Garrett’s reaction to the Kellen Moore hype

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett cannot come out the winner from this unless he goes to the super bowl or the Conference Final .

1-The offense will most probably improve over last year , which means Garrett has not picked the right coordinators until Moore was forced on him. Which weakens Garrett even more.

2- This means Garrett is expendable and was actually the reason for the offensive shortcomings. Moore could become the coach if Garrett is fired and Sean Payton is not available.

both cases , Garrett has to go if a SB/CCG is not achieved.

Jerry believes Moore is the next McVay . Jerry is upset that his buddy ,Stan Kreonke , owner of the Rams, and a fellow billionaire , who ownes multiple teams in the USA and England ( Aresenal Soccer Club) has managed to reach the super bowl and beat the cowboys convincingly in such a short time , while Kroenke found a rookie young coach and reached in the SB in 2 years , after a big turnaround . This must play on Jerry's psyche and affects his confidence in Garrett , his long term protege that never seems to pan out. In the Billionaires' club world, the only thing they worry about is achievement, bragging ,hubris among themselves. Jerry wants to beat out some of his rival billionaires : Kraft , Kronke,. Cuban, etc.

There are a couple of flaws in this thinking.

The first is that it treats last year as the norm, and anything better this year as the anomaly, when they actually had some high yardage/high scoring offenses with Linehan and even Garrett at OC.

The other flaw is in thinking that an improved offense with Moore at OC means the head coach is expendable, however a lot of head coaches, including highly successful ones, are the upper level manager while others are more directly responsible for running the offense and defense.

Mind you I’m not saying this because I am all on board with Garrett, and in fact I have favored replacing him, but the reasons given here would not influence my thinking.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
A few years back, I remember a pretty in depth discussion about Jason's play calling. At the time, we could see that JG would sometimes make the most brilliant playcalls, but overall just didn't get the flow of the game. Lots of strange playcalls that just didn't make any sense. The line of thought was that JG might make a good advisor to the OC, one who can throw some ideas out there, but needs a football saavy mind to put them into use. My hope is that Moore is that guy. No, we do not know one way or the other at present.

What brilliant play calls where those because I missed them.

Its the same, conservative, cookie cutter gameplans and play calling all the way back to early Romo.

Im not sure we have even won a game without Romo or Dak. Any average QB and he looses.

Its takes him until a total meltdown to make a change or adjust his offenses.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Its the same, conservative, cookie cutter gameplans and play calling all the way back to early Romo.

Im not sure we have even won a game without Romo or Dak. Any average QB and he looses.

Cassell, Johnson and Kitna have all won games at QB for Dallas since Romo’s early days. 2015 was a disaster without Romo, but 2015 and 2010 are really the only seasons since Rome became the starter where we’ve had to play much without either Romo or Dak.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This whole situation brings back into light the albatross that hangs around everyone on this coaching staff and front office not named Jones. The owner/GM is the hub of everything. Everything that has been learned about organizational “best practices” for a championship NFL team goes out the window season by season because of Jerry’s stubborn refusal to delegate real authority and the other companion that goes with it- real accountability.

Look at how Jerry has dealt with Garrett- he treats him like a immature nephew or step son he’s trying to protect rather than a grown man with freedom to run the team as he sees fit as well as the accountability for failure that normally comes with the job. Most NFL HCs don’t get 9 years to try and win something besides a wild card round playoff game. This is just weird stuff we fans have to accept with Jerral Wayne Jones wanting to always be the belle of the ball.

It’s a crazy way to run a professional sports team- especially if you want to win a championship.
He really doesn't get it. What other GM's are making comments about the coaching staff? Especially, an assistant coach? Even the HC's don't make comments to the media about their coaches.

This isn't about the Dallas Cowboys and hasn't been in a long time. The team is nothing more than a conduit for celebrity status of an ego driven man. He doesn't even bother to be prepared with what he's going to say and just shoots form the lip.

He's learned nothing. Why does he feel the media felt so at ease when the team was coming undone and "reliable sources" were feeding ESPN? He's made his team the most media friendly team in all of sports. Initially, that was out of the need for free promotion to get into the black but it turned into some kind of ego trip and celebrity status for him.

