Garrett- perfect puppet for Jerry

glimmerman

Reaction score
Having JG as HC allows JJ to continue to run the team without getting any resistance from him. Now he gets no contact extension so it looks like JJ is putting him on the hot seat. If we make the playoffs again this year he will get the extension or JJ will continue to pay him a year at a time. If we lose and are booted from the playoffs then JJ will blame it on the cleats again or the water boy will get canned.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Greg, didn't you try to make this exact same argument over at the old board and got blasted out of the water? It doesn't matter how you try to sugar coat it, Garrett can't get (and doesn't deserve) a free pass because of Jerry.

Why did Charles Manson's minions, the ones who actually committed the murders, not get a free pass because of Manson? Things just don't work this way.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Money won’t be the issue with Payton.

I think Jerry would pay big money if Payton becomes available if this team exits the playoffs early. If they make it to the NFCCG, it depends on how they lose if Garrett stays or goes. But if Payton is available before that happens. I think Jerry goes for it unless Garrett wins the SB.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Having JG as HC allows JJ to continue to run the team without getting any resistance from him. Now he gets no contact extension so it looks like JJ is putting him on the hot seat. If we make the playoffs again this year he will get the extension or JJ will continue to pay him a year at a time. If we lose and are booted from the playoffs then JJ will blame it on the cleats again or the water boy will get canned.
Yep

Most of all it still places Jerry in position to receive the credit he’s been pursuing since Jimmy left.

I don’t believe Jerry would want a Payton coming in and stealing his thunder?

glimmerman

Reaction score
:facepalm:

18 days until TC. And we will still get these type of threads unfortunately. Hopefully they get buried quick with all the other good threads from TC. :laugh:

On another note, a friend of mine says...what better yes man can Jerry hire other than Jason. :muttley:

I am going into this season neither a fan for or against Garrett. I just want to win because of him or in spite of him. :D
If we win the SB it will be because the players won despite JG. Moore will have to call some great plays and Richard will have to stay aggressive.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Greg, didn't you try to make this exact same argument over at the old board and got blasted out of the water? It doesn't matter how you try to sugar coat it, Garrett can't get (and doesn't deserve) a free pass because of Jerry.

Why did Charles Manson's minions, the ones who actually committed the murders, not get a free pass because of Manson? Things just don't work this way.
I’m not lobbying for a free pass just not being the core target. I actually believe we’d be worse off without him.

Unpopular arguments can be blasted. I don’t mind taking them on but I strongly believe and have held steadfast.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't consider him a puppet I think 2016 season saved his job, taking a 4th rd rookie QB and posting 13-3 season and winning coach of the year is what kept Garrett as HC. I also think this is a season that Garrett team must produce or he will be gone. I don't doubt Jerry ego but I also think Jerry knows at his age time is running out and I think the desire to win a title before his time is up means a lot to him.

acr731

Reaction score
I’m not lobbying for a free pass just not being the core target. I actually believe we’d be worse off without him.

Unpopular arguments can be blasted. I don’t mind taking them on but I strongly believe and have held steadfast.

I don't. Garrett is responsible for wasting the careers of several good players the team has had.

acr731

Reaction score
I don't doubt Jerry ego but I also think Jerry knows at his age time is running out and I think the desire to win a title before his time is up means a lot to him.

But you have to ask - how bad does Jerry want to win a title before he's 6 feet under? Retaining Garrett tells me his ego and bank account are still more important.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry wants someone he can control but that he also likes.

Sean Payton is the guy but then the problem is Jerry doesn't believe in paying coaches and someone will give Payton a ton of money.

Jerry's ego is our problem Monday-Saturday and Jason Garrett is our problem on Sunday's.

You can't just win on talent alone anymore because the salary cap doesn't allow teams to stockpile talent so coaching is at an all time importance and we just lack coaches that scheme well.

I think our coaches are great at teaching the fundamentals but there is no next step. It's just fundamental football and if it doesn't work we just take the L.
Currently, Garrett is in the top 10 highest paid NFL coaches. He is on the low side at $6 million per year of the ranking opposite from Belichick and Gruden, both in the $10 - $12 million per year range. While Jones has history of underpaying head coaches, he has established that he will pay in the top third percentile.

I do not think it is outside the possibility of Jones paying Payton top dollar. However, I doubt Payton is the guy Jones would go for despite reports of how cozy both he and Payton are. There is a level of control within football operations Jones will relinquish or would relinquish temporarily (as demonstrated by his partnership with Parcells) but I believe Jones will not be willing to extend an overt amount of autonomy to Payton.

