Garrett- perfect puppet for Jerry

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Straw man. You just referred to Stephen as cheapskate son and that he could be worse (than jerry) I'm sure you meant collaborative, not cumulative.
I also said my greatest hope is Stephen won’t assume the same role as Jerry by hiring a legit GM and HC.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So... can you give majority credit?
It would depend on the situation. I can’t predict until it unfolds and all the results are in. I’m leaning towards giving Jerry credit for listening more to his influence around him.

Ultimately as GM , Jerry is in position to take majority credit but where the majority of influence is coming from is a huge part of the equation. We might never know.

My hunch is it’s Jason when it comes to drafts and personnel. Will helps find guys who fit Jason's vision. And Stephen is managing the contracts once that decision has been made. Which until Jerry steps down or publicly acknowledges someone else is making final decisions . He’s the man.

Can’t blame him for all that’s gone wrong and not give credit if it goes right. That’s why IMO Jerry has been so determined to see this thru without a legit GM and HC. He wants the credit.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
It would depend on the situation. I can’t predict until it unfolds and all the results are in.

I’m leaning towards giving Jerry credit for listening more to his influence around him.

Ultimately as GM , Jerry is in position to take majority credit but where the majority of influence is coming from is a huge part of the equation. We might never know.

My hunch is it’s Jason when it comes to drafts and personnel. Will helps find guys who fit Jason's vision. And Stephen is managing the contracts once that decision has been made. Which until Jerry steps down or publicly acknowledges someone else is making final decisions . He’s the man.

Can’t blame him for all that’s gone wrong and not give credit if it goes right. That’s why IMO Jerry has been so determined to see this thru without a legit GM and HC.
The results have been in. Who do you give majority credit to for the last several years within JG's tenure?
Just call it, politician. Or are you going to report me?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The results have been in. Who do you give majority credit to for the last several years within JG's tenure?
Just call it, politician. Or are you going to report me?
No need to with normal discussion. Not sure why you want to make this personal.

Not all of the results are in as long as Garretts tenure continues.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fans have to look past Garrett’s field general weaknesses for his greater contribution as a walk around advisor to our GM. The influences over Jerry in the culture of our team and franchise are Garretts greatest assets to the Dallas Cowboys.

Garrett’s asset is propping up our dysfunctionally led franchise from the distractions which would be in total shambles like it was before Parcells resurrected it from the ashes because Jerry is unwilling to let anyone else run football operations including his son. And doesn’t want a more reputable HC who could receive more credit like Jimmy did.

Garrett’s criticism feeds perfectly into Jerry’s agenda. Jerry can handle and deflect the public outcry unlike anyone I can recall in recent sports history. The more criticism Garrett takes the more credit Jerry could receive if they have more success.

As long as Garrett can prevent the team from collapsing remaining relevant , Jerry can continue freewheeling and manage the rest.
Its Howdy Doody time!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Stephen Jones is running the Cowboys football operations now. He wasn't when Garrett was hired as HC.

Garrett is on the final year of his contract and SJones hates paying for not winning.

The obvious signs started in 2014:
  • Will McClay promoted to be in charge of the draft.
  • Zack Martin picked over Jerry preference Manziel.

There have been many obvious signs since 2014 that SJones is in charge and McClay is his right hand man.

Their titles are also a good indication:

Stephen Jones: Executive Vice President, CEO, and Director of Player Personnel for the Dallas Cowboys

Will McClay: Vice President of Player Personnel
How do you explain Jerry not officially giving credit to his oldest son for running Cowboys Football now?

And why did he wait until after Garrett took over?

Corso

Reaction score
No need to with normal discussion. Not sure why you want to make this personal.

Not all of the results are in as long as Garretts tenure continues.
1st you declare I'm engaging in personal insults, which I wasn't and you threatened to report.
And then you refuse to answer something simple. Like always.

I just love you! You're like a Teddy Bear with toritos.

You're useless unless you're engaging in what you want.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
1st you declare I'm engaging in personal insults, which I wasn't and you threatened to report.
And then you refuse to answer something simple. Like always.

I just love you! You're like a Teddy Bear with toritos.

