Garrett still needs to go

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know the OP was tongue-in-cheek, but seriously, I'm so glad that Garrett now knows what a weapon Choice is with the screen pass. This will help down the line.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I have two complaints that I think still hold true when it comes to Garrett:

1) I'm glad we have a vertical offense, but you have to find a way to manufacture short yardage in the passing game. Adopt some WCO philosophy and we would be golden. TOo much of our passing game seems designed to be 15 yards +, which just doesn't always work.

2) How you don't go into a game with a defense like that and plan some Max Protect in your first half offense blows my mind. WE damn near killed romo because we wouldn't keep in some extra blockers. You can actually do some things with only 3 receivers in pattern when they blitz that way.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;2494435 said:
I know the OP was tongue-in-cheek, but seriously, I'm so glad that Garrett now knows what a weapon Choice is with the screen pass. This will help down the line.

Barber's pedestrian 3.9 YPC for the season is just that. Pedestrian. Granted he's injured, but he is not playing like a pro-bowler in the least.

I am in favor of Choice getting more carries. He has more burst (which Barber's injury effects greatly) and he seems to go north and south and dance less.

I have really liked what I've seen from Choice. He is out-performing Barber, and deserves to see his snaps increase.

Batman

Reaction score
You know what, come to think of it, I think Garrett should be fired right now, so we can get a real offensive coordinator in here. Here are just a few reasons I think Garrett should be fired -

1. He did not design the right plays so that Romo could be the first QB to throw 8 TD passes in a game, and he did such a terrible job of game planning he cost Romo the chance of being the 1st QB to throw for 600 yards in a game.

2. The fact that Garrett could not have our offense put up at least 63 points against the Giants is just unacceptable. Fire him now. He is a joke.

3. Our offense did not have the ball for 59 minutes and 59 seconds during the game. That is just completely unacceptable for an offensive coordinator. We really need to get rid of Garrett.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Crown Royal;2494446 said:
I have two complaints that I think still hold true when it comes to Garrett:

1) I'm glad we have a vertical offense, but you have to find a way to manufacture short yardage in the passing game. Adopt some WCO philosophy and we would be golden. TOo much of our passing game seems designed to be 15 yards +, which just doesn't always work.

2) How you don't go into a game with a defense like that and plan some Max Protect in your first half offense blows my mind. WE damn near killed romo because we wouldn't keep in some extra blockers. You can actually do some things with only 3 receivers in pattern when they blitz that way.

I agree with you. But he did start calling the screens and draws even if a little too late. It shouldn't have taken the entire first quarter to get that under control. I'd say he had a good game. Esp since we won. But not to be able to predict what was coming is a little on the slow side.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Sasquatch;2494290 said:
It was nice to see Redball discovering the screen after Romo got hammered a few times. There's still hope. :)

The screen, dump offs to the rb's and running to the right. Took him 2 1/2 quarters but Jerry's kid finally adjusted and protected his QB after Romo was taking his licks. Garrett is not the answer and thankfully Wades defense keeps the game under control so that Garrett has time to adjust. He's not able to get RW or T.O in games with the plays he calls.

Wade deserves a lot of credit and I am one in the past that lost confidence in him. I have confidence in Wade leading the defense but I am still not seeing the offense and defense playing at an equally high level at the same time and he needs to get that going to be a great head coach ad totally get my confidence back. Special teams is getting better at covering kickoffs and we are what we are return wise with Felix Jones. Wades getting this team to play now though, but there is a lot more potential to tap out offensively.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2494266 said:
I agree! Why throw the ball at your own 10 yardline when you need to run the clock. Romo was smart to push the ball and took the safety.

1st and goal, Garrett goes shut-gun with a draw. :bang2:

Well said pick, same thoughts in my mind at that time. What a stupid OC - play call, when you are backed up at your end zone and your QB is banged up and you ae leading , any non-genius OC will go to run the ball 2-3 yards punt the ball and let def play. Why get your QB killed.

Proctor didn't move an inch when Tuck and kiwanuka went through. What a fine guard :banghead:

deepBLUE

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2494244 said:
We only scored 20 points tonight. That is below our season average of 24 points per game. That is inexcusable.

Our offense tonight was stagnant, we couldnt run the ball, and Owens only had three catches. How this guy has a job here is a mystery to me.

