Garrett explains short kickoff from Bailey in third quarter

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
“There was a wind on our bench going from left to right, so we were kicking into the wind,” Garrett said. “We wanted to use that instead of kicking a high, soft one that was going to land not in the end zone and give them a good chance to return it. We wanted to use a power kick there and drive the ball a little bit.

“You want to get it past that second line. We didn’t quite get that done and gave them good field position. We thought the idea was a good one, given the circumstances and going into the wind. Ultimately, we didn’t execute as well as we needed to.”

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...ort-kickoff-from-bailey-in-third-quarter.html

cowboyfan4life2

Reaction score
Bailey was kicking it through the endzone the whole game, that kick made absolutely no sense at all.

BBQ101

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;4905018 said:
“There was a wind on our bench going from left to right, so we were kicking into the wind,” Garrett said. “We wanted to use that instead of kicking a high, soft one that was going to land not in the end zone and give them a good chance to return it. We wanted to use a power kick there and drive the ball a little bit.

“You want to get it past that second line. We didn’t quite get that done and gave them good field position. We thought the idea was a good one, given the circumstances and going into the wind. Ultimately, we didn’t execute as well as we needed to.”

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...ort-kickoff-from-bailey-in-third-quarter.html

I thought it was a horrible decision given what Bailey had been doing all day. To take the lead and then give them the ball on the 40 I thought was horrible. It really bothered me when I was watching the game.

BBQ

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
cowboyfan4life2;4905026 said:
Bailey was kicking it through the endzone the whole game, that kick made absolutely no sense at all.
Actually, I thought JG's explanation was pretty good, assuming he was right about the wind strength. That at least makes it less of a head scratcher.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Horrible excuse. Just say it was a dumb choice and move on. Garrett has become the anti-accountability.

Venger

Reaction score
Terrible decision. Just terrible. There is and will never be a rational basis for that decision. Both teams were kicking very deep into the end zone all game long. Until we tried to get cute.

In fact, that is a hallmark of Garrett's decision making - too cute for school. Ought to be his nickname, or part of it, Jason Red HeyZeus Cutesy Garrett. Feel free to coin your own!

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol. You guys wanted an explanation only so you'd have something to complain about, apparently.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
SDCowboy85;4905040 said:
Horrible excuse. Just say it was a dumb choice and move on. Garrett has become the anti-accountability.

Or maybe he was just answering a question? I am in no means defending Garrett and his decision, but nothing he would have said would have EVER satisfied you or a bunch other blithering nay sayers on this board.

Don't fib now... :D

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
Idgit;4905052 said:
Lol. You guys wanted an explanation only so you'd have something to complain about, apparently.
Exactly. I'm not saying I agree with the decision but now at least we know what he was thinking.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Dallas;4905056 said:
Or maybe he was just answering a question? I am in no means defending Garrett and his decision, but nothing he would have said would have EVER satisfied you or a bunch other blithering nay sayers on this board.

Don't fib now... :D
I just said what I wanted him to do. Admit mistake.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
cowboyfan4life2;4905026 said:
I couldn't believe it at all, still doesn't make sense

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Venger;4905044 said:
Terrible decision. Just terrible. There is and will never be a rational basis for that decision. Both teams were kicking very deep into the end zone all game long. Until we tried to get cute.

In fact, that is a hallmark of Garrett's decision making - too cute for school. Ought to be his nickname, or part of it, Jason Red HeyZeus Cutesy Garrett. Feel free to coin your own!

Agree that JG overthought that one, but if Bailey powers through that ball instead of that half-hearted attempt the outcome would have been far better.

cowboyfan4life2

Reaction score
fanfromvirginia;4905037 said:
Actually, I thought JG's explanation was pretty good, assuming he was right about the wind strength. That at least makes it less of a head scratcher.

If the wind was any issue, then why were both kickers booming it through the end zone the entire game?

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
Aaaaa isnt cowboys stadium indoors.......? Even with the roof open how much of a breeze did Garrett think woud work......indoors. ............ riiight

lkelly

Reaction score
Having never been in that stadium, are there really significant winds?

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just covering for his STUPID arse ST coach, this has his brain power written all over it.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
cowboyfan4life2;4905069 said:
If the wind was any issue, then why were both kickers booming it through the end zone the entire game?
Because wind is not a constant?

cowboyfan4life2

Reaction score
fanfromvirginia;4905083 said:
Because wind is not a constant?

But even the kickoffs after the squib kick were going out of the end zone. Did the wind get that bad for such a short period of time?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bigdog24;4905071 said:
Aaaaa isnt cowboys stadium indoors.......? Even with the roof open how much of a breeze did Garrett think woud work......indoors. ............ riiight

lkelly;4905072 said:
If both the roof and the doors are open, you can get a pretty good breeze flowing through the stadium. Even if just the doors are open, you can get a good breeze.

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
lkelly;4905072 said:

The announcers mentioned when Bailey was lining up the potential 60+ yard FG attempt he was kicking with the wind.