Garrett as GM? **merged**

jsb357

Reaction score
vomit.gif

Qcard

Reaction score
I am starting to think this is what Jerry meant about changing. JG moves from puppet coach to puppet GM.
The best thing Garrett can do for Cowboys is become Zeke's off-season guardian

_sturt_

Reaction score
What if this is all about persuading Red to leave coaching and take 78 year-old Jerry's place in the decision-making hierarchy?

(Pardon the bold, but this once was its own thread before someone figured it belongs here.)

Or, technically, Stephen becomes the final say, but Jason is more or less in Stephen's place as next-to-final-say.

It would be surprising that Jerry would decide to step back from the center of the Cowboys universe, but at 78, maybe he's been having a lot of thoughts that many if not most people getting ready to crest 80 tend to have.

How would you feel about that???

On the one hand, I take it that the loudest and most prolific posters here would be disappointed to see Red ascend to even greater authority... on the other, I tend to think that a whole lotta folks feel it is in the franchise's best interests for Jerry to pass the baton once and for all.

Amending my words... Red would technically have greater authority over the on-field personnel, but of course, different than coaching where he controlled game prep and in-game decisions, from an office he would always be potentially counterbalanced by his boss, Stephen. So, in a sense, his authority would be compromised in the office in ways that it hasn't been on the field.

NickZepp

Reaction score
I'm all for a coach being in more control of everything even if it is Garrett. Also hopefully we see an overhaul of the coaching staff.

Reactions: CWR

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
He’s very good at scouting talent. Inspirational speeches. Human Resources. It could actually be a good fit.

He’s a bad coach clearly. This isn’t necessarily a promotion based on good coaching. But a potential better fit for his talents. and a buffer between Jerry.

As long as he’s not calling plays and making game time decisions, I’m ok with it.

No

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Laugh at OP but this is what WE ALL KNOW. It doesn't take 2-3 DAYS to fired someone on an expiring contract, that's a fact. What is there to negotiate when no money/compensation is owed other than the future. My humble guess they're talking extension and they can't agree on years Jason may want 5, they only wanna do three) or power/authority.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
He’s very good at scouting talent. Inspirational speeches. Human Resources. It could actually be a good fit.

He’s a bad coach clearly. This isn’t necessarily a promotion based on good coaching. But a potential better fit for his talents. and a buffer between Jerry.

As long as he’s not calling plays and making game time decisions, I’m ok with it.

The last thing I would want is Garret scouting talent. There is no proof that he is good at identifying talent.

If he can't understand how to use a skillset of a player there is no reason to think he can ever be good at scouting talent.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Been done said this for a while. Putting him at GM makes him JJ’s puppet as GM. JJ don’t admit he was wrong. He can put in a new staff and HC. He stays in control while SJ stews and waits.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

I agree. I'd have no problem with him as a Gm. He's done well spotting talent and works well with McClay. If he returns as a coach, I shall need to take up drawing as a hobby haha.

_sturt_

Reaction score
So... trying this again... how would it change your opinion, if at all, if it wasn't that Red would be "GM" but that he would occupy essentially the same standing in making decisions that Stephen has... and that Stephen, then, replaces his dad as the final say... and, Jerry who will soon enough be 80, steps down.

Last edited:
Reactions: CWR

Fmart322

Reaction score
No. Nobody should be ok with this. Garrett did nothing to deserve to be promoted to fake GM. He deserves to be let go to do whatever he wants. He has failed this franchise. Year after year he's failed. His one saving grace was he was a nice person. Really?
No, if he sticks around he'll continue to contaminate this team with his distinctive brand of mediocrity and stupidity.
No!

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Gm or final stink as HC with more control of the staff.

basilhayden

Reaction score
100% no. No coach with an ounce of brains would take the job with the previous failed coach who still wants the job sitting directly above them in the owner’s ear every second of every day. No chance whatsoever this would work. You think the team Has dysfunction now, times it by 10 if this were to happen.

That's why it will happen.
We are about to become the NFC East Lions...

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
Laugh at OP but this is what WE ALL KNOW. It doesn't take 2-3 DAYS to fired someone on an expiring contract, that's a fact. What is there to negotiate when no money/compensation is owed other than the future. My humble guess they're talking extension and they can't agree on years Jason may want 5, they only wanna do three) or power/authority.
Jason's not in a position to demand anything to be honest.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Jerry doesn't even want to give the HC the ability to hire his own assistants. There's no way he'd turn over GM duties to anyone, not even Garrett.

CB61

Reaction score
Exactly. It would be no different than marrying a woman whose ex-husband lives in the same house. Dumbest idea ever if JJ is even considering it.
I know someone that does that I can't believe they do it we're together for a while now they live next door to each other f*** that noise the shotgun would be out