Garrett still needs to go

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
dbair1967;2494585 said:
It isnt Garrett thats going to get Romo killed. Guys have gotta block. Proctor at least has to get in the way or something.

Biggems;2494632 said:
I don't care if you have the Sir Isaac Newton or Albert Einstein of offensive playcalling, he will look like the love child of Beavis and Butthead if the OL is piss poor in their execution.

Our OL is horrible. Gurode is very inconsistent with his hiking, not only where he hikes it, but his timing. Tony looks like an acrobat on a highwire out there when he is in the shotgun thanks to Gurode. Proctor blocks like finest matadors in Spain. His Ole style is getting Tony killed. Flozell gets used by speed rushers off the edge. The entire OL is penalty prone. I wouldnt be surprised if our OL has amassed more penalties than several teams have overall.

So of course many of our plays fail...is that Garrett's fault that we only get like 1 or 2 seconds for most plays to develop? NO. The OL needs to step up and protect their QB and block for our RBs.

Well then it is up to the OC to recognize that the OL is not executing the way he would prefer and provide some help. You just can't run a 7 step drop all go play that often. You need a game plan with max protect and short drops. Sorry that our offense is 'designed to read deep to short,' but against a dominant defense that doesn't allow that, you can't be that stubborn.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Crown Royal;2494984 said:
Well then it is up to the OC to recognize that the OL is not executing the way he would prefer and provide some help. You just can't run a 7 step drop all go play that often. You need a game plan with max protect and short drops. Sorry that our offense is 'designed to read deep to short,' but against a dominant defense that doesn't allow that, you can't be that stubborn.

Did you miss the TE screen that got Witten down to the one yard line? Or the screen to Choice, followed by the quick pass to Owens in the 2nd quarter when their pass rush started to get to us?

Dont know what game you watched man, but we ran plenty of different pass plays. And going 20-30 for over 225 yards and 2 TD's says we're doing something right.

And btw, it is the quarterback's job to make adjustments at the line. If Romo see's a blitz, it is his responsibility to audible out, and/or make the necessary line adjustments. He also needs to identify the Mike and his hot receiver, and act accordingly. The OC may call the play in the huddle, but there's so many variables that come into play once you get up to the line.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2495036 said:
Did you miss the TE screen that got Witten down to the one yard line? Or the screen to Choice, followed by the quick pass to Owens in the 2nd quarter when their pass rush started to get to us?

Dont know what game you watched man, but we ran plenty of different pass plays. And going 20-30 for over 225 yards and 2 TD's says we're doing something right.

And btw, it is the quarterback's job to make adjustments at the line. If Romo see's a blitz, it is his responsibility to audible out, and/or make the necessary line adjustments. He also needs to identify the Mike and his hot receiver, and act accordingly. The OC may call the play in the huddle, but there's so many variables that come into play once you get up to the line.

You must have missed my first post on the subject, so I have quoted it for you below. Pertinent point in bold. They had one quick pass to owens, and everything else was down the field on 5-7 step drops with maybe one blocker staying in to help. You HAVE to design plays that are meant for short yardage passing. THey shouldn't just be halftime adjustments.

And that includes short plays to WRs. Everything you mentioned is short plays to the TE or RB. Why can't you have some drag routes, slants, etc. more a part of your offense?

As far as being up to the QB - it isn't as if he can get to the LOS and just call a brand new play. The Audible only povides a few different options. It's up to the OC to understand the flow of the game and call the plays that would be appropriate.

Crown Royal;2494446 said:
I have two complaints that I think still hold true when it comes to Garrett:

1) I'm glad we have a vertical offense, but you have to find a way to manufacture short yardage in the passing game. Adopt some WCO philosophy and we would be golden. TOo much of our passing game seems designed to be 15 yards +, which just doesn't always work.

2) How you don't go into a game with a defense like that and plan some Max Protect in your first half offense blows my mind. WE damn near killed romo because we wouldn't keep in some extra blockers. You can actually do some things with only 3 receivers in pattern when they blitz that way.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Where's the roll out???!!! You're getting our boy killed doooooofus!!!!! Proctor and Gurode let defenders in up the middle all night, get him out of there!!!:bang2::bang2::bang2::bang2:

Roll him to the left, roll him to the right. duh!!:banghead:

links18

Reaction score
I was calling for roll-outs all night, but they never came. Romo is at his best when he is on the move, scrambling and improvising. Why we are not taking advantage of that in the play calling is beyond me. Garrett finally called some screens and we were finally able to execute them, but the Giants flat out laid down on Choice's TD run following the Witten dagger to the heart. Check the Giant's board and see how many of their fans are calling their defense out for laying down on that one.....

Doomsday101

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2494244 said:
We only scored 20 points tonight. That is below our season average of 24 points per game. That is inexcusable.