:rolleyes:
garrett is going to get romo killed. call some 3 step drops, call some slants to roy williams...call something besides 7 step drops (when your qb is hurting, & proctor sucks)...

Aikbach

Reaction score
After the score was cut to 14-8 I was scared it was gong to be a de ja vu from last week with the defense playing et another phenomenal game only to be screwed by an productive offense.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
AKATheRake;2494536 said:
The screen, dump offs to the rb's and running to the right. Took him 2 1/2 quarters but Jerry's kid finally adjusted and protected his QB after Romo was taking his licks. Garrett is not the answer and thankfully Wades defense keeps the game under control so that Garrett has time to adjust. He's not able to get RW or T.O in games with the plays he calls.

Wade deserves a lot of credit and I am one in the past that lost confidence in him. I have confidence in Wade leading the defense but I am still not seeing the offense and defense playing at an equally high level at the same time and he needs to get that going to be a great head coach ad totally get my confidence back. Special teams is getting better at covering kickoffs and we are what we are return wise with Felix Jones. Wades getting this team to play now though, but there is a lot more potential to tap out offensively.

Just like the would-be 40 yarder that TO dropped, and the two deep balls that he was open on that Romo mis-fired on. Of course that is Garretts fault.

And as far as Roy, he came in mid-season. I dont care what the reports say about him knowing the playbook, he has been playing with this team not even half a season. Him and Romo just need to find a comfort level

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
deepBLUE;2494546 said:
garrett is going to get romo killed. call some 3 step drops, call some slants to roy williams...call something besides 7 step drops (when your qb is hurting, & proctor sucks)...

It isnt Garrett thats going to get Romo killed. Guys have gotta block. Proctor at least has to get in the way or something.

MONT17

Reaction score
unless Red Jesus can bless Romo with a better arm not sure what you want Garrett to do... I blame Red for not playing TC more but what can you do?

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
I don't care if you have the Sir Isaac Newton or Albert Einstein of offensive playcalling, he will look like the love child of Beavis and Butthead if the OL is piss poor in their execution.

Our OL is horrible. Gurode is very inconsistent with his hiking, not only where he hikes it, but his timing. Tony looks like an acrobat on a highwire out there when he is in the shotgun thanks to Gurode. Proctor blocks like finest matadors in Spain. His Ole style is getting Tony killed. Flozell gets used by speed rushers off the edge. The entire OL is penalty prone. I wouldnt be surprised if our OL has amassed more penalties than several teams have overall.

So of course many of our plays fail...is that Garrett's fault that we only get like 1 or 2 seconds for most plays to develop? NO. The OL needs to step up and protect their QB and block for our RBs.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Biggems;2494632 said:
I don't care if you have the Sir Isaac Newton or Albert Einstein of offensive playcalling, he will look like the love child of Beavis and Butthead if the OL is piss poor in their execution.

Our OL is horrible. Gurode is very inconsistent with his hiking, not only where he hikes it, but his timing. Tony looks like an acrobat on a highwire out there when he is in the shotgun thanks to Gurode. Proctor blocks like finest matadors in Spain. His Ole style is getting Tony killed. Flozell gets used by speed rushers off the edge. The entire OL is penalty prone. I wouldnt be surprised if our OL has amassed more penalties than several teams have overall.

So of course many of our plays fail...is that Garrett's fault that we only get like 1 or 2 seconds for most plays to develop? NO. The OL needs to step up and protect their QB and block for our RBs.

An actual post was made in the game thread was "Garrett needs to have better protection schemes, because the Oline is getting owned"...this was after the safety.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I think that Red is an OK off. Coordinator. I'm a little disappointed in his playcalling his year and he could really do better.

Here's my laundry list for Red:

1. Romo needs to be moved around more. Why are we letting Romo sit in the pocket while blitzers are teeing off on him? He is not Bledsoe yet it seems that his slowly trying to be a pocketpasser. Why don't we utilize rollouts and more play action to keep the defense guessing? Remember, Romo was at his best when the pocket broke and he scrambled. Why have we abandoned moving Romo around?

