Garrett sucks

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Just needed to get that off my chest and this seemed like the place for it.

Those high school schemes that we run the same way whether we have the Phil Costa line or the Fredbeard line really piss me off too.

The Zack Martin pick and getting a play caller with a clue saved his job last year.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
enhanced-32332-1406670875-33.jpg

DFWJC

Reaction score
The corn in Garrett's, uh, crapola, knows more about offensive football than just about anyone in this forum. I won't name names. :D

We are talking about someone with a very curious and impressive mind--always trying to learn more-- that's been around the game at the highest level his entire life.

I won't make an argument either way on his game plans (though even that is a group effort), but to question is overall knowledge is ludicrous.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I think Garrett is a very good HC. I like the way he visits with Krzyzewski often, as well as others, to learn how they run their programs. He continuously try's to improve himself. We're starting to see the fruits of those efforts and will probably continue to do so.

Hoov

Reaction score
Just needed to get that off my chest and this seemed like the place for it.

Those high school schemes that we run the same way whether we have the Phil Costa line or the Fredbeard line really piss me off too.

The Zack Martin pick and getting a play caller with a clue saved his job last year.

Really ?

Still cant help yourself from posting about how Garretts scheme sucks after all this time ?

What did you expect to get out of this thread that you didnt get from your other posts ?

Self sooth man, self sooth.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
of course he sucks...look at the last couple of years...as we have taken more freedom from him and put good people in place, voila, he went from sucking continually to doing pretty decent.

at most now, he's like the dad of the team and the team plays to make him proud. he's got the respect of the team...but beyond that...he doesnt do a whole ton except call timeouts and ice his own kicker.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
of course he sucks...look at the last couple of years...as we have taken more freedom from him and put good people in place, voila, he went from sucking continually to doing pretty decent.

at most now, he's like the dad of the team and the team plays to make him proud. he's got the respect of the team...but beyond that...he doesnt do a whole ton except call timeouts and ice his own kicker.

I get that people actually believe this sort of argument, but I always wonder how they think he got the respect of the team in the first place? As much work as these guys all put in, you can't fake that.

I keep thinking that at some point he accumulation of praise from players, coaches, and management for Jason Garrett is going to get weighty enough that even the most ardent hold outs finally shrug and say 'meh, I put too much emphasis on the team's record early on. Sue me.' So far, that hasn't happened yet.

But then, we've still got holdouts around here who think Tony Romo is part of the problem, so I guess maybe that was incredibly naive of me from the get-go.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
I get that people actually believe this sort of argument, but I always wonder how they think he got the respect of the team in the first place? As much work as these guys all put in, you can't fake that.

I keep thinking that at some point he accumulation of praise from players, coaches, and management for Jason Garrett is going to get weighty enough that even the most ardent hold outs finally shrug and say 'meh, I put too much emphasis on the team's record early on. Sue me.' So far, that hasn't happened yet.

But then, we've still got holdouts around here who think Tony Romo is part of the problem, so I guess maybe that was incredibly naive of me from the get-go.

not true...culture is the one thing i gave him credit for and that JG does control.

dont knock culture...all the time when people talk about their job they first mention the culture and talk about if they like the boss or not. i give JG credit for like-ability....just not much else. i think his ability to work with Jerry heightens his like-ability factor.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
not true...culture is the one thing i gave him credit for and that JG does control.

dont knock culture...all the time when people talk about their job they first mention the culture and talk about if they like the boss or not. i give JG credit for like-ability....just not much else. i think his ability to work with Jerry heightens his like-ability factor.

Oh, *I'm* not selling culture short. But then I've been saying JG has been doing a good job overall the entire time he's been here. It's been obvious to me from the start where the change had come from and that it was significant. I just don't understand a mindset that thinks the players are giving a coach credit for a culture change if he's not simultaneously contributing in all of the traditional ways a head coach contributes.

No matter, Garret's coaches and players and the DC ownership makes it really clear that they love him and that he's a very good coach. I just don't understand that segment of fans that refuses to buy it despite the accumulation of evidence to the contrary.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
Oh, *I'm* not selling culture short. But then I've been saying JG has been doing a good job overall the entire time he's been here. It's been obvious to me from the start where the change had come from and that it was significant. I just don't understand a mindset that thinks the players are giving a coach credit for a culture change if he's not simultaneously contributing in all of the traditional ways a head coach contributes.

No matter, Garret's coaches and players and the DC ownership makes it really clear that they love him and that he's a very good coach. I just don't understand that segment of fans that refuses to buy it despite the accumulation of evidence to the contrary.

because he sucked as a play caller...take away play calling abilities and VOILA...team improves!