Our offense tonight was stagnant, we couldnt run the ball, and Owens only had three catches. How this guy has a job here is a mystery to me.

:rolleyes:

You have to be kidding? We faced one of the top defense here is a clue it is hard to put up big points on top rate defense I don't care who the OC is.

newlander

Reaction score
wake up gents....of course it was sarcasm. I loved his mix of play calling last night: and I truly believe it'll be more innovative as guys get healthier: IF they do get healthier that is. The more I think about it, the more I realize just how bad these injuries have been: you can't use your 3rd string guard in this league and expect to roll people. Look at the gspots last night....two 2nd stringers in there on the oline and manning almost got killed....it makes a huge difference. Let alone Felix being hurt, MB 3 being hurt, RW being hurt, ROMO being hurt.....it matters, and it isn't all redball's fault. But he gets the brunt of the blame because he makes 3 mil per year, and is the latest "genius" in the game. As Tuna use to say: put away the anointing oil. That said, he called a solid game last night.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
newlander;2495778 said:
wake up gents....of course it was sarcasm. I loved his mix of play calling last night: and I truly believe it'll be more innovative as guys get healthier: IF they do get healthier that is.

Around here it is hard to know when it is sarcasm or the normal moaning a crying

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
ConstantReboot;2494678 said:
1. Romo needs to be moved around more. Why are we letting Romo sit in the pocket while blitzers are teeing off on him? He is not Bledsoe yet it seems that his slowly trying to be a pocketpasser. Why don't we utilize rollouts and more play action to keep the defense guessing? Remember, Romo was at his best when the pocket broke and he scrambled. Why have we abandoned moving Romo around?

I've wondered this myself.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Sasquatch;2496017 said:
I've wondered this myself.

Because when you roll the pocket you are cutting the field in half. I think it is a good ideal from time to time to have him roll out but by and large you don't want to take half the field away from yourself

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2496026 said:
Because when you roll the pocket you are cutting the field in half. I think it is a good ideal from time to time to have him roll out but by and large you don't want to take half the field away from yourself

I don't think it needs to be implemented on a regular basis but it certainly should be used to counter pressure when the offensive line isn't performing up to par.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Sasquatch;2496033 said:
I don't think it needs to be implemented on a regular basis but it certainly should be used to counter pressure when the offensive line isn't performing up to par.

I think at times it is a good ideal but I think the majority of the time he needs to be able to use the entire field. Dallas OL in the 1st half got Romo killed but 2nd half I felt the line started doing a better job of protecting for the most part. Not sure if they made some blocking adjustement but Romo started getting a bit more time in the 2nd half of the game

Garland powerplay

Reaction score
The screen passes were genius and way overdue , this needs to be used against the Eagles blitzes. Stop the rush with run and screens.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Garland powerplay;2498244 said:
The screen passes were genius and way overdue , this needs to be used against the Eagles blitzes. Stop the rush with run and screens.
we could use a few against the Ravens on Saturday too.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Garrett is going to get better as he gains experience. As much as I have been against Wade, I think he and Garrett need to stay together for another year. We need stability in our coaching staff.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Doomsday;2498258 said:
Garrett is going to get better as he gains experience. As much as I have been against Wade, I think he and Garrett need to stay together for another year. We need stability in our coaching staff.

Accountability, and leadership. ie coaching...

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Rampage;2498248 said:
we could use a few against the Ravens on Saturday too.

I havent seen much of them this yr, but the couple times I did watch (including some on sunday) they didnt get alot of pressure on the QB's.

I honestly am not all that worried about this game unless Romo cant play or is severely limited. Our WR's and TE's will get open on their guys.

If we avoid turnovers we'll win comfortably. Unless our D just lays a huge egg, I cant see how they'll score much on us.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
It'd be real nice to see some slants on hot reads to defeat the blitz. We have one of the best players ever for the slant. Why don't we use him that way.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967;2498276 said:
I havent seen much of them this yr, but the couple times I did watch (including some on sunday) they didnt get alot of pressure on the QB's.

I honestly am not all that worried about this game unless Romo cant play or is severely limited. Our WR's and TE's will get open on their guys.

If we avoid turnovers we'll win comfortably. Unless our D just lays a huge egg, I cant see how they'll score much on us.
I'm gonna be nervous cause #1 we can't lose and #2 it's the last game at Texas stadium so emotions and the energy will be through the roof for both teams. hope Barbers toe is feeling better and I hope Holland is playing.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Doomsday;2498258 said:

Ding ding ding, we have a winner Johnny.

Despite what many believe, we have a very good staff. The grass is NOT always greener on the other side. But this staff was assembled so randomly that they need time to gel, just like a team.

Has our coaching been perfect this year? Far from it. But they are doing a good job and to tear everything down and rebuild is the last thing we want to do with this much talent.