What GM would not only not allow his HC to raise the fines for players being late or even missing team meetings but actually give them a "media pass" for some interview obligation?

I was in an industry for years, radio, that was notorious for style over substance, promotion beyond product and that's exactly what he became. When his team was coming apart at the seams and only too glad to lose the final game 44-6 to the hated Eagles just to be done with the season, he never understood that was all his fault. While he was personally getting off on granting interviews and loving his self importance he didn't understand what he was doing to his team. A team, that most of the players view the media as the enemy, that the owner allows more media access to than any other owner. And that's not for promoting the brand, the Dallas Cowboys, that's for promoting the man.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Cassell, Johnson and Kitna have all won games at QB for Dallas since Romo’s early days. 2015 was a disaster without Romo, but 2015 and 2010 are really the only seasons since Rome became the starter where we’ve had to play much without either Romo or Dak.
Right..

In 2010 we actually went 5-3 when Garrett took over without Romo. Only HC to have a winning record in Romo era when he was out.

In 2015 if we’d had anything more than one of our most futile defenses in Cowboy history we’d of won more games with Cassel and probably even Weeden.

Dak stepped into a team in 2016 that with Romo was expected to take up where it left off in 2014 assuming Elliott would fill Murray’s shoes.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The first is that it treats last year as the norm, and anything better this year as the anomaly, when they actually had some high yardage/high scoring offenses with Linehan and even Garrett at OC.

The other flaw is in thinking that an improved offense with Moore at OC means the head coach is expendable, however a lot of head coaches, including highly successful ones, are the upper level manager while others are more directly responsible for running the offense and defense.

Mind you I’m not saying this because I am all on board with Garrett, and in fact I have favored replacing him, but the reasons given here would not influence my thinking.
You’re right that Garrett has had some good offensive production while OC and as as HC. But that was mostly in the past, as in 2007-2016 (with some off years) But the problem now is the last 2 seasons, the Garrett offense has become as predictable and unimaginative as there is in the league. Creative is not a word anyone could associate these days with a Jason Garrett offense. Maybe that will change, but I have doubts.

One major truth about having consistent success the NFL is coaches must be able to adapt to rapidly changing circumstances. Both in season and during games. Some of the most successful coaches in this league the last 50+ years were the most creative and adaptable, taking chances on new ideas. Guys like Lombardi, Landry, Don Coryell, Hank Stram, Bill Walsh, Joe Gibbs, and especially creative minds today like Belichick, Sean Payton, Andy Reid, and even Sean McVey.

Good NFL HCs are always adding new wrinkles, challenging conventional thinking, and taking occasional risks “against the grain” to what everyone else is doing. Tom Landry exemplified this. He reintroduced the shotgun formation in 1975 when no other NFL teams were doing it, and with Roger Staubach’s skill set, they torched the league with it because no one expected it.

I can’t think of a single time a Garrett offense rolled out a new wrinkle that has consistently caught the league off guard. In fact, after watching JG for many years as OC and later HC, I just don’t think he has any creative DNA in him. Which reinforces the need for him to have a creative mind as his OC. I’m hoping he’s smart enough to see that if Moore is a talented young, creative mind that can add a new dimension to a stagnant offense, he should roll out the red carpet to utilize it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
How much of our offense issues could be our QB?

We had a top 10 offense in this Garrett offense with Romo and a 22nd offense now with Dak.

Both QB had a league leading RB, WR1 and Pro Bowl caliber OL.

Same HC and OC.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
In a very interesting article yesterday by Kevin Sherrington, (of that Dallas newspaper we cannot mention) Jason Garrett is going out of his way this week to ensure that Kellen Moore is NOT perceived as getting too much credit for the “new” offense or that Moore is in total control of the Cowboys offense in 2019.

According to Sherrington, Garrett has more than once this week been careful to say publicly he is (quoting Sherrington) “less interested in a Sean McVay starter kit than in implying the new guy hasn't reinvented anything.”

