’t dislike Zeke. I WISH he performed better than he does. But reality is not something you can excuse away. Pollard may not be our long term every-down back, but Zeke shouldn’t be, either.

Cmac

Reaction score
Did I say the zeke turned when they put Pollard in? Can you quote me on that because I don’t recall saying that, I think you’re just making assumptions because I call zeke out on plenty of things that he should be held accountable for.

Why do you keep making this about being jealous of his money? Are you familiar with the salary cap? Are you familiar with how many teams who have drafted and paid a RB big money have regretted it? Do you think he’s earned his pay check? You better say yes or you’re a hypocrite and must be jealous of his wallet. If you cared about this teams success you would be disgusted with his contract as well but you seem to care more about the player than the team.

Aria....the title of the thread is Game turned when they put Zeke back in for Pollard. I wondered what the reference of 2nd highest paid have to do with the thread? Your reference to pay......again.

aria

Reaction score
Aria....the title of the thread is Game turned when they put Zeke back in for Pollard. I wondered what the reference of 2nd highest paid have to do with the thread? Your reference to pay......again.
As you know, most threads diverge into several topics, I never specifically said when he came in the momentum of the game changed but you implied I did.

Would you be ok with Dak setting a new QB record and making 55 million a year for 3 years?

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
This decision is stemming from the owner's box. I am pretty sure Pollard would get more carries on another team. You go with the hot hand.
Not when you overpay for a RB and don't want to look stupid.

OldJarhead

Reaction score
Momentum seemed to have shifted.......................Cowboys were driving down the field and Pollard had just busted loose for couple of nice 18-20 yard runs. 2 more than Zeke has had in 3 years. It looked like Pollard was just primed to break one more tackle he would take it to the house.

Then they got stupid and put Zeke back in. And that's where it all stalled. If Pollard plays 80% of the game, the Cowboys win.

Anyone see the ball bounce right off stone hands chest on the 10 yard out on that final drive?

Why they continue to feature Zeke in the run game remains a big mystery.

Pollard: 9 carries for 57 yards.........6.3 average (Looked like he was just getting warmed up)

Zeke Idiot: 18 carries for 2.8 yards

Ya know, I too watched the game and while yes, Pollard had more yards, he seems to go down on 1st contact A LOT. Also, he had several negative yard runs. He did have 3 runs of over 10 yards, but two of those were followed by a loss of yards on the next play.

My point is this, #21 should be the engine of this offense. He was the reason this team was so good his rookie year but due to politics and what have you #4 got all the credit. Even without the stellar o-line that was put together and now needs rebuilding, he has performed well, not spectacularly, but well. I feel he should touch the ball more than 20 times a game. This defense is not good enough, hasn't been good enough, for a quick scoring, high speed offense. This team need to be about ball and clock control, no matter who the QB is.

It really doesn't matter though, as long as the mad hatter is the Owner/Pres/GM/HC.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Ya know, I too watched the game and while yes, Pollard had more yards, he seems to go down on 1st contact A LOT. Also, he had several negative yard runs. He did have 3 runs of over 10 yards, but two of those were followed by a loss of yards on the next play.

My point is this, #21 should be the engine of this offense. He was the reason this team was so good his rookie year but due to politics and what have you #4 got all the credit. Even without the stellar o-line that was put together and now needs rebuilding, he has performed well, not spectacularly, but well. I feel he should touch the ball more than 20 times a game. This defense is not good enough, hasn't been good enough, for a quick scoring, high speed offense. This team need to be about ball and clock control, no matter who the QB is.

It really doesn't matter though, as long as the mad hatter is the Owner/Pres/GM/HC.

Yards After Contact Comparison (data only goes back to 2018)

Zeke Elliott
2018 2.0 Avg. YAC
2019 2.3
2020 1.8

Tony Pollard
2019 3.6 Avg. YAC
2020 1.9

HonoluluCowboy

Reaction score
Momentum seemed to have shifted.......................Cowboys were driving down the field and Pollard had just busted loose for couple of nice 18-20 yard runs. 2 more than Zeke has had in 3 years. It looked like Pollard was just primed to break one more tackle he would take it to the house.

Then they got stupid and put Zeke back in. And that's where it all stalled. If Pollard plays 80% of the game, the Cowboys win.

Anyone see the ball bounce right off stone hands chest on the 10 yard out on that final drive?

Pollard: 9 carries for 57 yards.........6.3 average (Looked like he was just getting warmed up)

Again , I love Zeke . but Pollard should be the man fo sho

Cmac

Reaction score
As you know, most threads diverge into several topics, I never specifically said when he came in the momentum of the game changed but you implied I did.

Would you be ok with Dak setting a new QB record and making 55 million a year for 3 years?
Too funny....another reference to $$$, but Dak this time.........I'm beginning to think you're into the skill of pick-pocket. Just checked for my wallet. Too funny.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
i don't know what's gotten into zeke, but Pollard looks way more explosive
This has been the case for years, fans were either in denial or just didn't know how to evaluate RBs at all.

He's been an average back for a long time. Worse than average currently.

aria

Reaction score
Too funny....another reference to $$$, but Dak this time.........I'm beginning to think you're into the skill of pick-pocket. Just checked for my wallet. Too funny.
Will you just answer the question? I’m sure you’re too cheap, I wouldn’t waste my time on your wallet.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

Lol this is so cringe worthy.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Pollard looks like he’s shot out of a cannon when he takes a hand off, I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a RB go from 0 to 60 as fast as Pollard does.

There's plenty in the league just as quick, and even more quick, but Pollard has the benefit of spelling one of the least explosive RBs in the league.

aikemirv

Reaction score

Really no truth to this:

Pollard did have 3 very nice runs 12,20 and 23

6 more runs for 2 yards total.

Game turned on the decision to go away from the run and we threw a pick and on the decision to kick FG on 4th and inches when Zeke almost picked up a 3rd and 9 on the ground!

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Lol this is so cringe worthy.
It's also 100% true. Pollard was dropped for a loss 3 times and since I looked last night they have changed one of his runs to a no gain.. So 0 or less on 4 of his 9 carries. Good luck sustaining any kind of offense with that kind of production. He was equally likely to get stuffed for a loss as he was to break a big one. You can't win like that. At least not consistently. I have said repeatedly that Pollard's style is actually better suited for the offense the way it's currently being run. We can't block inside so our best chance for a big run is getting to the edge and hamstrung Zeke aint gittin to the edges with any regularity. If we are not going to be a power running team then we don't need a power back.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
First of all your definition of a "big play" is off. In the NFL they consider any run over 10 yards a big play. Don't take my word for it.. look it up for yourself. Throwing out this imaginary barrier of 40+ yard runs makes no sense. Those are rare for nearly all backs... and simply is NOT how you gauge a back's effectiveness. It's a small part but it's hardly the end all be all. Consistent production is far more valuable than occasional flash and dash. I'm sorry it's not as sexy to watch a team march down the field methodically with 3,5,4,6,5,4 yards on runs but that's more conducive to winning football than a guy who goes 1,2,-2, 0,-3, 50. The first guy would have 27 yards after 6 carries.. The second guy would have 48 yards after 6 carries. Who's having the better game? Mind you the first guy's team stayed in 3rd and manageable the whole drive and cashed it in for points.. The second guy's team was in third and long and punted twice before his big run.
This. Only one RB this season has more than one 40+ yard carry. Miles Sanders. Daniel Jones, yes Daniel Jones, is the only other player in the league with multiple 40 yd runs. 20+ yd runs is probably a better indicator of "big play" runs. When you look at those runs, only 3 RB's have more than 5 or more 20+ yd runs. Chubb, Kamara and Cook.

Cmac

Reaction score
Will you just answer the question? I’m sure you’re too cheap, I wouldn’t waste my time on your wallet.
Govt-takes-your-money-300x200.jpg