Twitter: Garrett: Romo will not practice this evening; Carr still out

Bluestang

Reaction score
I always find it amazing when I see posts like this.

Let's review.

Babe played in the league as a QB.

Babe played for this team.

Babe knows the management very well and also the head coach very well.

Babe has full access to this team.

Babe is the color man on the radio broadcast with Brad Sham.

Romo said he was ready a few weeks ago

They are holding him out

Romo now says the plan has changed.

They told you it was a cyst last year and he missed a significant part of the pre-season works-outs and such.

Babe said three months ago he thought this might be the beginning of the end for Romo with two back surgeries in one season. And that it isn't all over now, but the slide starts

Babe delivers news which possibly isn't rosy and scares the bejeebers out of the fans of this team and fans of Romo.

Babe is the worst source says you.

Yes, I see how you got to that.

Good post.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The fact that Romo was a no-show at the afternoon practice is just a bit disconcerting. Maybe Babe Laughenberg made more sense in his assertions than most of us might suspect on the surface. Despite Tony's and the staff's assurances about his back being nothing to be concerned about, there appears to be at least some cause for pause. Don't get me wrong, I wish Romo well but it's beginning to seem as though we might get to see just what we have in Weeden somewhat sooner than later -- just sayin'. Granted, it's early yet -- just the 2nd day of TC. Let's just hope these wee seeds of doubt can gradually be cast aside. Sigh . . .

DanteEXT

Reaction score
FWIW Broaddus earlier said on an interview on the fan, that on the first play in team play yesterday, Wilcox blitzed causing Romo to twist his back while throwing a pass to Beasly. That is where the back problem comes from.......

Everyone talked about the great pass and catch up the seams by Beasly, but not much of the discomfort Romo felt. Everyone viewed it as Romo good to go, but it hasn't turned out that way.

In his Scout's Notebook he wrote: "His first pass of the day was with a blitzing J.J. Wilcox in his face and snapped a nice slant to Dez Bryant on the left side. It was a throw that Romo really had to torque his body to make the throw." That was the Thursday morning practice. He continued participation afterwards. Romo came back in the afternoon session and threw some more, along with the Friday morning one.

You stated as it is a fact that "Everyone talked about the great pass and catch up the seams by Beasly, but not much of the discomfort Romo felt". I have not read any report stating that Romo felt discomfort after the very first throw of camp or any other throw. Please provide a link if I missed something. Otherwise your opine is just that - an opinion.

If Romo does not participate today, then I'll be concerned a little. If he does practice then all this sky is falling in this thread was a massive waste of energy.

Bluestang

Reaction score
It ceases to amaze me what people will immediately dismiss when they are being told conflicting things.

This staff has a terrible history of reporting injury statuses on players. Fans and the DFW media have been lied to over and over, yet they still keep believing whatever the team says. Going from full-go to now Tony has a pitch count in camp is another red flag yet again. I recall people saying that when OTAs were going on and Romo was limited that it would be ok because he would be full go for camp - which is all that matters. And now the story has changed again and the same defense is being brought up again.

Then you have the ex-players, other media, and sources - people that are close to the team - tell you the opposite.

Rafeal Vela from Cowboys Nation documented the wincing, slower stretching and getting up, and overall body language - with pictures - of how Romo was dealing with back pain in last years training camp.

Joey Ickes from BTB has already documented some of the poor mechanics Romo had last year due to the back injury.

And now you have Babe and Troy - two former QBs with back injuries - that tell you they are concerned as well.

But go ahead and take what the team tell you, even when it changes day to day.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
The fact that Romo was a no-show at the afternoon practice is just a bit disconcerting. Maybe Babe Laughenberg made more sense in his assertions than most of us might suspect on the surface. Despite Tony's and the staff's assurances about his back being nothing to be concerned about, there appears to be at least some cause for pause. Don't get me wrong, I wish Romo well but it's beginning to seem as though we might get to see just what we have in Weeden somewhat sooner than later -- just sayin'. Granted, it's early yet -- just the 2nd day of TC. Let's just hope these wee seeds of doubt can gradually be cast aside. Sigh . . .

As someone wrote, maybe on a different board, that Garrett camps always have players taking a knee for a practice. If he was healthy coming in it probably would raise an eyebrow to how early it happened. Since he is coming off injury I can understand it when I take a step back and look at the situation.

Also, Romo is a vet player who has essentially been in this system for years now. Guys like him and Witten can probably take a few practices off without hurting them and their understanding of the O.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
if romo does not practice today will be more than a little concerning will be a sign of real trouble

Staubacher

Reaction score
Ok, but so far this season what the Cowboys have said is that Tony is sitting out a practice and they are being cautious with him. He did play 15 games last year regardless of his back issue. I'm not sure what you want them to SAY, I only worry about what they DO. And what they are doing is planning on Romo being their starting QB while easing him back in and also getting Weeden ready just in case.