You're useless unless you're engaging in what you want.
What was your initial intention coming on this thread? Tell me it was well intended .

And I’ve tried to respond to all.

Corso

Reaction score
What was your initial intention coming on this thread? Tell me it was well intended .

And I’ve tried to respond to all.
I know! You've provided half the pages with your well-intended responses!
I think it's great! You must be having such a great time...

JG being JJ's puppet and all... You've talked about this at length over and over.
I like that you made a thread about it and partied hard in it.

What makes you upset about me recognizing that?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I know! You've provided half the pages with your well-intended responses!
I think it's great! You must be having such a great time...

JG being JJ's puppet and all... You've talked about this at length over and over.
I like that you made a thread about it and partied hard in it.

What makes you upset about me recognizing that?
Are you done discussing the subject of the thread and related discussions attempting to derail again with personal innuendos?

Corso

Reaction score
Are you done discussing the subject of the thread and related discussions attempting to derail again with personal innuendos?
Yeah. I'm about to cook something to eat and watch a movie with my girl. I was thinking that movie with Peter Lorre... something M? A classic mystery is what I'm looking for.

Party on broskie! This is truly your thread. I even mean it metaphorically!

Sydla

Reaction score
Garrett is a puppet thread 18,798. This month. Well, this offseason anyway.

What’s odd is that typically when you call a coach a puppet, that’s not a good thing, Yet the OP, later in this thread, seemingly argues we are lucky to have Garrett.

LOL. Wut?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What’s odd is that typically when you call a coach a puppet, that’s not a good thing, Yet the OP, later in this thread, seemingly argues we are lucky to have Garrett.

LOL. Wut?
Because if you’re going to be stuck with a puppet I’d argue Garrett is the perfect one for Jerry. That’s what this thread was intended to be about. It’s not necessarily an endorsement of Garrett but more of a slam on Jerry.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How do you explain Jerry not officially giving credit to his oldest son for running Cowboys Football now?

And why did he wait until after Garrett took over?
Jerry let Jimmy run the team for 5 years but Jerry never acknowledged that Jimmy was the acting GM.

Obviously at some age it was going to happen. Jerry is 76 now. Even if Jerry was 100 he would still call himself the GM.

Jerry also started spending less and less time involved in football operations since the completion of Jerry World and later mini Jerry World (The Star). Those are big business into themselves.

There was never going to be an announcement because Jerry is never going to give up the title of GM; however it's common knowledge among the local sports media. The interview questions about details of free agency, roster moves and the draft go to SJones and the fluff level questions go to Jerry.

If you listen to all interviews with Jerry and all interviews with Stephen it is very clear who is functioning as the GM.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry let Jimmy run the team for 5 years but Jerry never acknowledged that Jimmy was the acting GM.

Obviously at some age it was going to happen. Jerry is 76 now. Even if Jerry was 100 he would still call himself the GM.

Jerry also started spending less and less time involved in football operations since the completion of Jerry World and later mini Jerry World (The Star). Those are big business into themselves.

There was never going to be an announcement because Jerry is never going to give up the title of GM; however it's common knowledge among the local sports media. The interview questions about details of free agency, roster moves and the draft go to SJones and the fluff level questions go to Jerry.

If you listen to all interviews with Jerry and all interviews with Stephen it is very clear who is functioning as the GM.
That’s your perception from the events. It’s not an official declaration.

Jimmy did not run the team. He heavily influenced the personnel decisions and why he received more credit which fumed Jerry enough to part ways after back to back championships.

Jerry has been a part time GM all along regardless the ownership distractions. And Stephen has had his same role all along. Nothing has changed but some fans perception.

Sure, Jerry has delegated more air time it appears to Stephen but he’s always fielded interviews even shared time with Jerry in his weekly show on local tv during the season.

Do you think if they reach their goals Jerry is going to give Stephen more credit or Stephen is going to rise up demanding more credit ?

I’m not sure why fans are so determined to take away credit from Jerry for listening more to the influences around him ? But I have my suspicions.

Again I’ll ask why Jerry refuses to give more credit to Stephen for this perceived new responsibility you feel has transpired?

Last edited:

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
If we don't win a playoff game past the wildcard round the perfect puppet will be replaced.