Twitter: Garrett “no advice to give” to Judge about head coaching

visionary

Reaction score
The actual question.

Piggybacking on what Zach just asked you, you've now spent a whole summer with Joe Judge, is there anything that surprised you about him moving up to this role as a head coach for the first time and you've been a head coach for a long time in this league yourself do you have any advice you can give him going into his first game in his first year?

Jason Garrett's Response.

"No, it's just been a great experience for me to work for Joe, Great respect for him from afar, A lot of people I know who have been around him have said great things about him and that was a big draw for me in coming to New York taking the position that have and it's been great getting to know him again going back to the Vision of the program and vision of the football team, you know understanding what that is, having conversations with him about that and what we value together as a coaching staff and a football team those are really important. I think he has done a great job outlining that for all of us and getting everybody on the same page, alignment in an organization is critical, Everybody on the same page from ownership all the way through the organization, personnel people, coaching staff, players....getting everyone on the same page. That is such a big piece to having success. So we have talked a lot about that and I have learned a lot from Joe about that and we have tried to craft that to help build our program and our football team, in terms of advice I have no advice to give it has just been fun working for him and trying to understand how we want to build this team together and I have enjoyed every minute of it."

follow up question:

Since your 10 year stint at HC of the Dallas Cowboys was marked by lack of success and mediocrity, have you told him things you would do so that he can avoid them?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Because he doesn’t know how to head coach or wants to see him fail?

He did just about everything wrong. Why would anyone take his advice or why would he think anyone would listen?

And lets not forget that Garrett is probably already trying to undermine the guy as OC. If he gives him any advice it will be bad advice so he fails.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
The actual question.

Piggybacking on what Zach just asked you, you've now spent a whole summer with Joe Judge, is there anything that surprised you about him moving up to this role as a head coach for the first time and you've been a head coach for a long time in this league yourself do you have any advice you can give him going into his first game in his first year?

Jason Garrett's Response.

"No, it's just been a great experience for me to work for Joe, Great respect for him from afar, A lot of people I know who have been around him have said great things about him and that was a big draw for me in coming to New York taking the position that have and it's been great getting to know him again going back to the Vision of the program and vision of the football team, you know understanding what that is, having conversations with him about that and what we value together as a coaching staff and a football team those are really important. I think he has done a great job outlining that for all of us and getting everybody on the same page, alignment in an organization is critical, Everybody on the same page from ownership all the way through the organization, personnel people, coaching staff, players....getting everyone on the same page. That is such a big piece to having success. So we have talked a lot about that and I have learned a lot from Joe about that and we have tried to craft that to help build our program and our football team, in terms of advice I have no advice to give it has just been fun working for him and trying to understand how we want to build this team together and I have enjoyed every minute of it."
thanks for the actual question and comments. his answer was actually a good one, and maybe he learns some stuff from judge.

MikeB80

Reaction score
I know. He posted that like it was a mic drop :lmao:

No I posted the question and the answer because The New York Post is just doing what they do.

All of the coaches in NY were available today and they all said similar things about having one vision. in the question to garrett Patrick grahams comment about that was referenced and Garett followed up accordingly.

if the guy is so bad and such a toxic person they shouldn't have to invent ways to try and make him look bad.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Judge has to do the 8vuears of OJT, like Jason did. There are no short cuts!

stilltheguru

Reaction score
No I posted the question and the answer because The New York Post is just doing what they do.

All of the coaches in NY were available today and they all said similar things about having one vision. in the question to garrett Patrick grahams comment about that was referenced and Garett followed up accordingly.

if the guy is so bad and such a toxic person they shouldn't have to invent ways to try and make him look bad.
Yawn

fansince68

Reaction score
He probably gave Judge advice but just wont state it publicly

Garrett wasnt just hired to be the OC he was hired along with Freddie Kitchens because Judge has no Hc or Coordinator experience and they need them to impart wisdom on him
Oh snap...The Giants have both Garrett and Kitchens? Two of the "suckiest" coaches on the same team.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I find it funny that some people claim that Garrett was/is the worst coach in the NFL. Over the last 4 years as the HC he won 44 games and lost 22. Those numbers mean “no success” “old offense” “puppet”

But yet the same people point to the record of 44-22 and use that to point out that Dak is worthy of 40 mil a year. Then they go into all his stats, the best of this, the best of that. All accomplished with JG as the HC.

seems like some people are talking out of both sides of their mouths.

calico

Reaction score
judge will find out one day on the ides of march when his back has a sudden, searing pain. "et tu? Red.....ballll?????"

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yes. Even more important if you read what he said in full, which is why I posted it....he basically answers the question.

He just told the NY media we are one vision and the head coach speaks for us.

The NY media was baiting him to offer advice to Judge. There is not a single thing Garrett or any other coordinator can say in that situation that will be the right answer. No matter what is said it will be used negatively if not today then somewhere down the line.

I understand Paul Schwartz works for the New York Post and the reason they print that paper is so that people have materials to potty train their dogs but he is going to have to try harder to create the dissonance they are looking to make for headlines with Garrett.
People here like to rag on Garrett for his boring pressers, but he didn't say much that could come back and bite him in the *** later.

dfense

Reaction score
Let it go. 85-67 couldn't get deep into the playoffs. Next

cowboyed

Reaction score
Yes. Even more important if you read what he said in full, which is why I posted it....he basically answers the question.

He just told the NY media we are one vision and the head coach speaks for us.

The NY media was baiting him to offer advice to Judge. There is not a single thing Garrett or any other coordinator can say in that situation that will be the right answer. No matter what is said it will be used negatively if not today then somewhere down the line.

I understand Paul Schwartz works for the New York Post and the reason they print that paper is so that people have materials to potty train their dogs but he is going to have to try harder to create the dissonance they are looking to make for headlines with Garrett.

Garrett was inconsistent over his tenure with the Cowboys but had some very good seasons leading the team as well. I never bought into the conspiracy theories that he sabotaged Wade Phillips to get the head coaching job. Exactly how many head coaching jobs has Wade Phillips had since leaving the Cowboys? I see that as defensive coordinator he is now no longer with the Rams. Not to belittle him, but he shouldn't be martyred as a Cowboys head coach done wrong.

The time was appropriate for Garrett and our dysfunctional supporting coaching staff to move on after that team implosion last season. Ownership and executive management also contributed to this systemic team development failure. We understandably lament over not having won a Superbowl over the last 23 years but we are not the only team with a long a Super Bowl drought. Worse yet, it has taken the Chiefs 50 years to win another Superbowl.

I am glad the first game of our regular season is nearly upon us and there will be less of a need to parse over every Garrett comment and twist it into something negative or conspiratorial. The NY sports media has always been a bunch of cackling hens.

Last edited:

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I’ll say it one last time. His nervous incessant clapping and butt slapping was to mask that he did not know what he should’ve been doing.

Best line ever about him:
“He looks like the villain from a college movie”