For me that is enough. I'm not a doctor and I don't have or demand inside info. There is a reason every single NFL team does not release every bit of info about a player, especially their franchise QB. I really don't care too much if Romo misses some practices if it helps him be ready for the real games. I'll hope for the best but if it doesn't pan out I'll get behind Weeden.

It ceases to amaze me what people will immediately dismiss when they are being told conflicting things.

This staff has a terrible history of reporting injury statuses on players. Fans and the DFW media have been lied to over and over, yet they still keep believing whatever the team says. Going from full-go to now Tony has a pitch count in camp is another red flag yet again. I recall people saying that when OTAs were going on and Romo was limited that it would be ok because he would be full go for camp - which is all that matters. And now the story has changed again and the same defense is being brought up again.

Then you have the ex-players, other media, and sources - people that are close to the team - tell you the opposite.

Rafeal Vela from Cowboys Nation documented the wincing, slower stretching and getting up, and overall body language - with pictures - of how Romo was dealing with back pain in last years training camp.

Joey Ickes from BTB has already documented some of the poor mechanics Romo had last year due to the back injury.

And now you have Babe and Troy - two former QBs with back injuries - that tell you they are concerned as well.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
I don't care if they have to wheel Tony on the field during the season as long as Weeden doesn't play.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
As someone wrote, maybe on a different board, that Garrett camps always have players taking a knee for a practice. If he was healthy coming in it probably would raise an eyebrow to how early it happened. Since he is coming off injury I can understand it when I take a step back and look at the situation.

Also, Romo is a vet player who has essentially been in this system for years now. Guys like him and Witten can probably take a few practices off without hurting them and their understanding of the O.

Well, there's likely a good chance you're right and there's absolutely nothing to worry about. Be that as it may, to make up for all those of you who aren't about to show concern, there's always gotta be someone like me ready to step in and sweat it out for ya.

DejectedFan1996

Reaction score
Seems as though there are a group of fans that are concerned and they seem to be getting slightly attacked which, in my opinion, is a little uncalled for. They have the right to be concerned based on the history of this team reporting injuries. The reactions they have may just be blown out of portion when it's all said and done, but there isn't any reason to have animosity for those that are concerned. It's not as if they don't have a legitimate reason for being worried based on all of the reports.

Personally, I don't feel as though the sky is falling. But at the same time, Romo missing any kind of practice, contact or not, can't be looked at as something "positive." Didn't say it was negative, but it's not a positive IMO of course.

DFWJC

Reaction score
It is very common for teams to be coy about health related stuff with the players.
Most teams are like this, btw. I guess New England is the worst, but most don't feel the requirement to give 100% disclosure to a bunch of media knuckleheads.

But for that reason, it's understandable why some here are already in panic mode.

I think he is on a pitch count and a common sense "I know my body" mode at this point. It would not surprise me at all if he felt something...and I don't think that would out the ordinary whatsoever.
I think they should be ULTRA cautious all the way up to the SF game. They invested heavily in this guy and there's no need to be stupid about it just to appease our curiosity.
On the other hand, it's clear he wants to maximize his pitch count in live action vs walk through.
Today is live action.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I don't think anybody takes the team's injury reports seriously. Then again, I'm not sure anybody is saying that here, anyway.

I listen to what the players themselves have to say. You still have to take it with a grain of salt. But when what they do then matches what they say they're going to do, it makes you suspect that maybe things are probably more or less on schedule.

Bluestang

Reaction score
I don't think anybody takes the team's injury reports seriously. Then again, I'm not sure anybody is saying that here, anyway.

I listen to what the players themselves have to say. You still have to take it with a grain of salt. But when what they do then matches what they say they're going to do, it makes you suspect that maybe things are probably more or less on schedule.

According to the end of OTAs/minicamp Romo even said he would be full-go.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Good lord is there not going to be a concern for a 34 year old man who has just had back surgery and wants to play NFL football?

To be surprised by pain is to deny what the risk Romo is inherently to this team.

He is going to be sore and experience pain. Especially when he attempts to resume the physical part of the game.

The real question is will the conditions become bad enough to negatively impact the team and the plans the Cowboys had when they signed him to the extension?

We will have to wait for that answer.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
According to the end of OTAs/minicamp Romo even said he would be full-go.

I don't recall: did he say he'd be ready for the start of camp, or that he'd be full-go? Everything I recall hearing on the topic had him easing back in. I know he's talked several times about his tendency to overdo it because he's competitive and trying to listen to the training staff and be smart about things instead.

EDIT: here's an OTA quote, anyway, where he says he ultimately wants to be 100% for camp:

"“Your ultimate goal is to be 100 percent on Day 1 of training camp so you don’t miss any time,” Romo said. “That’s what, starting this process, you were thinking. Now I feel good enough that I’m taking reps and doing things out there, but at the same token you want to be smart and not do anything to set it back, per se. But I don’t envision anything like that happening at this point.”

Tawney88

Reaction score
Not sure if Romo did but the brain trust certainly made it seem that way.