In his press conference Thursday, when describing the changes being made to the offense this year, Garrett on 3 occasions said, “this work is collaborative.” Some other interesting Garrett quotes from that press conference : "He's (Moore) been with us a few years and he has a good feel for how we want to do things"; "He's not doing it by himself"; and "he’s Injecting some new ideas and finding some old ideas” ... “making it collaborative” ... “to go with what this offense is going to be all about,” and “We’re not recreating our base offense”.

Does this sound like a guy who has turned the keys to the offense over to Kellen Moore?

Whatever Garrett thinks about “his offense”, it was crystal clear last year that something new was needed. Even with the much needed improvement at mid-season from the Amari Cooper trade, the Cowboys finished 22nd in scoring last year. That was the lowest of any other team that made the playoffs. Since 2016, when the Cowboys offense bludgeoned its opponents, the offense has been the most predictable and easy to prepare for in the NFL (Just ask the rams) It’s pretty obvious changes are needed.

So this raises some key questions:
1. Is this Garrett’s message to Kellen Moore or to fans and the media?
2. Why is Garrett so intent on saying publicly that this is still “his offense”?
3. Is Garrett feeling threatened by the presence of Kellen Moore and if so, why?

So far this offseason, the biggest question going into the 2019 season seems to be centered on how much change and new ideas Garrett will allow young Kellen Moore to inject. And...is Garrett feeling threatened?

4. Garrett is an idiot.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
4. Garrett is an idiot.
He might just be a football idiot.

Garrett reminds me of an actor. One that can memorize his lines but does not really understand how they fit into the story. He can deliver them at any time, even out of sequence, but has a problem with understanding how the parts make up the whole. And If the screenwriter makes some last minute changes, in game adjustments, he's still stuck with the lines he's memorized. And that's the key, memorized. He's memorized these plays over his playing and coaching career but has he truly understood the meaning and timing of them?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How much of our offense issues could be our QB?

We had a top 10 offense in this Garrett offense with Romo and a 22nd offense now with Dak.

Both QB had a league leading RB, WR1 and Pro Bowl caliber OL.

Same HC and OC.
Of course we had a top 5 offense with the same QB in 2016. Time will tell what the norm is

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Some like to hold Garrett up as some sort of Saint. Guy is a snake. He kneecaps coaches with regularity. You all have worked with these types before. Can’t do the job. Can’t stand on their own merits. Answer: tear others down.

Old story. Garrett is a fraud.

kskboys

Reaction score
I do think that. Crazy, right?
Not that's it's relevant, but I wouldn't be shocked if he did.

Why? Like Jason or not, he is not petty. If he thought Moore was the right guy and ready to be promoted, he would promote him. JG is straightforward and does have a good mind. It's my belief that his mind is simply better for the front office, as in GM. That's the plan I see for him. Pure conjecture, yes.

kskboys

Reaction score

I wish you would've been in on the discussion back then. It was very enlightening.

It's not even cookie cutter. Jason is notorious for calling plays according to what he wants to call w/o utilizing players' skillsets to the max. For example, Miles Austin. Miles was one of the best YAC WR's in the NFL. He was awesome at taking short/mid stuff and racking up YAC. So, how did JG react? By sending him deep. Which made zero sense. Miles was terrible at tracking the ball over his shoulder and adjusting to the flight of the ball. Just not his strength. Don't get me wrong, every receiver should be sent deep at times just to mix things up. However, sending a WR deep who has questionable hands and poor tracking ability is just beyond foolish.

basel90

Reaction score

But don’t you think Moore was JJ and Stephen’s pick , not jason’s Pick? Nothing new here .

The offense last year improved a bit with copper and zeke doing well , but not due to garrets’s coaching acumen . JJ thinks ( probably corectly) that he saved the season with the Cooper signing.

I

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not that's it's relevant, but I wouldn't be shocked if he did.

Why? Like Jason or not, he is not petty. If he thought Moore was the right guy and ready to be promoted, he would promote him. JG is straightforward and does have a good mind. It's my belief that his mind is simply better for the front office, as in GM. That's the plan I see for him. Pure conjecture, yes.