Coincidence? I think not.

Drafting people? Whatever input he had...sucked. Bring in mcclay and VOILA...team improves!

Another coincidence? Hardly.

his own GM and owner said he was "learning on the job"...people hate coworkers who are learning on the job typically.

I think there is the history and nostalgia he brings to the team that players love. Who else can wax eloquently about 3 superbowls with emmitt smith on this team besides JG? And, he's a educated dude, so he can make it all sound really well. He got to see all the details of a dynasty team clearly and deeply while bench warming for aikman. I dont like JG and Id sit there and listen about 3 superbowls with a huge grin on my face as the light reflects off his bench warmer bling.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
because he sucked as a play caller...take away play calling abilities and VOILA...team improves!

Coincidence? I think not.

Drafting people? Whatever input he had...sucked. Bring in mcclay and VOILA...team improves!

Another coincidence? Hardly.

his own GM and owner said he was "learning on the job"...people hate coworkers who are learning on the job typically.

I think there is the history and nostalgia he brings to the team that players love. Who else can wax eloquently about 3 superbowls with emmitt smith on this team besides JG? And, he's a educated dude, so he can make it all sound really well. He got to see all the details of a dynasty team clearly and deeply while bench warming for aikman. I dont like JG and Id sit there and listen about 3 superbowls with a huge grin on my face as the light reflects off his bench warmer bling.

None of these are coincidences. JG's relationship with Lineman wasn't a coincidence. Neither was the work he did overhauling the scouting department and elevating McClay (not that you're correct that his input necessarily ever 'sucked', anyway).

The owner (stupidly) said he was learning how to be a Superbowl-winning head coach on the job. And that that wasn't a skill Jimmy had had when he started, either. Still dumb to say as it undermined his HC, but it's a fairly important distinction.

It's that last paragraph, where you think clearly he can't arrange his offense, can't arrange his player acquisition, and can't coach his team but that he can get players to love him by waxing eloquent and sounding well that I have a hard time with. If he really were that type of guy, the players and staff would see through him immediately. Clearly, the opposite is true and they instead go on record raving about the environment in Dallas and how smart and organized and competent the HC is.

That doesn't happen just by telling stories about that one time Irvin snorted a line off of his clipboard at halftime.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
None of these are coincidences. JG's relationship with Lineman wasn't a coincidence. Neither was the work he did overhauling the scouting department and elevating McClay (not that you're correct that his input necessarily ever 'sucked', anyway).

The owner (stupidly) said he was learning how to be a Superbowl-winning head coach on the job. And that that wasn't a skill Jimmy had had when he started, either. Still dumb to say as it undermined his HC, but it's a fairly important distinction.

It's that last paragraph, where you think clearly he can't arrange his offense, can't arrange his player acquisition, and can't coach his team but that he can get players to love him by waxing eloquent and sounding well that I have a hard time with. If he really were that type of guy, the players and staff would see through him immediately. Clearly, the opposite is true and they instead go on record raving about the environment in Dallas and how smart and organized and competent the HC is.

That doesn't happen just by telling stories about that one time Irvin snorted a line off of his clipboard at halftime.

so then whats your reasoning for him failing for year after year? accident?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
so then whats your reasoning for him failing for year after year? accident?

Not sure what you're referring to by 'failing.' You mean the three 8-8 seasons? First of all, I don't consider them necessarily to be coaching failures as he kept a fairly bad team in post-season contention each year.

I think he took over a 1-7 team, got them to 8-8, and then started the process we've since seen of rebuilding a roster that was in obvious need of repair with no extra draft picks and no cap space. In fact, negative cap space relative to recent years when you look at the new CBA and the (bogus) Austin penalty. I think he botched his first DC hire, and the truly bad defenses we had in 2011 and 2012 cost us a realistic shot at the playoffs.

I also think he's made some mistakes in play calling and had a lot to learn on game days, if that helps. It has not been a straight upward trend. But, overall, he's systematically rebuild the secondary, the OL, the coaching staff and, now, the DL and LB corps. He's got a handle on the cap and one of the youngest good teams in football. He's got a tall order in lining up Tony's eventual replacement next, but we have cap space and the roster to do that now where we did not in 2010. And I think all of this has been so obviously building for so long now that it still surprises me that people were arguing with me and calling me a ridiculous homer for insisting that it was happening as recently as last offseason.

That writing has been on the wall in 3 inch headlines as Jimmy would probably say since the halfway point of the 2010 season.