Garrett is a great coach waiting to happen

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I disagree with the comment about garrett and lack of discipline....I think there is a lot of jerry mandering still involved.

second, there is a notion that Jimmy was a disciplinarian...he wasn't. his top players had a long leash ala haley, Irvin, emmitt and a few others..... well chronicled...what everyone refers to is Jimmy cutting a nobody/no name third string RB after a bad week of practice and they all thing Jimmy was a disciplinarian...…Jimmy demanded professionalism from the players and his focus was on winning. as long as they won, these players did all kinds of shiet...again well chronicled....

Well if we want to talk of discipline why is it that the Cowboys has the most of suspensions of any team? Why do we see Bryant throwing a fit on the sidelines and yet Garrett seems to not do anything about it? Why doesn't he get upset at players when they do something bad? Why are there so many gaffes during the waning moments of the game which causes us to lose? I can go on and on.

Yes we can all agree that some of those suspensions wasn't that fault of Garrett. But when things went sour when Zeke got suspended what did he do? What were the steps he took to ensure that the results will continue even though Zeke was suspended? There was no adjustments in the playbook? No changes to how the gameplan. Nothing. This is the biggest cause for concern.

Garrett is a good manager and organizer. But when it comes to bringing the team together and making them play better - and do everything in his power to win, he just can't do it.

Jimmy Johnson was one of the reasons why we had a winning philosophy back them. You might say he was too much of a disciplinary. But he got it done with results. What has Garrett done for us lately?

Sydla

Reaction score
again, I am not arguing that he should HAVE BEEN fired. but to fire him now, a month prior to training camp is idiotic. there is no other word for it. that would end up as a worse disaster than garrett. if anything, after the season, the cowboys should move on...again, as mentioned I have put in my opinion as to what would be a good head coaching replacement for garrett.

at this point, a month before camp, there are no alternative, no other head coaches available. all coaches at all levels are getting ready for the regular season. its not just about replacing a head coach, but the entire coaching staff.

again, to fire garrett now is beyond stupidity. it will only create chaos. it will lead to a disastrous season, but I assume most garrett haters prefer a disastrous season over having garrett.

I don't happen to agree with that.

Again, are there a significant number of people here advocating he should be fired today?

Sydla

Reaction score
no, the fact is there are a few.....more than 0 is a comedy of stupidity

No one said we didn't have some dumb fans.

But many of you arguing this point have made it seem like it's a far bigger problem that it really is and as such, have then used it to try to cram down the larger group of fans who simply don't believe Garrett has done a good job and should be fired if this continues.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
No one said we didn't have some dumb fans.

But many of you arguing this point have made it seem like it's a far bigger problem that it really is and as such, have then used it to try to cram down the larger group of fans who simply don't believe Garrett has done a good job and should be fired if this continues.
not arguing the point of garrett doing a good job or not, or should have been fired. my response was to the one fan saying we should just do it now.....

I think garrett has done an average to slightly average job. some good things. some not so good things. its probably time to go, but we have to wait another season. and if he ends up having a successful season, then we have more to argue.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Here is what he needs to change:

Knock off the insane clapping. If a player makes a great play, yell congrats. Give a thumbs up. If a player screws up, for God's sake do not clap! Why would you clap?

When a player is suspending for drugs, vehicular manslaughter, DV, etc. or is late to practice or camp, DO NOT say "he's a player, we believe in him. His work ethic and love of his teammates is a testament to his character." Think it over. Follow Jimmy's way: "I will tell you something, he's got until tomorrow to explain his butt. Things happen. Stupidity happens. If he does not want to get with the system or work hard, there are a hundred otywers who want his job. I am through talking about idiots who do not, through his actions, want to be here."

Stop grinning at everything. Not everything is pretty or good.
Did jimmy and old man Landry grin on the sidelines? No, they were focused.

At pressers, tell it like it is: "Our pass rushing sucks. Our secondary is struggling. I will have the Allen HS secondary here tomorrow to show them how it is done."

When you lose, show anger: "We are going to switch some first-teamers to second. This loss is unacceptable. If you can't play for an hour, you need to be in better condition. If you can't hang with the opponent, turn in your equipment and give a younger, more talented player a chance to play."

Garrett has the smarts and skills. Talking and acting like a Pollyanna is not the way to conduct himself. IT'S THE NFL, NOT POP WARNER!!!!!

8 years and still waiting.......................

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Well if we want to talk of discipline why is it that the Cowboys has the most of suspensions of any team? Why do we see Bryant throwing a fit on the sidelines and yet Garrett seems to not do anything about it? Why doesn't he get upset at players when they do something bad? Why are there so many gaffes during the waning moments of the game which causes us to lose? I can go on and on.

Yes we can all agree that some of those suspensions wasn't that fault of Garrett. But when things went sour when Zeke got suspended what did he do? What were the steps he took to ensure that the results will continue even though Zeke was suspended? There was no adjustments in the playbook? No changes to how the gameplan. Nothing. This is the biggest cause for concern.

Garrett is a good manager and organizer. But when it comes to bringing the team together and making them play better - and do everything in his power to win, he just can't do it.

Jimmy Johnson was one of the reasons why we had a winning philosophy back them. You might say he was too much of a disciplinary. But he got it done with results. What has Garrett done for us lately?
yeah, why so many suspensions? who decided Greg Hardy was the guy that would put us over the top? who keeps brining Irvin back? Who drafted Gregory and keep bringing him back. those three are most of the suspensions.

and then the Zeke suspension. prior to joining the team and Goodell getting even with Jerry.

and some of the suspensions are due to PED.

and Bryant throwing a fit on the sideline...we have discussed that for a long time...Jerry going down and giving him a hug and chumming up with him, gives Dez the power and notion that he can do that and get away with it. Jerry has for 25 years now undermines his coaches. players, trouble making players know they by pass the coach and go to Jerry.

and how do you replace a Zeke? Zeke is the 4th pick in the draft. some said, probably a top 2 player in that draft. we had Morris. who else was available? do you spend a top draft pick to back up Zeke in case he gets suspended? would that be the right approach? you mention as if we didn't take any steps to replace zeke.

and I agree, that last year the playbook adjustment was bad. I blame Linehan, and ultimately Garrett. Beasley became easy to defend. our Passing game was not creative. and the defense was over rated. when the offense struggled, the defense collapsed along side with it.

with that said, I think Garrett as you said is a good manager and organizer and he does motivate the team and bring them together, but our schemes are out dated. I don't like Marinelli. his defense is passive. I don't like Linehan, he hasn't done anything innovative and he is too pass happy...

garrett hasn't done much to meet our expectations of getting to the superbowl. he has to take the next step this year and I have said, this year if we don't reach NFC championship, its time to move on. I have my favorites for his replacement. with that said, reality is NFC is a tough division, with Rams, Eagles, GB, NO, Atlanta, Carolina, Minn, Seattle and then up and coming teams like Giants, Skins, Detroit, SF....the NFC will be very tough. and I have my doubts if we can make it to the NFC championship game.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I love it when fans talk about dumb fans.
As if THEY are so astute! Yeah, right, Laddies. Go back to your subsistence contracting jobs, you are so smart.:laugh: