Garrett explains short kickoff from Bailey in third quarter

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
cowboyfan4life2;4905086 said:
But even the kickoffs after the squib kick were going out of the end zone. Did the wind get that bad for such a short period of time?
Maybe. You know that's the correct answer, right?

This isn't an episode of Columbo. JG likely overthought (as someone noted above) the wind as an issue and now you and others are overthinking his response.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
SDCowboy85;4905040 said:
Horrible excuse. Just say it was a dumb choice and move on. Garrett has become the anti-accountability.
This.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Idgit;4905052 said:
Lol. You guys wanted an explanation only so you'd have something to complain about, apparently.
The proper explanation would have come with a mea culpa rather than throwing one if the best players on the team under the bus.

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
Bigdog24;4905071 said:
Aaaaa isnt cowboys stadium indoors.......? Even with the roof open how much of a breeze did Garrett think woud work......indoors. ............ riiight

Doors open on both endzone sides. There was actually wind yesterday. I remember the commentators mentioning the wind. I thought the kick was stupid as well but I don't think his reasoning was a bunch of BS.

sacase

Reaction score
Just another example of him trying to get to cute with things, like that QB keeper on 3 and short. Just play football man!

FiveRings

Reaction score
Never been to a game with the roof open, so can a wind on the field really be that significant?

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
sacase;4905133 said:
Just another example of him trying to get to cute with things, like that QB keeper on 3 and short. Just play football man!

Success doesn't make a call good or bad. On that 3rd and short play, if Parnell puts even a finger on Harrison, Romo is still running. Great play call, terrible execution.

burmafrd

Reaction score
what is the point of an indoor stadium if you allow the elements to impact the game? Close the doors dummies!

kmd24

Reaction score
The critics in this thread are missing some information, but what else is new?

I agree with Garrett. The call was fine, the execution was bad.

Tommy

Reaction score
sacase;4905133 said:
It's only a bad call when it doesn't work. If someone blocks Harrison it looked like he may have had room to run. I thought the previous short yardage play where Pitt knew they were going to run Murray got stuffed. I liked the call. It just didn't work that time.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Good thing the game winning kick was from so close, or that gale force wind may have stopped the kick dead in its track!

CowboyGil

Reaction score
We won, right? Just checking. 5 out of 6. 3-0 in December. Correct? O.K.

rcaldw

Reaction score
Idgit;4905052 said:
Lol. You guys wanted an explanation only so you'd have something to complain about, apparently.

I have to admit, my tolerance for the complaining is running on empty.

kmd24

Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;4905168 said:
Good thing the game winning kick was from so close, or that gale force wind may have stopped the kick dead in its track!

The wind was at Bailey's back for the game winner. Incidentally, the wind in that direction was part of the reason we were considering a 62-yard FG at the end of the game. Must have been significant since Bailey's range is normally in the 53-55 yard range. Go back and look at the 50-yarder. It cleared the crossbar with plenty of room to spare.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
cowboyfan4life2;4905026 said:
Bailey was kicking it through the endzone the whole game, that kick made absolutely no sense at all.

This.

kmd24

Reaction score
cowboyfan4life2;4905026 said:
Bailey was kicking it through the endzone the whole game, that kick made absolutely no sense at all.

Bailey only kicked to that endzone twice. The first kick occurred after Witten's TD, and the kick was a low line drive that bounced into the front of the endzone and over Rainey's head. The second was the squib kick, which presumably was intended to be similar to the earlier kickoff in that direction.

Suisham kicked off against the wind once, in the fourth quarter. It was the only kick that Harris returned, and he fielded it about 5 yards deep in the endzone. All of Suisham's kicks in the other direction went to the back of or out of the endzone.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
rcaldw;4905189 said:
I have to admit, my tolerance for the complaining is running on empty.

I am not really a complainer, but if there is something to complain about I understand some will complain.

And that's fine.

Not every decision works the way you want it to. Nobody is perfect so there will always be disagreements with what the coach did.

Garrett is not perfect, but we have won 5 out of 6 NFL games, that is not easy to do.

Running the QB bootleg was a good call that didn't work out, same with the idea of the squib kick. I would have kicked it deep but I understand his thinking. It just didn't work out the way they planned.

Complaining about bad decisions is ok, but those were not.

If these guys that are complaining want to be taken seriously, .. then stop complaining about every little thing.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;4905111 said:
The proper explanation would have come with a mea culpa rather than throwing one if the best players on the team under the bus.

Oh, well then you guys should have been explicit and specified you were looking for a 'proper' explanation. Maybe someone in the Dallas media will ask for that one tomorrow.

What you got today was the explicit rationale for the call and the explanation for why it didn't work. You don't have to like the rationale (I don't, for the record. I think it was a minor mistake). I have zero problem with the head coach saying they didn't execute the play properly, since he also explained why he thought that.

We're getting more and more resourceful, though, when it comes to finding busses in Dallas these days. Time was, when you didn't need a bus necessarily to explain why a single play in a hugely positive game was unsuccessful. Now every criticism comes with its own bus driver, apparently. Our fan dollars hard at work!

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
kmd24;4905228 said:
Bailey only kicked to that endzone twice. The first kick occurred after Witten's TD, and the kick was a low line drive that bounced into the front of the endzone and over Rainey's head. The second was the squib kick, which presumably was intended to be similar to the earlier kickoff in that direction.

Suisham kicked off against the wind once, in the fourth quarter. It was the only kick that Harris returned, and he fielded it about 5 yards deep in the endzone. All of Suisham's kicks in the other direction went to the back of or out of the endzone.
Get out of here with that logical explanation. The facts are inconvenient!:D