It’s an absurd anti-Garrett fantasy that has Jerry appointing Moore as OC against his HC’s wishes. I mean, it’s just a really dumb thing to believe.

kskboys

Reaction score
He might just be a football idiot.

Garrett reminds me of an actor. One that can memorize his lines but does not really understand how they fit into the story. He can deliver them at any time, even out of sequence, but has a problem with understanding how the parts make up the whole. And If the screenwriter makes some last minute changes, in game adjustments, he's still stuck with the lines he's memorized. And that's the key, memorized. He's memorized these plays over his playing and coaching career but has he truly understood the meaning and timing of them?
JG seems to be comprehending personnel, although the horrific Esco pick is still worrisome to this day. I wish he'd come out and tell us how he made that mistake and so would not make it again. That pick was just so horrific, for me to get behind JG, I just wanna know. And yes, I'm fully aware that if I'm behind him or not it doesn't matter worth a hill of beans!!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
It’s an absurd anti-Garrett fantasy that has Jerry appointing Moore as OC against his HC’s wishes. I mean, it’s just a really dumb thing to believe.
Hard to say. Jerry did fire JG's brother against his wishes, and did rip the playcalling duties from JG against his wishes.

However, those things are documented. The other appears to be just conjecture.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But don’t you think Moore was JJ and Stephen’s pick , not jason’s Pick? Nothing new here .

The offense last year improved a bit with copper and zeke doing well , but not due to garrets’s coaching acumen . JJ thinks ( probably corectly) that he saved the season with the Cooper signing.

I

I don’t know ii he was Garrett was or not, I just know that they at least were on board with it. But even so, I don’t know if that would change what I said. Them feeling we needed a change in the offense isn’t necessarily a sign they would look for a new head coach if the OC is successful. Odds are if the team has success the head coach will stay.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I wish you would've been in on the discussion back then. It was very enlightening.

It's not even cookie cutter. Jason is notorious for calling plays according to what he wants to call w/o utilizing players' skillsets to the max. For example, Miles Austin. Miles was one of the best YAC WR's in the NFL. He was awesome at taking short/mid stuff and racking up YAC. So, how did JG react? By sending him deep. Which made zero sense. Miles was terrible at tracking the ball over his shoulder and adjusting to the flight of the ball. Just not his strength. Don't get me wrong, every receiver should be sent deep at times just to mix things up. However, sending a WR deep who has questionable hands and poor tracking ability is just beyond foolish.

Yah, I wasn't on this board yet.

We could talk for days about all the horrid things Garrett has done on offense.

Do you remember when he would abandon the run in the first quarter every game when he was OC for Wade?

Or the GB game when we were up by 23 at halftime and Murray was rolling over the defense at 8 yards a clip?

Garrett came out after halftime with a 23 point lead and ONLY ran the ball 8 times the rest of the game. LOL

Romo threw 3 picks, 2 for TD's and we lost.

GB players were laughing after the game talking about how "going away from the run is just what the Cowboys do". "Thank you because we couldn't stop it".

Jones would completely condemn Garrett publicly also stating that "we could have basically kneeled down the entire 2nd half and won the game".

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yah, I wasn't on this board yet.

We could talk for days about all the horrid things Garrett has done on offense.

Do you remember when he would abandon the run in the first quarter every game when he was OC for Wade?

Or the GB game when we were up by 23 at halftime and Murray was rolling over the defense at 8 yards a clip?

Garrett came out after halftime with a 23 point lead and ONLY ran the ball 8 times the rest of the game. LOL

Romo threw 3 picks, 2 for TD's and we lost.

GB players were laughing after the game talking about how "going away from the run is just what the Cowboys do". "Thank you because we couldn't stop it".

Jones would completely condemn Garrett publicly also stating that "we could have basically kneeled down the entire 2nd half and won the game".

That was always my biggest complaint when JG was OC. I appreciate that he directed and allowed Linehan to have more discipline on that front than he did, but it’s puzzling how he couldn’t find it in himself to have that discipline himself when he was OC.