Garrett’s reaction to the Kellen Moore hype

408Cowboy

Reaction score
It’s an absurd anti-Garrett fantasy that has Jerry appointing Moore as OC against his HC’s wishes. I mean, it’s just a really dumb thing to believe.
You think Jerry isn't capable of doing that?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wish you would've been in on the discussion back then. It was very enlightening.

It's not even cookie cutter. Jason is notorious for calling plays according to what he wants to call w/o utilizing players' skillsets to the max. For example, Miles Austin. Miles was one of the best YAC WR's in the NFL. He was awesome at taking short/mid stuff and racking up YAC. So, how did JG react? By sending him deep. Which made zero sense. Miles was terrible at tracking the ball over his shoulder and adjusting to the flight of the ball. Just not his strength. Don't get me wrong, every receiver should be sent deep at times just to mix things up. However, sending a WR deep who has questionable hands and poor tracking ability is just beyond foolish.

And yet, our offenses were typically in the top ten under Garrett in terms of their points/series. Despite all the arm chair second-guessing.

Techsass

Reaction score
Dak stated as a rookie that he ran a lot of the same plays in college & was already familiar with most of them. I remember he had to actually practice how to take a snap from under center when he got here. My pea brain says that means Moore can use a lot of the same plays, but still make some drastic changes.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You think Jerry isn't capable of doing that?

He’s the owner. He’s capable of doing whatever he wants.

I think there’s not a shred of evidence that suggests he did, though.

kskboys

Reaction score
And yet, our offenses were typically in the top ten under Garrett in terms of their points/series. Despite all the arm chair second-guessing.
Absolutely. Because JG does understand how to run a quick strike O. What he doesn't get is the play to play effectiveness. Under JG, all too often we would attempt a 20-30 yard throw on first down. Problem is, if it wasn't successful we'd be facing 2nd and long, followed all too often by 3rd and long.

Jason does know how to rack up yardage. He just doesn't seem to understand TOP and down to down moving the ball. That's why he and Moore could turn out to be a good combo.

Fire407

Reaction score
Garrett of course has a winning record. Who wouldn't with the talent that this team has fielded. Felix Jones and DeMarco Murray were very good running backs. DeMarcus Ware was one of the greatest. Then you had Romo and Witten and a tremendous offensive line. The point is that ANYONE coaching the Cowboys would have a winning record now. It's what didn't happen that matters. We didn't get to the Super Bowl once since Garrett has been coaching. It's the missed potential that I and many others here see. I would say there's no excuses this year for not making it, but I've seen that that there are always excuses.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett of course has a winning record. Who wouldn't with the talent that this team has fielded. Felix Jones and DeMarco Murray were very good running backs. DeMarcus Ware was one of the greatest. Then you had Romo and Witten and a tremendous offensive line. The point is that ANYONE coaching the Cowboys would have a winning record now. It's what didn't happen that matters. We didn't get to the Super Bowl once since Garrett has been coaching. It's the missed potential that I and many others here see. I would say there's no excuses this year for not making it, but I've seen that that there are always excuses.

There was a time—as those seasons were happening—when nobody thought we could draft well or that those teams were very good. Now that the evidence is in that they produced at a fairly high level, the narrative has shifted to suggest they were actually talent-rich teams that were under coached.

The reality is that we’ve been consistently adding talent and developing it under Garrett. And that he’s generally gotten that talent to produce up to its level of ability. Even last season, where everybody is pissed we didn’t get into the final four. Nobody actually thought we were a top 5 team going into the year. We got beat by a consensus top-5 team in terms of preseason talent expectations. And why do people think that happened? Yep. Coaching.

Fire407

Reaction score
It’s an absurd anti-Garrett fantasy that has Jerry appointing Moore as OC against his HC’s wishes. I mean, it’s just a really dumb thing to believe.
I'm pretty sure that Wade didn't pick his OC. He had his OC forced on him and the OC was paid more than the HC. I don't think Garrett had any input on Moore being promoted. I think Jason feels threatened by Moore's promotion and rightfully so. Jerry is going to do what Jerry wants to do.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

And you're conversing with a Chief Architect.

The blame for the ultimately disappointing results lies anywhere and everywhere other than where it truly belongs, with Jason Garrett.

Some want to give him all of this credit for building the team (forget Will McClay, the scouts, and the Joneses), and yet can't then reconcile how a team chock full of talent (and they are) ultimately can't win when it truly matters most? That's the reality that they can't bear, that their hero can't get the job done.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm pretty sure that Wade didn't pick his OC. He had his OC forced on him and the OC was paid more than the HC. I don't think Garrett had any input on Moore being promoted. I think Jason feels threatened by Moore's promotion and rightfully so. Jerry is going to do what Jerry wants to do.

I think Moore was the "compromise" between Garrett and Jones, I don't think Garrett was forced to take him on as his offensive coordinator by mandate from Jerry.

Fire407

Reaction score
There was a time—as those seasons were happening—when nobody thought we could draft well or that those teams were very good. Now that the evidence is in that they produced at a fairly high level, the narrative has shifted to suggest they were actually talent-rich teams that were under coached.

The reality is that we’ve been consistently adding talent and developing it under Garrett. And that he’s generally gotten that talent to produce up to its level of ability. Even last season, where everybody is pissed we didn’t get into the final four. Nobody actually thought we were a top 5 team going into the year. We got beat by a consensus top-5 team in terms of preseason talent expectations. And why do people think that happened? Yep. Coaching.
You live in a different world than I do. How can you say that nobody thought those teams were very good. I believe most fans thought they were really good. I know I did. I honestly expected that we would have at least one or even two Super Bowls by now. We've had some really good talent over the past 10 years with wasted opportunities under Garrett.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
Jason garrett had no say in the firing of linehan or the hiring of moore Stephen jones took care of those details for him

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
Has this been proven? I admit, I do not know at this point. I had kinda thought Moore was JG's boy.
other than the fact garrett come out in a press conference and said the linehan was safe then Stephen jones said wait a minute in another press conference that thing were still be evaluated then next thing we know linehan is fired and moore is promoted

kskboys

Reaction score
other than the fact garrett come out in a press conference and said the linehan was safe then Stephen jones said wait a minute in another press conference that thing were still be evaluated then next thing we know linehan is fired and moore is promoted
I was shocked when I heard JG say that, for sure.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is no evidence to say JG didn’t have a hand in Moore getting the OC job either. All anyone can do is speculate.

Yet it doesn't stop some people from trying to make definitive statements on the matter when they have no idea.