Garrett explains short kickoff from Bailey in third quarter

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;4905089 said:
If both the roof and the doors are open, you can get a pretty good breeze flowing through the stadium. Even if just the doors are open, you can get a good breeze.

I realize this, but come on man, is really enough to sway decision making? Flat out dumb decision no matter how he spins it.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
kmd24;4905150 said:
The critics in this thread are missing some information, but what else is new?

I agree with Garrett. The call was fine, the execution was bad.

This thread is referencing the kick-off, looks like you are missing some information.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
fanfromvirginia;4905037 said:
Actually, I thought JG's explanation was pretty good, assuming he was right about the wind strength. That at least makes it less of a head scratcher.

Maybe, but I don't like how it's always about "execution". Sometimes it is, but sometimes it's just a bad decision. He should own up to it IMO.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
sacase;4905133 said:
Just another example of him trying to get to cute with things, like that QB keeper on 3 and short. Just play football man!

This. Once again overthinking things.

kmd24

Reaction score
HowAboutThemCowboys;4905390 said:
This thread is referencing the kick-off, looks like you are missing some information.

Keep reading. Don't hurt yourself.

Nav22

Reaction score
kmd24;4905228 said:
Bailey only kicked to that endzone twice. The first kick occurred after Witten's TD, and the kick was a low line drive that bounced into the front of the endzone and over Rainey's head. The second was the squib kick, which presumably was intended to be similar to the earlier kickoff in that direction.

Suisham kicked off against the wind once, in the fourth quarter. It was the only kick that Harris returned, and he fielded it about 5 yards deep in the endzone. All of Suisham's kicks in the other direction went to the back of or out of the endzone.

Not surprised that this post has been ignored. Takes too long to go all the way back to the basement to put away the torches and pitchforks. :laugh2:

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
Nav22;4905536 said:
Not surprised that this post has been ignored. Takes too long to go all the way back to the basement to put away the torches and pitchforks. :laugh2:

:bow:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Whatever. I'll take the type of coaching we got yesterday every game. I can live with 1 or 2 mistakes vs a game of mistakes which is the usual.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
The call was dumb and could've cost us the game. Just say "we made a bad judgement on that play, we'll get better". If you say that, most people will move past it unless it continues to happen.

Crucial games require flawless execution, and not just on the field. In the Coaching as well.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
kmd24;4905476 said:
Keep reading. Don't hurt yourself.

"Garrett explains short kickoff from Bailey in third quarter". Seems pretty clear to me without even hurting myself.

rcaldw

Reaction score
Clove;4905572 said:
The call was dumb and could've cost us the game. Just say "we made a bad judgement on that play, we'll get better". If you say that, most people will move past it unless it continues to happen.

Crucial games require flawless execution, and not just on the field. In the Coaching as well.

That, of course, assumes the call was dumb. Unfortunately, on this forum, any play that isn't executed well, or any play that doesn't work, is labeled dumb.

I don't accept the premise. Was it what I would have liked to have seen them do? Nope.

However, I have to say that I saw them do the exact same thing the week before and it worked perfectly. Do you remember that?

Probably not, and it wasn't whined about on this board at that time either. Do you know why?

IT WORKED.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
There has to be a safer way to get the ball downfield against the wind than whatever we saw yesterday. Are we that afraid of Chris Rainey that we can't have him field it at the 2 yd line?

kmd24

Reaction score
HowAboutThemCowboys;4905595 said:
"Garrett explains short kickoff from Bailey in third quarter". Seems pretty clear to me without even hurting myself.

I posted quite clearly in this thread about the information folks are missing wrt the kickoffs. You're going to pull something jumping to conclusions like that.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
sacase;4905133 said:
Just another example of him trying to get to cute with things, like that QB keeper on 3 and short. Just play football man!

Exactly, JG still has the brain farts occasionally, if this was his reasoning I m glad he didn't decide to go for the 61 yd FG , if the wind was not as strong and we would have given the ball back at 49 TDs with abt 40 secs.

Some of my observations ;

1. Miles should have been used more in the 3rd qtr similar to the 1st qtr, the steelers were playing with 4th string CBs.

2. Offense goes in phases in dallas, good 1st qtr (surprise) , 2 nd qtr bad, ok 3rd qtr and bad 4th qtr. Goodstrip by Butler to set up the tying TD.

3. McCray can't play in zone or deep , that is a disaster waiting to happen, having said that, Jenkins releasing a streaking Wallace to him , with 3 man rush makes no sense , what was his other responsibility, McCray was caught napping.

4. Steelers had some luck ( calls and some goof ups by our defense ) - Bens missed grounding call in the go ahead TD possession , squib kick , and twice catches by non regulars , fatso Johnson , who mimicked WR And that 89 in between 4 cowboys in Zone ( beautiful high catch)

5. Dez has a weakness , near the endzone left pylon catches he uses the body to catch and not hands and lets the ball bounces of body , don't know if its not natural or something, 3-4 times I have seen it now, need to be taught the correct technique.

6. it's been a long time our D and ST come through clutch period to help out O.

Now it's upto the O to put some fast points on Saints , watch it Spagnaulo is getting that D to play.

tantrix1969

Reaction score
theogt;4905111 said:
The proper explanation would have come with a mea culpa rather than throwing one if the best players on the team under the bus.

:hammer: