Garrett moving on up

jwitten82

Reaction score
Okay.

Do you feel better now? I honestly hope so. No ill will on my part. Sorry my opinion of the man seems to have irked you. I stand by my opinions of him, and his family. Good people. I will leave it at that, you can have the last word.

It was strange to come here and see my username linked after he's been gone for over two years. Oh well.
I feel a little better

jwitten82

Reaction score
Okay.

Do you feel better now? I honestly hope so. No ill will on my part. Sorry my opinion of the man seems to have irked you. I stand by my opinions of him, and his family. Good people. I will leave it at that, you can have the last word.

It was strange to come here and see my username linked after he's been gone for over two years. Oh well.
Real talk tho, why did u leave this board?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Real talk tho, why did u leave this board?
There were a few guys allowed to get a little too personal with me after I stepped down as Admin. I was not here to make enemies. So I decided it would be better if I just left. Three guys talked me into starting another forum. It's private, and not trying to diss this forum, it's friendlier. Even when we disagree. I still am controversial in my support of the team, I am still long winded, but no one copies my posts into Word format so they can do a word count and use that in replies to me. No one creates fake accounts about my dead Mom, or really says anything at all about my family. No one threatens me, or tells me via PM that he is going to rape my daughter. When I fought back one of the mods here told me via PM he would love to be the one to ban me. So, I banned myself. I love this forum, and a lot of people here, and I miss a bunch of them. But I always said I am just not that important; and I'm not. The forum has thrived without me, and I am happy about that. Reality and I are still friends and friendly, and there is no ill will that I am aware of. I am happy, and I truly hope people here are too. Especially about our team. I come here now and then to read, but not really to post. I was a little surprised to see a callout. That's all. No big deal. I got a giggle out of it, and decided to defend myself, because though I was, and still am, his biggest fan in Cowboys Nation, for reasons I will not discuss, I never compared him, or anyone else, to Tom Landry. That man is on a pedestal for me that no one can fathom. Jason never has been. I do think he is a good man. I won't apologize for that.

Told you I was still long winded. Be happy, have a great weekend.

EDIT...Came here today to look for a photograph taken of me and Don Perkins. I had the honor to meet the man and become friends with his family. I wanted to see if I could find that picture. I didn't.

Last edited:

Motorola

Reaction score
Certain posters literally compared the guy's early days to Tom Landry.
I remember that.
Those CZers not aware - OR IGNORING - the fact that Landry started his HC career over an expansion team.

Motorola

Reaction score
Had he been a head coach for any other team he wouldn’t be given the opportunity. One of the perks for being associated with the Cowboys. A former head coach usually needs a ring to get a Network studio job or at least a decent track record.
Walsh, Ditka, Gibbs, Holmgren, Levy (AFC Championships, CFL titles), Dungy.
But there have been exceptions:
The late Sam Wyche was in studio - coached Bengals to Super Bowl appearance.
Jim Mora - no playoff wins with the Saints
Steve Mariucci - one NFCC game with the 49ers, under .500 with the Lions
Dave Wannesdt got a studio gigs- without winning much in Chicago and Miami
I'm sure the there are more.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Isaah Thomas might have something to say about that. :muttley::muttley::muttley:

Isiah Thomas can at least say he’s an NBA hall of famer, top 50/75 player of all time.

Garrett was an okay backup QB, a sub par offensive coordinator and an average at best coach.

I don’t see why anyone would value his insight on a pregame show vs any other sub par player/coach.

And it’s not like he has a great personality, I just don’t get it

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Walsh, Ditka, Gibbs, Holmgren, Levy (AFC Championships, CFL titles), Dungy.
But there have been exceptions:
The late Sam Wyche was in studio - coached Bengals to Super Bowl appearance.
Jim Mora - no playoff wins with the Saints
Steve Mariucci - one NFCC game with the 49ers, under .500 with the Lions
Dave Wannesdt got a studio gigs- without winning much in Chicago and Miami
I'm sure the there are more.

All the exceptions you mentioned had personalities. They weren’t boring robots. Jim Mora had no playoff wins but his “playoffs” soundbite got him a studio gig. Lol The guy had a personality! From Sam Wyche to Steve Mariucci they weren’t boring to listen to. As for Dave Wannesdt he was the Cowboys DC for four years including when they won the Super Bowl in 92. Don’t think being part of the Jimmy Johnson coaching tree, along with those four years with the Cowboys didn’t help get him a studio job. Jason Garrett is a good talker but one of the most boring people to listen to, we’ll see how it goes for him with NBC. Maybe he’ll adapt and be more engaging and not come off so robotic, repeating himself over and over again like he did during his pressers.

Last edited:

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Double heck and darn.
Now I that awful show song Moving On Up on me mind

Pass2Run

Reaction score
There were a few guys allowed to get a little too personal with me after I stepped down as Admin. I was not here to make enemies. So I decided it would be better if I just left. Three guys talked me into starting another forum. It's private, and not trying to diss this forum, it's friendlier. Even when we disagree. I still am controversial in my support of the team, I am still long winded, but no one copies my posts into Word format so they can do a word count and use that in replies to me. No one creates fake accounts about my dead Mom, or really says anything at all about my family. No one threatens me, or tells me via PM that he is going to rape my daughter. When I fought back one of the mods here told me via PM he would love to be the one to ban me. So, I banned myself. I love this forum, and a lot of people here, and I miss a bunch of them. But I always said I am just not that important; and I'm not. The forum has thrived without me, and I am happy about that. Reality and I are still friends and friendly, and there is no ill will that I am aware of. I am happy, and I truly hope people here are too. Especially about our team. I come here now and then to read, but not really to post. I was a little surprised to see a callout. That's all. No big deal. I got a giggle out of it, and decided to defend myself, because though I was, and still am, his biggest fan in Cowboys Nation, for reasons I will not discuss, I never compared him, or anyone else, to Tom Landry. That man is on a pedestal for me that no one can fathom. Jason never has been. I do think he is a good man. I won't apologize for that.

Told you I was still long winded. Be happy, have a great weekend.

EDIT...Came here today to look for a photograph taken of me and Don Perkins. I had the honor to meet the man and become friends with his family. I wanted to see if I could find that picture. I didn't.

Damn, dude, that's crazy. Haven't seen you around in a long time. But good to see you.

We had some good debates back in the day. Sometimes, it came close to being personal, but we always hashed it out on that level.

Anyhow, never any hard feelings on my end. And I hope you're doing well outside of being a Cowboys fan.

Last edited:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I think the only way Garrett had a chance as a head coach was to be a walk-around coach and let the coordinators use their own schemes/philosophies. One of his downfalls is that he came in and set the system that he wanted, which was a throwback to his days as a player when the Cowboys could line up and run the same play over and over again and dare defenses to stop them. He dared defenses to stop his offense, but we no longer had a team where execution alone would bring success. His lack of creativity, of trickery (except for reverses) was as much his downfall as anything else.

So I don't think he could have been successful anywhere as a head coach without completely handing over the offensive reins. If there was any doubt about that, then just look at how bad the Giants' offense was. Some of the talent we had made Garrett look better as an OC than he was because they essentially won what they could without any help from the coaching. His concept of outexecution was meant for offenses with superior talent across the board than their opponents. For a smart guy, you'd think he could have figured out that his roster wasn't the 1990s Cowboys.

Agree.

Look at what a great coach Deion has become. And you know his coordinators are doing all the detailed work. He comes in and coaches the general aspects of the team, like attitude, character, hustle, etc.

Agree on Garrett's system. It was outdated, and his insistence on keeping that system was his downfall.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
That will be for the sun nite game I guess. only game on nbc
I rarely watch the pregame show , so.....
But it seems he just wont go away, a brief stint on usfl, and now learning on the job again!!!!!
Not bad, just not good either.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
yeah, the old saying if you can't play the game you coach it. if you can't coach it you talk about it. he can do that I guess.

31RoyW31

Reaction score
Brees was bad, but there had to be better choices than Clapper Boy.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We’ll see if Garrett can actually provide a few candid comments and be critical when he needs to be or does what he usually does repeating the same boring comments over and over again.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Brees was bad, but there had to be better choices than Clapper Boy.

The only problem with Brees was he didn’t want to rub anyone the wrong way. Can’t remember him disagreeing with Tony Dungy once or being very critical. What makes some of these former players bad at analysis is they don’t want to piss anyone off. If you can’t be objective and provide candid comments you’re not going to be very good. This is where Garrett will have a problem unless he can adapt.