I am sure he has observed Payton's managerial authority in New Orleans for some time. I doubt he would agree to Payton having the same measure of influence in Dallas. Plus, I believe Jones would eventually erode Payton's sense of independence running the team in short order if Jones did sign him to a contract. JMO.

visionary

Reaction score
Fans have to look past Garrett’s field general weaknesses for his greater contribution as a walk around advisor to our GM. The influences over Jerry in the culture of our team and franchise are Garretts greatest assets to the Dallas Cowboys.

Garrett’s asset is propping up our dysfunctionally led franchise from the distractions which would be in total shambles like it was before Parcells resurrected it from the ashes because Jerry is unwilling to let anyone else run football operations including his son. And doesn’t want a more reputable HC who could receive more credit like Jimmy did.

Garrett’s criticism feeds perfectly into Jerry’s agenda. Jerry can handle and deflect the public outcry unlike anyone I can recall in recent sports history. The more criticism Garrett takes the more credit Jerry could receive if they have more success.

As long as Garrett can prevent the team from collapsing remaining relevant , Jerry can continue freewheeling and manage the rest.

Thank you Captain Obvious
:thumbup:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
But you have to ask - how bad does Jerry want to win a title before he's 6 feet under? Retaining Garrett tells me his ego and bank account are still more important.

Jerry and the franchise bank account will do fine with or without Garrett. I don't think many team would have fired a coach who just won coach of the year with a 4th rd pick QB. That season no one gave Dallas a snowball chance in hell of doing anything after Romo went down. Garrett 5 mill a year is pretty much the avg around the league. I think both Jerry and Stephen believe in him and have given him every chance to achieve their goal. I do think this is a make or break year for Garrett with or without a contract heading into this season.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Garrett is getting paid pretty well. I don't think Jerry is concerned about his bank account.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't. Garrett is responsible for wasting the careers of several good players the team has had.
That’s an opinion I don’t necessarily agree with.

I’d place the blame more on Jerry since it’s ultimately his responsibility for hiring the coaches and building the team.

Jerry basically apologized for not building a better team around Romo.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yep

I’d argue it’s not as high a priority as we have. Jerry only wants to win his way. Insisting on a puppet HC is exhibit A.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s an opinion I don’t necessarily agree with.

I’d place the blame more on Jerry since it’s ultimately his responsibility for hiring the coaches and building the team.

Jerry basically publicly apologized for not building a better team around Romo.

Because he strapped himself on the salary cap with so many bad contracts. Actually when Garrett took over, he started to clean that up. And it took a long time.
Garrett had to get rid of many overpaid, under achieving aging players. And it took a good 3 years or so.

Still no excuse for lack of success, for the 3 years of win and in games, but finished 8-8. As he did make quite a few blunders during the games at key moments.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’ve made a similar point many times. Garrett’s pretty much the perfect coach for Jerry. Setting aside the general inability of our fans to look honestly at the team’s performance, it’d have to be a fairly significant opportunity for Jones to hire another coach when he’s got a team that can contend as it is and he’s got the setup he wants in terms of how the organization runs and who gets the credit. I think Payton could be that guy. I could *maybe* see him move an internal candidate up if the guy is impressive enough and had the team behind him. Richard, for instance. But that’s pretty unlikely unless the players were really lobbying for him.

It’s much more likely that we have another pretty good to great season and they renew Garrett for five more years and everybody loses their minds about it.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep

I’d argue it’s not as high a priority as we have. Jerry only wants to win his way. Insisting on a puppet HC is exhibit A.
I mostly agree but not entirely. Jones wants to win on his own terms. However it should be emphasized that it is not so much about ego or money--two things some people run to constantly as explanations--but also because he thinks he is always making sound football managerial decisions. He believes in himself beyond the point of personal overcompensation, which is transparently evident in the type of individual who self-appointed three titles of importance onto himself.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
He's had too much time and got nothing accomplished. IT's time to move on.

Our GM is putting teams that are more then good enough to make some playoff noise with and our coaches can't do anything with it.
Bro!,,, that former #17 is on the "brink of the edge" in the wetness of greatness,,, "Have a little faith, Baby":thumbup:

:starspin:o_O:starspin:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Because he strapped himself on the salary cap with so many bad contracts. Actually when Garrett took over, he started to clean that up. And it took a long time.
Garrett had to get rid of many overpaid, under achieving aging players. And it took a good 3 years or so.

Still no excuse for lack of success, for the 3 years of win and in games, but finished 8-8. As he did make quite a few blunders during the games at key moments.
Garrett kinda reminds me of Romo. He led us to the brink but couldn’t carry us over the threshold.

I’d be harsher on Garrett if we had a #1 defense or QB. And while we have accumulated a fairly talented roster that is a divisional and playoff contender until we have an Elite QB with a top offense and or #1 defense I don’t really expect us to seriously contend for a SB.