2. Red has become predictable. He always runs no 1st down these days even though the safety cheats up in the box. Once in a while a play action pass would do the trick. Or just like last year, when our running game wasn't working and our passing game was - we completely went to a passing attack. Not saying to give up no the run. But all we do run on 1st down and its becoming predictable.

3. Red needs to have Romo shorten the passing game. The reason Romo is being obliterated is because were waiting for the routes to complete 15 and 20 yards down the field.

4. Get rid of those stupid gadget plays. No more running plays to Owens or those silly reverses.

5. Lastly, he needs to be unpredictable with his playcailng. I'm sick of us not making the yards on 3rd and short. Just let Romo sneak it in or do a play action. When everyone knows Barber is getting it why give it to him?

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
nalam;2494537 said:
Well said pick, same thoughts in my mind at that time. What a stupid OC - play call, when you are backed up at your end zone and your QB is banged up and you ae leading , any non-genius OC will go to run the ball 2-3 yards punt the ball and let def play. Why get your QB killed.

Proctor didn't move an inch when Tuck and kiwanuka went through. What a fine guard :banghead:

Whats amazing is that we did the same exact thing during the Pitt game. If he's worth that kind of dough why hasn't he learned that that was a bad play?

A good coordinator would have called a play action on 1st down. And a delay draw in shotgun formation on 2nd down.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
20 Points against the Giants is bad now lol? And its not about the points. Not with me anyway. We should've had more if we'd stop killing ourselves. But I liked what I saw today. I saw Roy and Crayton in motion today. I just don't understand why we waited so late to do this but its better now than never.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2494316 said:
Did you miss the little :rolleyes: underneath my post?

The entire post was laden with sarcasm.
That wasn't meant for you, but for those who keep wanting to remove every link to this team that we have. They know who they are. ;)

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
ConstantReboot;2494678 said:
I think that Red is an OK off. Coordinator. I'm a little disappointed in his playcalling his year and he could really do better.

Here's my laundry list for Red:

1. Romo needs to be moved around more. Why are we letting Romo sit in the pocket while blitzers are teeing off on him? He is not Bledsoe yet it seems that his slowly trying to be a pocketpasser. Why don't we utilize rollouts and more play action to keep the defense guessing? Remember, Romo was at his best when the pocket broke and he scrambled. Why have we abandoned moving Romo around?

2. Red has become predictable. He always runs no 1st down these days even though the safety cheats up in the box. Once in a while a play action pass would do the trick. Or just like last year, when our running game wasn't working and our passing game was - we completely went to a passing attack. Not saying to give up no the run. But all we do run on 1st down and its becoming predictable.

3. Red needs to have Romo shorten the passing game. The reason Romo is being obliterated is because were waiting for the routes to complete 15 and 20 yards down the field.

4. Get rid of those stupid gadget plays. No more running plays to Owens or those silly reverses.

5. Lastly, he needs to be unpredictable with his playcailng. I'm sick of us not making the yards on 3rd and short. Just let Romo sneak it in or do a play action. When everyone knows Barber is getting it why give it to him?

1. I agree completely. If a pass rush is getting to us, I think moving the pocket is a great idea.

2. Choice's 38 yard TD run was on first and ten. If the blocking is there, it doesnt matter what down it is. Again, execution.

3. We are an aggressive offense. Some QB's read the defense short to deep. Our offense is the opposite. Our first read is down the field, and then check down.

4. What gadget plays are you talking about? I haven't seen a single gadget play all year. We are one of the few teams who has not run the Wildcat.

5. Like the TD pass to Anderson coming off PA on the goalline? On 3rd and short, the defense knows whats coming probably 80% of the time. It's no secret that the majority of the time, the team is going to run the ball. We did a terrible job blocking on 3rd and short today. Especially Procter. We had linemen in the backfield all day long on our runs until the last drive. (How's that for adjusting)

I dont know why I'm putting forth so much energy to defend Garrett. I just think he is doing a good job, and catching alot of heat, that is unjustified. Our players need to make plays on the field, and today we did that for the most part.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Jason Garrett called a great game. The one pass out of the endzone (the safety and close call) was questionable, imo. That was a great play by Romo when he knocked the ball out of the endzone. He saved a TD and probably the game.

However, I thought Garrett and Romo took the Giants defense to school when it had to do it.

That is the prettiest 20 points that I have ever see.

I vote this:

Garrett stays.